Thread: bo-ema 2 group lever

bo-ema 2 group lever

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi
    Im new here. I have had a 2 group lever machine in my garage for the past 20 years. It is a Bo-ema crema caffe - 2 group lever machine. Model 1133, type A3.
    Can anyone help with date of the machine- I believe it was made at Alexandria. Bo- ema dont have any records - somewhere in late 50s early 60s I think.
    thanks

Re: bo-ema 2 group lever

Hi and welcome Arch
    Have you got a photo?

Also have a look at this CS post does your machine look like this one ?

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1211427070

KK

Hi KK
    No I dont have a photo- I will though. Ive had a look at that site- mine is an older machine apparently- it has chrome mplated sides-curved.
    Im told (by BO-EMA people) that they changed to the flat sides with arrow type deco in late 60s - early 70s.
    Thanks for your reply.
    arch

I got this pic from the boema site of the original and first model

KK

Hey Arch,

If it helps, our Boema is a 1964 model. If yours is older, it may even be late 50s.

-Shanny

Take a look at this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1177033982/0#0

I am guessing it is the model depicted in the first 2 photos in that thread.

Bo-Ema has undergone three or maybe four changes of ownership that I know of. Those machines were (I think) *built during the original ownership and probably in the original factory.

You would be lucky to get an exact dating on it but you could try looking carefully at the boiler. It *may* have a year of manufacture (of the boiler not the machine) stamped onto it somewhere....and it may not.....but it is a good place to start.

Attilio
    first / original CS site sponsor.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5D4E5F543C0 link=1217815076/0#0 date=1217815076
    Hi
    Im new here. I have had a 2 group lever machine in my garage for the past 20 years. It is a Bo-ema crema caffe - 2 group lever machine. Model 1133, type A3.
    Can anyone help with date of the machine- I believe it was made at Alexandria. Bo- ema dont have any records - somewhere in late 50s early 60s I think.
    thanks
    Next time ya on ya need to follow up with John P

He looks like he has teh same machine and only a dif of 3 in the serial number..

AM

Its marked with the following information:
    Serial: 1127
    Type: A3
    240 volts at 14.7 Amps

TC

[movedhere] Brewing Equipment - Extreme Machines ($3000+) [move by] 2mcm.

Here are the pics of a 3 group bo-ema we had under the building. *All I really know is that it was under there for around 20 years or more. *I have worked in the building it was located in for almost 10 years but during that time didnt really hear much about its background.

Apparently the current it lists there is the minimum Im told which is hardcore. It also weight a lot - probably 70-100kg.

As you can see in this pic, the serial is only a six off at 1127. Some of those machine above look almost exactly like it.

Not sure if their group heads are in better condition though.

Nice to see it back so we can have another drool :) Up until recently one of the sponsors Obscura was using a similar vintage 2 group to this and putting out some great coffees

Side pic of theirs in action

The group head look just like on my Faema Lambro- which dates from the 60s I think.

I hear whispers of a road trip for a certain 3 group Boema currently underway ::)

Yep its in good hands on-route to Geelong as I type this ;)

Blog Entries

...and it arrived in Geelong safe and sound at midnight.
    Thanks for all your help John.

The machine is a great restorer and will take pride of place in the new Snobbery when its finished.

It appears that its all there, I had a quick poke around it today and every screw and bolt that I have undone have been little over finger tight... no rust and the chrome might come-up ok with just a good polish (maybe it wont need re-chroming).

It has a sheet of asbestos in the back which will be removed and replaced with ceramic fibre and all the existing wire is the old cloth wrapped stuff which will be modernised too.

On close inspection it also has the gas burner under the boiler so I might even consider setting that up (espresso during a power-out anyone?). The gas burner would certainly help speed-up the 20 odd litre boiler heat-up time too.

Ill post pics in a new thread soon.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 725D574A330 link=1217815079/13#13 date=1273568489
    ...and it arrived in Geelong safe and sound at midnight.
    Thanks for all your help John. *

The machine is a great restorer and will take pride of place in the new Snobbery when its finished. *

It appears that its all there, I had a quick poke around it today and every screw and bolt that I have undone have been little over finger tight... no rust and the chrome might come-up ok with just a good polish (maybe it wont need re-chroming). *

It has a sheet of asbestos in the back which will be removed and replaced with ceramic fibre and all the existing wire is the old cloth wrapped stuff which will be modernised too. *

On close inspection it also has the gas burner under the boiler so I might even consider setting that up (espresso during a power-out anyone?). *The gas burner would certainly help speed-up the 20 odd litre boiler heat-up time too.

I mentioned that in a PM to John...

Great to see it ending up in a place where it can be on show and put to use.

Well done John P and Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by 6649435E270 link=1217815079/13#13 date=1273568489
    Not soon enough! Well done Andy! :)

No probs Andy, Im glad its in good hands and cant wait to see it progress back to working order.

Quote Originally Posted by 143B312C550 link=1217815079/13#13 date=1273568489
    On close inspection it also has the gas burner under the boiler so I might even consider setting that up (espresso during a power-out anyone?). *The gas burner would certainly help speed-up the 20 odd litre boiler heat-up time too
    Thats an interesting feature - you would have to have a non-powered grinder at the ready for that. It would be interesting to see how fast you can get it up and running from a cold start with power and gas ;)

Site Sponsor

Hey all i am currently restoring the same machine. The history on this machine is it was the first model produced by Bo-Ema and is made to replicate a Gaggia America. when they are sitting next to each other the similarity is evident. The body is all brass with an aliminium see-thru gold back which originally had a piece of perplex then a light behind from the history that i can gather they stopped producing these in early 60s then the model with the brass arrows came in. The group on this early model is different also which is evident from the case that covers the pinion and bearings. hope this is helpful.