Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: La Marzocco GS3

Re: La Marzocco GS3

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I had a 72 HQ - nice car. Chris are you really talking Ferrari versus HQ, or are you talking Ferrari versus F6/HSV Senator/? :)

Quote Originally Posted by 5F7E75726851561B0 link=1227526713/48#48 date=1237869960

Everyone is an individual. *
    true or at least one would hope

Everyone has an opinion.
    again one would hope so

One mans poison is another mans treasure.
    true

Is a bottle of Grange Hermitage worth heaps more than a good forty *dollar red?
    heck no

Do you have the palate to tell the (supposed) difference?
    hope so

Do you want it regardless?
    no

Can you affiord it?
    yes

Will it make you feel better?
    no, as if there are no benefits whats the point?
    not one for bragging rights

These are not flippant comments, they are the only logical answer to your question.
    thanks for taking the time to try and lead me towards an answer to my question

Quote Originally Posted by 065941575C575B5252515159555A340 link=1227526713/49#49 date=1237871102

I call that hitting the nail on the head denis ;)

A HQ holden will get you to the shop as will a Ferrari...If you have the means to justify the Ferrari, thats your good fortune!

geez, i hope you arent saying an ECM giotto is a HQ

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 1E3B3C3A15540 link=1227526713/52#52 date=1238061929

geez, i hope you arent saying an ECM giotto is a HQ
    Nar John,

I was just suggesting that at GS/3 level, we have to apply the law of diminishing returns. With the best coffee, grinder and mind blowing skills, what can you get...a 5% improvement? *:-?

How does one justify that? Dunno....Does one have to? Dunno ;)

I still love my souped ECM and will someday run it and the GS/3 beside each other on the kitchen bench at home for a week or 2. Ill be curious to see if I can get a consistent difference...

BTW, the Veneziano does look a little like an old holden when I lift the lid... I see a whole heap of air and chassis! *;D

:) - there was enough room under the bonnet of my HQ for a party....pre-pollution gear for a start!

Cheers

Banned

Although if you are comparing a HQ to a 1973 Ferrari, I think the old Holden would have more chance of still running and the HQ would have cost a fraction of the repairs and maintenance the Ferrari has.

TC

The GS/3 has arrived and will be on demo tomorrow morn...

Further details in our sponsor area http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/0#4

To answer an earlier question, changes are:

Touch pad buttons now backlit with white rather than blue
    Reinforcing under drip tray to make it stronger
    Tank is white rather than black- so you can see how much water is in it ;)
    Steam wand will no longer be cool touch as it was found to be fragile. It has been replaced with a conventional wand with rubber.

FWIW, I pulled about 20 shots this arvo, and am beginning to get a feel for the machine...We got some great (and new) flavours from Urban blend....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7C494443776B474E4E4D4D280 link=1227526713/56#56 date=1238134297
    I pulled about 20 shots this arvo, and am beginning to get a feel for the machine
    Hope you drank them all Chris. Will check if youre still online at 3am tomorrow morning. ;D

Hi Chris,

Thanks for indulging Nim and I over the weekend. Your Urban blend is coming up a treat as a cappuccino.

Cheers,

Luca

TC

Any time Luca...

CSers are always welcome to hang at the shed ;)

Chris

Ciao.

My two bobs worth;
    - *the GS3 is a very impressive machine
    - *the Urban Blend really shines as a base for coffees with milk.

Is the GS3 worth the asking? *That is a tough question, and my response wont neccessarily be right for the next person. *Maybe I can give a better answer once Ive put a stack of coffee through mine (and maybe the next person wants to buy my Giotto Premium).

Quote Originally Posted by 4B50594D560B0B0D0F380 link=1227526713/60#60 date=1238576873
    Is the GS3 worth the asking?That is a tough question
    so true shaun
    most of the time (in the realms of upper tiered products) the asking price doesnt reflect any sort of logical formula. 7k for an espresso that most people wouldnt be able to discern from a well executed shot from a silvia makes little sense in dollar terms.

ive got a mate whos into his road bikes and wants to upgrade "and for 1k more ill get carbon-reinforced-whoseywhatsit" and while that stuff dont make sense to me, what does is the fact that he will probably notice the difference and think the extra 1k was worth every bit of it. im sure he WILL the notice the difference compared to his old road bike. now put me on those two bikes and ill reckon hes an absolute freak if he thinks the difference is noticeable.

but gimme a gs3 and a giotto and, im fairly certain that ill be the freak to tell the difference bw the shots, but then again maybe i wont and ill just be the freak who paid the crazy amount of money thinking i would....

have heaps of fun with ur new play thing mate

Quote Originally Posted by 514C484D4646230 link=1227526713/61#61 date=1238579244
    Quote Originally Posted by 4B50594D560B0B0D0F380 link=1227526713/60#60 date=1238576873
    Is the GS3 worth the asking?That is a tough question
    so true shaun
    most of the time (in the realms of upper tiered products) the asking price doesnt reflect any sort of logical formula. 7k for an espresso that most people wouldnt be able to discern from a well executed shot from a silvia makes little sense in dollar terms.

ive got a mate whos into his road bikes and wants to upgrade "and for 1k more ill get carbon-reinforced-whoseywhatsit" and while that stuff dont make sense to me, what does is the fact that he will probably notice the difference and think the extra 1k was worth every bit of it. im sure he WILL the notice the difference compared to his old road bike. now put me on those two bikes and ill reckon hes an absolute freak if he thinks the difference is noticeable.

but gimme a gs3 and a giotto and, im fairly certain that ill be the freak to tell the difference bw the shots, but then again maybe i wont and ill just be the freak who paid the crazy amount of money thinking i would....

have heaps of fun with ur new play thing mate

Yeah, your mate gets bragging rights or wins the pi$$ing contest, truth be told. Unless you are going for ultimate lap times then whatever on the carbon-reinforced-whoseywhatsit.

Your analogy of gs3 and giotto however has an everyday fundamental to it.

Chris

gs3? I wish, not in this lifetime....

Goodonya Shaun, go nuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by 73787D7D68737E7D7E7F627A78110 link=1227526713/3#3 date=1227567664

I had a laugh i was looking at this thread and was going to say the same thing!!
    I have had the pleasure of using the Mirage Triplette Classic with the foot pedal to activate the steam wand it is ABSOLUTELY awesome machine to use.

Would love to get the chance to have a play with the speedster

Any updates on the GS3?

Paddle version released in Australia yet?

why oh why did they remove the "cool touch" steam wand for australia but leave it for the americans?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 062C3E2C4D0 link=1227526713/64#64 date=1245395231
    Any updates on the GS3?

Paddle version released in Australia yet?

why oh why did they remove the "cool touch" steam wand for australia but leave it for the americans?
    Hi Jimmy,

We have 2 arriving in about a fortnight. Both are going to CSers 8-)

The paddle version is now available to the Australian market at the same price as for the regular GS/3. We ordered one last week and expect it to arrive mid-August.

I understand that there were wand failures with the cool touch version so the importers have specified the more robust version.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 547E6C7E1F0 link=1227526713/64#64 date=1245395231
    Maybe Americans are more likely to burn themselves.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 0F332E353F3E293C343F5B0 link=1227526713/66#66 date=1245397778
    Quote Originally Posted by 547E6C7E1F0 link=1227526713/64#64 date=1245395231
    why oh why did they remove the "cool touch" steam wand for australia but leave it for the americans? *
    Maybe Americans are more likely to burn themselves.
    ...and sue when they do? I reckon its why Mazzers need massive finger guards as well ::)

Chris,
    some photos of the new model will be much appreciated!

I just read through this thread and would be interested to know how its going now for the GS3 owners?

3-4 years on, would you still buy the GS3 or would you suggest looking at other makes that have hit the market since?

Im in the market for a top end Domestic machine. Originally considering the Giotto Evo or Alex Duetto (with double boiler). But Im fortunate at the moment to have a generous budget, and I want a machine thats going to serve me and my progressing skills well into the future. So it seems the GS3 is the bees knees.

My only practical limitation for a machine is that I can not plumb at this stage. And budget-wise I think the likes a Speedster would be hard for me to justify to the Mrs (unless I spent equally on her), not to mention a long order time.

Being my first post on CS, please also feel welcome to refer me to other threads that may be of use to me. Cheers.

Hi, I am in the same situation like you MrElephant . Have found out more about long term longevity of GS3!
    Any fair and lower quote from suppliers?

[QUOTE=MrElephant;384168Speedster............., not to mention a long order time.[/QUOTE]

Just an update on that comment..............

Speedsters, in various configs (but not all) are stock items with at least two companies in Australia,
    Service Sphere and Coffeeparts, both site sponsors(?).

Don't know about longevity, but I just purchased a second hand GS3 it is one of the early ones (approx 5 yrs old I estimate). I had a few issues with it initially, mostly related to scale build-up in both the boilers and feed lines. I am not sure what, if any maintenance the original owner did.

I stripped it down completely after (had a stuck NR valve on boiler filling line when I first switched it on) and it was quite scaled up. I was getting quite a few blockages in NR valves, flowmeter orifice and mixing valve. I cleared all of the lines, descaled both boilers and stripped the group head.

It is now working a treat and am very happy with it.

TC
    Just a heads up that we have received notice of an increase in price which will apply from 15th July with RRP of the MP (paddle) to move to $6450. The AV (volumetric) goes to $6325.

I guess this is the first of inevitable increases given that the $AUD is now %18 unter its peak

JM
    Interesting comments on GS3 longevity. Got what would have been one of the first ones in Australia (2006 or 2007 from memory) and it's been absolutely great. Even managed a tour of the factory while on holiday in Italy once (nice people, very patient with home-users which was great given the bulk of their business is Commercial). I get the GS3 serviced annually, and have had one issue with a dud valve, but otherwise has run well day-in day-out. I figure that single issue to date is fine in the scheme of things. Touch wood it stays that way!

Hi all,
    I just walked through the Lt Collins Street entry to David Jones (also known as Antartica in our office, and if you have even walked through that entry in winter, you would know why it's called that) and noticed that their Slayer sitting behind their bean sales counter had been replaced with a La Marzocco GS3.

I spoke to one of the guys there a bit about it, and must say, I didn't realise how compact it was. In fact it wasn't just compact, it was (dare I say it) beautiful!!!
    I had never considered a GS3 for domestic use, as the fotos of it have never done it justice. Also, the compact size was a revealation.

I am sure buying one would cure my upgraditis, well that's the line I am going to use on my wife when I propose upgrading!!!!
    The second thing I will tell her is that buy spending the $7,000 on this machine, I will in fact be saving money by stopping my upgraditis, but I am sure I don't have to convince any of the readers of this post!!

I absolutely love it.

Oh, by the way, DJ's have a 30% off sale on wine at the moment if you buy 4 bottles or more. Their Bass Phillip will therefore equate to about $55 a bottle down from $80 of you buy 4 bottles.
    OK price with the discount.

Cheers
    Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12