Thread: Faema E98 Compact S1 problem

Faema E98 Compact S1 problem

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Guys...Ive got an annyoing promblem with my Faema. Basically Ive been having an issue with the machine having some sort of hydraulic blockage, when the machine starts it will reach pressure, but you have to open the milk steamer valve until it spits out the blockage the machine will loose all boiler pressure and then reach pressure again after some time, then the machine operates normally. Weve had the anti-vac valve replaced, but to no avail.......purging the water blockage works but is a bit annoying....OK, so now after a period of hours the water level indicator, the glass tube with the ball in it, is now ever increasing in height, instead of falling its indicating its getting fuller...to the point that the ball gets lodged at the top of the chamber, I thought it was wedged for good, but it reappeared the other day, only to get pushed back up again. When the machine is completely cooled the waterlevel returns to visible and is very low on the gauge. It never used to do this, what would be causing the the ball to continually rise....what should I do. The machine is in a home enviroment, and would be lucky to make 8-10 cups a day.
    Thanks in advance.
    Daniel

DONT USE

Re: Faema E98 Compact S1 problem

hi dan

a possible cause for this could be the sight glass tubes to the boiler are either partially blocked or one is completely blocked

the sight glass and pipework will need to be removed, cleaned and refitted
    the enry holes into the boiler will also need cleaning

beware sight glass can break easily
    graham

Are there any schematic drawings of the boiler paths, or is it a fairly straightforward process....I regularly flush the machine with cleaner, but Im assuming that this doesnt clean or descale the machine in the sight glass?
    Thanks for the reply Graham.

Dan,

The pipes are pretty easy to follow..... but you will need to remove them all as Graham has suggested (and open the boiler as well)....

Before I did a total strip and descale of my La Cimbali I had similar problems ..... the fitting from the boiler to the bottom of the site glass (within the boiler) was totally covered with scale (no water normally gets drawn through the opening so the scale is free to deposit over it!)....

If there is that much scale in that pipe then the rest wont be much better...... so I would think a complete strip, inspection and descale is probably called for.

Can be done by you with care and assuming you have the time available..... or take it in for a service.

DONT USE

dan

if in doubt dont touch

descaling machines works fine if
    it is done often enough
    if it is done properley
    and if it was clean enough before you started to descal

graham

Thanks for the information guys. I was intent on a complete strip down over the weekend, removed all the covers, first order of business was to remove the cap over the sight glass to retrieve the green ball...done. Now to drain the boiler, so I remove the anti-vac valve, then proced to remove the boiler drain plug, which happens to be on the same fitting as the sight glass....a couple of drips, then nothing....thats not right, is it? I got out the trusty bamboo skewer, little poke...and bingo, a flush of water, accompanied by a few bits of copper oxide crap, and some fine particulates, I continued then to pour some water thru the top of the boiler and flush it, then just before i closed it back up I poured some water thru the top of the sight glass, and got a little more rubbish out.
    put it all back together, and now all my problems with the machine are resolved. The sight glass operates as intended, and I no longer have the start-up purge drama I was having before.
    Very happy.
    Thanks.
    Daniel