Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Marzocco GS3

La Marzocco GS3

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    In around 4 months time i may be looking for a new machine.
    Recently my giotto played up and i stripped it, cleaned it and changed parts and she is working brilliantly.
    I was thinking about purchasing a new machine but had not done much research so decided to fix it, then when it came time for a new machine, the giotto can then be a back up machine.

Now there was no way i could get a commercial plumbed in machine as i do not want to drill holes in the ceaser stone bench top, so it was going to be another giotto or a dobomar super lever s/s
    that is of course untill i saw this baby.

the La Marzocco GS3

it ticks all the boxes, twin boiler, internal water res with PID temp control, rotary pump and not a huge footprint.

only down side is the price, well just means i will have to wait longer for one.

So is such a beast worth it for home use.
    4-6 cups a day but we entertain allot so weekends it can get a good workout

Has anyone here had any first hand experiances with one.
    I suppose i am trying to find out if its worth double the price of say a new giotto or dobomar

Re: La Marzocco GS3

one option may be plumbing through the walls instead of the benchtop...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA link=1227526713/0#0 date=1227526713
    Has anyone here had any first hand experiances with one.
    I suppose i am trying to find out if its worth double the price of say a new giotto or dobomar
    Yes, I got to have a really good play around with it for a few hours a while ago. I took a blend that I am very familiar with in and dialled it in to perfection. The GS3 produces a superb cup, easily on par with anything that the most highly thought of commercial machines produce ... in fact, it would not surprise me if further experimentation showed that it is actually capable of producing a better cup than those machines. This is against my criteria of a machine that produces consistent results with a given coffee, allows you to extract the flavour that you want for that coffee and makes clear the differences between two different coffees. Whether this is worth the money is a matter for your own judgment. One thing to note is that you can tweak the living heck out of the GS3 to make it perform exactly as you want; this might cause more frustration than joy if you are not methodical in your tweaks and havent had experience in making those changes.

The fit and finish is good, but not quite up to par with the rest of the LM machines. It is really heavy, particularly if the boilers are full, so plan on having two people move it. Yes, it has a rotary pump and, yes, it is really quiet (even if running off the tank). If you want one, you should contact EES and see where they are at in getting the latest upgrades for it.

La Marzocco have been experimenting with a million different versions of their paddle group and will hopefully be releasing one for the GS3 soon.

Personally, I think that getting a robur for home and pairing it up with a good prosumer machine would be money better spent than buying a GS3. That doesnt mean that Im any less enthusiastic about buying a GS3!

Cheers,

Luca

roknee, no can do with the walls either.
    Its an island bench and we are on a slab

Luca, thank you so much for that info. Seems the GS3 requires a good learning curve and may be a little too much for someone like myself. However it could be fun playing around with it.
    Looks like ill do a little more research, i have time on my side which is good.

billybolonski, that is one funky looking machine

fair enough JA - no plumb it is
    it seems like the GS3 is pretty much the machine that will take you on a lONG journey into coffee BUT that doesnt mean that you couldnt jump on like any other machine and produce the goods. maybe someone who is familiar with the GS3 could show you the way around it first (i dont know what sort of manual comes with) and then i cant imagine why youd struggle with it moreso than any other machine.

hard to answer the Q about price. is it WORTH double a domobar super lever? depends whos asking the worth question.
    is a SMG merc WORTH quadruple times the price of a monaro? ;)

and i agree with luca that youll be limited more by the grinder than the machine (unless you already have yourself something sweet)

roknee, thanks again for your input. Trust me if i could plumb i would, but just cant see it happening.
    Thanks for your thoughts again.
    As for grinder, i currently have a mazzer mini

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1227526713/0#5 date=1227573051
    i cant imagine why youd struggle with it moreso than any other machine.
    Id say that thats more or less right.

If you buy a vibiemme or giotto or whatever the flavour of the month is, you get a particular temperature and pressure profile and you pretty much arent going to change that. *Coffees that are well suited to that will taste great on it, coffees that are less well suited to that particular combination will not be showcased to the same effect.

The great advantage of the GS3 is that you can easily and confidently change all of those parameters to suit the particular coffee that you are working with at the time. *However, if you dont want to do that, you can just use whatever default settings you want. *Again, coffees that are well suited to that will taste great on it, coffees that are less well suited to that particular combination will not be showcased to the same effect. *In that regard, the GS3 cannot be any worse than any other machine. *In fact, it will probably be better because the machine will do a better job of maintaining the default settings so that you wont have to deal with a moving target. *This is particularly useful if you make multiple shots in a row, as most e61 head machines that I have measured heat up a few degrees over the first few shots in a back-to-back series.

If you are not familiar with changing temperature and pressure - and, lets face it, few people are - you would probably take pretty tentative steps to start off with. *For example, you might make large (3.5C) changes to temperature whilst keeping all of the other variables constant. *Of course, you can do so at your own pace or not at all, as you please.

Quote Originally Posted by roknee link=1227526713/0#5 date=1227573051
    maybe someone who is familiar with the GS3 could show you the way around it first (i dont know what sort of manual comes with)
    The manual is pretty good, but all manuals are pretty useless when it comes to working out what youre going to get in the cup.

If anyone in Melbourne gets a GS3 and wants a hand setting it up, send me a PM. *I love playing around on those things!

As for grinder, i currently have a mazzer mini
    If your goal is to improve the quality and consistency of your espresso, your money will probably be better spent buying a ridiculously large conical burr grinder like the Robur. *Such a grinder will improve every shot that you pull and will probably make it easier to dial in a new blend. *In contrast, if you find a blend that performs well at the particular pressure, temperature, dose, etc that you use on a prosumer machine, the improvement in going over to a GS3 probably wont be as much for that particular blend as the improvement in moving to a Robur. However, the big bad conical burr grinders dont tend to be very kitchen-friendly. The Robur Electronic is a towering behemoth. The Compak K10 is smaller, but seems to hold a much larger amount of ground coffee in the exit chute from the burrs.

Cheers,

Luca

TC

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1227526713/0#7 date=1227578676
    *The Compak K10 is smaller, but seems to hold a much larger amount of ground coffee in the exit chute from the burrs.

Cheers,

Luca

Hi Luca,

I think recent WBC spec Compaks are a whole heap better in this regard...

Might be worth having a look at mine sometime to see if you agree.

Chris

Luca, once again thank you for taking the time to answer.

The K10 looks like a lovely grinder and maybe something id be happy to replace the mazzer mini with.
    If i take that route, i can then re-asses were to go with a new coffee machine.

If i do however decide to go the GS3, i will take up you offer of setting it up

Blog Entries

Site Sponsors CoffeeParts have the GS3.

Might be worth having a chat to Pedro to see if you can get a CSr special deal.

http://www.coffeeparts.com/machines/marzocco.html

Andy, funny you should mention that as that is were i first saw the beast.
    I wont bother them just yet with pricing. Once my mind is made up and when the time is right, then i can annoy them

Im fairly close to your intended usage profile - domestic use, 6-8 cups a day, desire not to go plumbed in yet, and limited benchtop space. The GS3 ticked all the boxes for me, so I went ahead with the purchase. Ive been using it for around 6 weeks.

I had a good quality E61 based machine before (Isomac Mondiale), which could produce terrific coffee occasionally. I think it was more my lack of discipline with controlling all the variables that restricted good results.

The GS3 has been a revelation in at least one important respect for me - consistency. It just works with minimum fuss, day in day out, delivering absolutely great results.

I havent experimented much with different settings, but rather focussing more on getting the right grind settings for different beans, and dosing/tamping correctly. As my confidence builds, Ill probably experiment more with both temperatures, pre-brewing etc.

I certainly havent found the wealth of options to be in any way a barrier to making great coffee with the GS3 - its more a case of having the ability to "tweak" up your sleeve when you want to use it.

give us some pics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S link=1227526713/0#13 date=1228382660
    give us some pics!!!
    This straight from the Coffee Parts web site and sponsor <<<<<<<<

La Marzocco - GS3
    The Lite Professional

Water Tank: 2 liters

Steam Boiler: 3.5Lt

Brew Boiler: 1.5Lt

Voltage: 240V

Dimensions: (WxDxH) 400 x 530 x 355mm

Coutry of origin: Italy

RRP: $6,700

Handmade in Florence Italy the La Marzocco GS/3 Espresso Machine utilizes LMs Dual boiler technology, PID temperature Control and has been hailed "Best in the (espresso) industry for temperature stability".

La Marzocco’s GS/3 dramatically resets standards for performance among home and light commercial categories. It compared favorably to the finest high volume machines on the market today. In a tiny footprint, with water reservoir or plumb-in options, the GS/3 suits home espresso preparation and use and yet has sufficient steam power and performance recovery for many commercial espresso applications including restaurants, catering and professional offices.

La Marzocco GS/3 Specs:

dual stainless steel boiler technology and saturated brewing groups

3.5 liter internal water reservoir- PID temperature control (proportional integral derivative)

“Cool Touch” stainless steel steam wand and hot water wand

Multifunction keypads and digital display

Internal Procon Rotary Pump (same as on our commercial machines, but internal!)

Brew water pre-heating system

KK

Weve all seen the dream pics..... lets see the real thing on the bench lhowsen!!

lets see the real thing on MY bench

Here are some photos of the GS3 on a small benchtop with limited vertical height (definitely no room for a Robur!).

i like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA link=1227526713/0#18 date=1228546442
    i like

Me too!
    Thanks for sharing.
    I was listening to the Coffeegeek podcasts talking about this machine.

It is really different to other prosumers - I like the industrial look.

Now to start saving :)

Ihowsen

If you live in or near Brisbane can I come to visit ;)

KK

"That young man, is how babies are made".. Chazz Michael Michaels

Im in the market for a new machine and have been reading (drooling) all the reviews on the GS3.

I have to sell my Elektra Semi-Automatica first though.

Im in Hobart! *;D

Quote Originally Posted by lhowson link=1227526713/20#22 date=1228618456
    Im in Hobart! *;D
    Thats one way to keep the mainlanders at bay

KK

Thats a frickin awesome home setup lhowson!

Is the machine plumbed in on run off a tank?

That could even cause upgraditis in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1227526713/20#25 date=1229222544
    That could even cause upgraditis in me.
    Me toooooooo ;)

But there is about 6,000 reasons why I wont be doing it any time soon..... each of them has a $ sign ::)

I dont have it plumbed in (yet). That was one of the criteria ... partner wasnt too keen about drilling holes in the benchtop. Since then, Ive found an alternative path through an adjacent cupboard, so its something I may do eventually.
    The GS3 came with a plumb-in kit, which looks quite straightforward. I like the machine as it has a rotary pump that works fine with either the built-in tank (front loading, which is great given the cupboard straight above it), or plumbed in. And its quiet also. I find I only have to refill the tank every 5 days or so, as I dont need to do cooling flushes (like with the E61). Just a 1 second squirt between shots (programmed into one of the "long shot" buttons). Then a 5 second rinse before shut down (programmed into the other long shot button). And a quick scrub with a Pallo Coffee Tool. Maintenance is certainly easy with this machine.
    Can empathise with the six thousand reasons against. Its certainly cured my upgradeitis (not to mention my bank balance!) - where to from here just gets ludicrous, large and expensive (Synesso?) - which would mean remodelling the kitchen!
    Cheers,
    LH

the synesso 1grp would have cost approx 1k more

does it work on a standard 10 amp plug, or would one want a 15 amp circuit for it?

I have it operating on a standard 10-amp circuit. It is rated at just under 10 amps. There is an "economy" mode that can be turned on in the settings. This instructs it to only operate one of the boilers at a time. I believe they did this for the American market, as both boilers would draw close to 2400w (which is more than the standard house wiring in the States, I believe).
    Cheers,
    LH

Quote Originally Posted by lhowson link=1227526713/20#27 date=1229227616
    where to from here just gets ludicrous, large and expensive (Synesso?) - which would mean remodelling the kitchen!
    I say this as someone who has worked on Synessos and loves them ... in what sense is a Synesso an upgrade from a GS3? I cant really think how a single group Synesso would be better.

Cheers,

Luca

Hi Guys,

I know nothing about espresso exotica such as the LM-GS3 and wonder if one of you could explain the purpose of that "paddle" type thing that sits up on the Brew Head? Red arrow pointing to it in the photo below....

Thanks,
    Mal.

Progressive preinfusion... I think.

Im not 100% on the progressive bit.

Luca will know for sure.

Much to many peoples chagrin the paddle group doesnt seem to come with the GS3 just yet.

Yeha its like the Synesso Cyncra, so basically gives you more control over the flow. Apparently theyve been doin a heap of tests to get this sucker right. Its quite a delicious machine.

Hi Luca,
    Im not sure in what ways a Synesso would necessarily be better than a GS3. It certainly would be bigger and more complex to install, hence a no-go for me.
    Cheers,
    LH

Just wondering what your impressions were a few months into ownership? Any problems or pleasant surprises?

HI all

i am also contemplating buying one of these machines so any comments from people that actually own one would be great.

Wega Sphera EPU, Mazzer Mini, Coffeelab Tamper

Quote Originally Posted by 3632352D2935345A0 link=1227526713/35#35 date=1229499327
    Hi Luca,
    Im not sure in what ways a Synesso would necessarily be better than a GS3. It certainly would be bigger and more complex to install, hence a no-go for me.
    Cheers,
    LH

Whats hard about installing a machine?

Chuck it on the bench, connect the pipes to appropriate places....bobs your uncle.

Okay...it may be a little more complicated than that....the hardest thing youll have to do is wire in the motor.....but it aint rocket science...I know, because I study it.

The rest is just simple work with a shifting spanner.

Actually I think with many machines like this theres not even a pump to worry about, theyre often internal.

Like many, I sweated about cutting a hole in my perfectly good counter top. Having done so I can only VERY strongly suggest you just grit your teeth and do it. I looked at it this way, the machine (or at least "A" machine) becomes a selling point when you come to sell the house and a bargaining chip when the negotiations are under way.

Personally its not so much the plumbed brew water I enjoy, filling a tank isnt a biggie, its the waste that I like. Your espresso machine becomes another "sink" into which dead shots, cleaning etc etc just gets dumped into the tray without EVER having to worry about it over-flowing. Also, while I dont have room to do it myself, theres no reason you cant tap into the water post the filter and have a filter water tap for basically nothing, as the filters are way oversized for a domestic situation and would easily serve a second purpose within their annual life span.

The bottom line; if you have a machine that CAN be plumbed youre absolutely mad if you dont. And if your machine cant be plumbed? Get one that can. ;D I think it makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable; you may not know what all the fuss is about until you do it, but once you have wonder why it took you so long!

Pete

pete,
    my thoughts exactly.
    plumbed in and out is absolutely fantastic. dont need to think about much really, apart from an annual filter change. brilliant for home, and definitely less "overkill" than ppl think

Agree wholeheartedly.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

TC

Big Excitement!

We have finally secured rights to sell the LM GS3 today! *[smiley=cheesy.gif]

We are hoping to have a demo model (pre-update) for a brief tour of duty in a few weeks if you would like to see one in the metal.

Present arrangements with the importer are 50% deposit and 8-10 week lead time from Italy where each machine is manufactured to client order with various updates which have been incorporated since release.

The LaMarzocco GS3 is $6700 in base configuration with inbuilt tank. A plumb kit is available (at extra cost TBA) and a paddle group will be released some time in the future as a retrofit.

Chris

Great news indeed

looking forward to seeing one in the flesh.
    Will make my 30km bike ride out your way well worth it i would say ;D

hazchem

Quote Originally Posted by 02373A3D09153930303333560 link=1227526713/42#42 date=1237360706
    Big Excitement!

We have finally secured rights to sell the LM GS3 today! *[smiley=cheesy.gif]

We are hoping to have a demo model (pre-update) for a brief tour of duty in a few weeks if you would like to see one in the metal.

Present arrangements with the importer are 50% deposit and 8-10 week lead time from Italy where each machine is manufactured to client order with various updates which have been incorporated since release.

The LaMarzocco GS3 is $6700 in base configuration with inbuilt tank. A plumb kit is available (at extra cost TBA) and a paddle group will be released some time in the future as a retrofit.

Chris
    see, I dont visit this section of the forum very often, and had no idea that you were adding the GS3 to the Talk Coffee range Chris. Now Dennis gentle suggestions that my next commission cheque go towards one make a lot more sense! *;D

While the price does scare the pants off me and I doubt i have the chops to get full use/functionality from the machine, it would mean one thing. Id then own three 3 things -

PS3 Console
    EX3 Video Camera
    GS3 Espresso machine

hmmmmm....

TC

FYI all,

We received notice today of a 7% increase on all GS/3 ordered on or after 01 April 09. The new price will be $7170.

For those seriously considering an order, its probably a good idea to move soon.

Price increases ::)

Chris

Hi Chris

Can you run through the features that have been updated or changed in the current models vs. the original incarnation?

Ive read about the steam wand changing, but would like to hear about other refinements.

Thanks,
    Stephen.

TC

We will have a GS/3 on our bench (the only one in Oz not in captivity ::)) for the weekend only as even we have to wait 2-3 months for our demo model. Prices will be rising by almost $500 at the beginning of April, so for those who are really serious about a LM, its probably a good time to bite the bullet.

We have allocated a couple of appointments to those who had expressed interest in purchasing one. Hoping to have an open house for a few hours as well ...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 173235331C5D0 link=1227526713/0#0 date=1227526713

Everyone is an individual.

Everyone has an opinion.

One mans poison is another mans treasure.

Is a bottle of Grange Hermitage worth heaps more than a good forty dollar red?

Do you have the palate to tell the (supposed) difference?

Do you want it regardless?

Can you affiord it?

Will it make you feel better?

These are not flippant comments, they are the only logical answer to your question.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 17363D3A20191E530 link=1227526713/48#48 date=1237869960
    Quote Originally Posted by 173235331C5D0 link=1227526713/0#0 date=1227526713

Everyone is an individual. *

Everyone has an opinion.

One mans poison is another mans treasure.

Is a bottle of Grange Hermitage worth heaps more than a good forty *dollar red?

Do you have the palate to tell the (supposed) difference?

Do you want it regardless?

Can you affiord it?

Will it make you feel better?

These are not flippant comments, they are the only logical answer to your question.
    I call that hitting the nail on the head denis ;)

A HQ holden will get you to the shop as will a Ferrari...If you have the means to justify the Ferrari, thats your good fortune!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast