Thread: Nuova Simonelli Resto

Nuova Simonelli Resto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Thanks, Mal!

As it turns out this project is over now, in a good way. Id considered the temperature gauge, but have just picked up a replacement project.

This Nuova Simonelli Premier 2 group is the new project. The seller asked $200, but ended up letting it go for $170US. The story goes that it was pulled from working service and stored in a warehouse. There are no mice, no bugs and it actually looked pretty good. This may be my punishment for being too thrift-minded (cheap). I took the whole thing apart yesterday and picked up some citric acid to de-lime-scale soak all the copper and brass in. Well see how it goes!

CHAD

Re: Nuova Simonelli Resto

Very cool Chad.... 8-)

Moved the post here so that you keep us in the loop of the restoration (with more piccies of course ;)). Will be a joy to behold when shes finished Id reckon; the NS machines are very well made and produce excellent brews so I reckon youll be very happy mate.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Chad,

Im doing exactly the same as you see this post

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1222403262

When Im putting it back together and have questions I might send you some questions. Luckily Ive downloaded some very good manuals and drawings from NS website.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1225118274/0#1 date=1225181670
    Very cool Chad.... 8-)

Moved the post here so that you keep us in the loop of the restoration (with more piccies of course ;)). Will be a joy to behold when shes finished Id reckon; the NS machines are very well made and produce excellent brews so I reckon youll be very happy mate.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.
    Oops. Thanks for the correction, Mal!

I have a ton of before pictures... so much so that the lithium batteries in the camera died.

I disassembled EVERYTHING. All copper/brass fittings pipes, boiler, heater, groupheads valve innards, etc. were soaked in a citric acid bath for 5 or 6 hours (boiler for a whole day) and finally the scale started to come off. I dont have any pictures of this, though! Youll see in the finished pics (as soon as I get some batteries - regular AA batteries wont even power up the camera!). Also took the frame outside and sprayed it with cleaner/degreaser and used the garden hose to pressure spray it down.

Last night I finished re-assembling, but have yet to test. I still need a 220V circuit run. Hopefully will test tonight! I dont have group gaskets or portafilters yet, but Im still curious to see if the pump and electronics work. Im hopeful, though!

Pics soon...

Mike, Im reading your thread right now! Thanks!
    CHAD

No bugs, no rodents. *It is missing the front panel, the top grate the cups sit on, the grate that sits in the drain pan and both portafilters. Here are some pictures I took at home:

To give credit where credit is due, there is a FANTASTIC website I stubmled across, -->www.espresso-restorations.com<-- and I poured over it for hours. *Finally I got up the nerve to find Citric Acid and start the disassembly. *Unfortunately, the batteries died in my camera and I was a few days removed from it. *So all the geeky pictures of old copper and acid-restored copper are not available. *Im sorry for my laziness!!!!

After virtually every pipe and fitting was removed, they, along with the boiler (1/4 full of white scale glopped up onto the heat element), the heat element, procon pump, disassembled groupheads, disassembled solenoid innards, disassembled check valves - everything went into a basin full of citric acid. *1 tablespoon of citric acid powder (kinda like clumpy sugar) per quart of hot tap water. *All this soaked for about 6 hours. *Everything was shiny like new! *Except the heat element and the boiler, which soaked for about a day and a half. *The nickel plating started to come off the boiler, so I figured that was long enough. *I broke up all the scale I could inside the boiler using screwdrivers and whatever I could bend around to scrape with. *Once finished there were jsut a few dots here and there that I could see. *Im sure that back behind some of the heat-exchanger tubes there might be some more, but it was pretty clean.

While everything was disassembled, I took the naked chassis, void of electronics and the motor, outslide. *I sprayed it down with "Krud Kutter" and scrubbed a little here and there. *The spray nozzle of the garden hose took care of everything else.

Anyway, now it works!

Next step is making a new front panel and drip tray...

CHAD

Very nice Chad... how does the coffee taste!!!

Love the extra long steam wand on the right side:)

Coffee tastes very good! I need to replace the group gaskets, but if I torque my Gaggia PF tight enough (30 degrees past center), the coffee flows like honey. Ive seen those pulls on YouTube before, and was happy to finally see one in person!

Still need NS portafilters too. I hear they are machine specific, dang it.

I have yet to determine if that sweet looking steam wand is a benefit or a liability. Plenty of condensation in there. And oh my - the steam nearly blew the milk out of my little pitcher! Dont need to pull the lever back all the way.

CHAD

Site Sponsor

Nice bargain, Ive got a NS sitting in garage downstairs that Im taking apart with blown mainboard. Where you based chad?

Quote Originally Posted by BrighterSide link=1225118274/0#7 date=1225792065
    Nice bargain, Ive got a NS sitting in garage downstairs that Im taking apart with blown mainboard. Where you based chad?
    Missouri, USA. The electronics are $700USD from Nuova! I checked before I bought this one... thats the gamble.

CHAD