Thread: Wega Atlas EVD2 - New Machine!

Wega Atlas EVD2 - New Machine!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Yesterday I became the owner of a second hand current model Wega Atlas EVD2 which I expect to be a nice little upgrade to my Giotto Premium! It came with a water filtration system and water softener.

May and Scotty at Veneziano know how excited I was as I was over there when I got the news. :D

So Im wondering how to go about getting it installed, tested and up and running. My current thoughts are to pay a coffee service company to come around, give it a look through and help me install it. This way I learn a bit about how the internals of this particular machine work and how to disassemble it properly etc.

Can anybody point me to a service company in Brisbane that they would recommend for this work and who might be interested in helping/teaching a snob/geek as they go?

Photos to come later today (probably this afternoon).

cheers,
    James

Re: Wega Atlas EVD2 - New Machine!

Can anybody point me to a service company in Brisbane that they would recommend for this work and who might be interested in helping/teaching a snob/geek as they go?
    Barazi in Coopers Plains Brisbane

Call them and talk to Jack

KK

Gave them a call and spoke to Jack. He says he doesnt know Wega machines terribly well but is very happy to help with getting me on the right track with what plumbing connectors etc I need.

I just called David from Davkim Coffee Machine Services who originally installed the machien and they are willing to come out and give me a hand with it.

Its easily modified to be used on 10A power (saves getting a sparky out to install a new circuit in a difficult location), so all I need to do is get the plumbing done and were away. :D

James

Well done James. Can you post pics of your mod to take it to 10 amp?

Hey Scott,

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1229290226/0#3 date=1229374430
    Well done James. *Can you post pics of your mod to take it to 10 amp?
    There was really no point in taking photos of the mod as it was so very simple. *I just changed the plug and removed one of the connectors to the boiler. *The boiler has two cables going to it (positive and negative) which connect to one terminal which is extended to two others. *Its a three element boiler, so removing one of the connections dropped it to being a 2 boiler element.

Having measured it, it now runs when heating at about 9.5A but if its heating and pumping at the same time, about 10.5A. Given its not above 10A by very much or for any extended period of time, its ok to leave on the standard circuit.

It sure does get very hot in the room that the coffee machine is in! *I dont understand why anybody would need an optional cup-warmer element! *I cant even keep my hand on the cup tray for more than a few seconds as its so hot!

I think Im going to desperately need to insulate the boiler to keep the room from getting too hot! (its not a small room, either, at 8m x 5m).

OK, so todays effort was disassembling the machine, removing all of the panelling and cleaning/polishing all the stainless steel parts and getting it switched on and running.

The machine is now running off a water resevoir (bucket with filtered water in it) and waste to another bucket for now. Getting the plumbing done is probably going to cost about $600 for the 350kpa restrictor, tapping into the sink taps, extending around to the machine (about 3m) and labour. I had to raise the pump pressure as it was not running off line pressure so was initially only pulling shots at about 6 bars. I currently have it set to pull at about 9 bars and using a pressure guage PF it starts about 8.5 bars and works its way up to about 9.5 bars.

I moved my E61 temperature probe across from my Giotto Premium to the right hand group and its doing its job there now. *The operational temperature ranges are very different on this large machine than they were on the Giotto. *The group often stays relatively low in temperature ~202F while idle, but the brew water is coming in at about ~210F or so which I can only imagine the brew water being quite high. *The coffees Ive made on it so far have been quite drinkable but nothing remarkable. *Does anybody know of someone with a Scace or Scace II in Brisbane? *Id like to get some real data on how this is performing so I can adjust my brewing technique to suit the machine.

Texturing with the Wega 5 hole steam tips is really hard, so far. *Ive lowered the pressurestat to be about 1-1.05 bars and its still really hard to manage. *Im guessing this is just going to require more practice.

So Ive cleaned the right group, but the left group is stuck. *When I try to use the left group, no water comes out of it and occasionally a little will come out the waste at the bottom, but even then, next to nothing. *The pump goes and you can hear it working making sounds like there is a blind filter in place. *The machine has been unused for at least 12 months, perhaps longer. *Any suggestions on what the problem may be? *The volumetric measuring device for the left one seems to light up strangely compared to the right one.

Anyhow, just an update for now.

cheers,
    James

</ramble>

James,

All of your plumbing in could be done by you. It really isnt very hard but it does involve drilling through your benchtop.

Understand your struggling with milk texturing. Im still learning about how to deal with the huge amount of steam from a commercial two group machine.

Blockage sounds like it could be to do with the solenoid valve but Im not sure.

Id take off the left 3 way valve and clean it out. *Otherwise if that doesnt work maybe a blockage in the group. *

damian.,

Well, Im not sure how the E61 in this machine works as where the lever/cam goes in a manual E61, its empty.

I removed the bit on the bottom but that didnt seem to be filthy at all. *Its called the 3 way solenoid valve "Lucifer". *How does it work? *(there appears to be 2 small holes and the electrical component sits on the outside and looks to have no mechanical parts. *(Im assuming its an electromagnetic motor of some sort).

Tomorrow I might swap the Lucifer from the other group across to see if it makes any difference.

There is a breakdown of the parts of this available at

http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/wega/wega1.html

if anybody else is keen to look.

Ive only seen one Lucifer/Parker set per group on this system so far. *Is there likely to be another solenoid somewhere else?

Is the volumetric measuring part a flow controlling solenoid or just using electromagnetic movements to measure? *Is it possible that that part has ceased?

cheers,
    James

when you s;ide off the coil (the e;ectrical bit) you can unscrew the rest and get to the plunger where you ned to clean. magnetic field pulls plunger up, or springs back after. when it is closed water flows from the showerhead out the waste. when open it goes from pump to showerhead. You will have 2 3-way valves (1 for each group) and a 2-way valve for autofill of the boiler.

the volumetric works by counting rotation of magnetic fan like thing (sorry for shocking description, but nothing else is coming to mind!!!). as water flows fan turns, and machine counts rotations. called flowmeter. 1 for each group. yours sound fine.

Quote Originally Posted by damian1 link=1229290226/0#8 date=1229542966
    when you s;ide off the coil (the e;ectrical bit) you can unscrew the rest and get to the plunger where you ned to clean. *magnetic field pulls plunger up, or springs back after. *when it is closed water flows from the showerhead out the waste. *when open it goes from pump to showerhead. *You will have 2 3-way valves (1 for each group) and a 2-way valve for autofill of the boiler. *
    OK, so looking at the breakdown URL I posted before, which part of 700176 is meant to move? How do these solenoids work with the group head?

On disassembling it, I dont see any plunger type of aparatus, only the two matching holes that line up with the underside of the main metal part of the group head. *Ive pushed stuff up the holes so far but there did not seem to be anything there (other than a small amount of water).

Do I need to disassemble the top of the group also and check there?

cheers,
    James

Well, Im not 100% certain where the problem was, but I disassembled the group in question, blew out all of the holes, swapped the top section (where the jet is) between groups and reassembled and now both groups are working properly.

Im guessing that it was a small piece of something stuck in the jet caused by a piece of sediment from sitting idle for so long.

Well, it all works now.

I do have some problems due to not knowing what the three taps inside do but will wait until I have the tech on site to service the machine (anything I havent already done) and identify the taps and give me an overview of the machine.

cheers,
    James

Excellent work. Cleaning is a great fixer-upper.

I know a gunsmith who says that 90% of faults are rectified by disassembly, cleaning, re-assembly; and it has often worked for me.

Greg

Great to hear of other Brisbane snobs with comercial machine,

loooking forward to the nice bright and shineing photos . :) :) ;)

Unlke my old gagia :( but still makes a coffee.

Good luck Tim

Finally poured a decent rosetta with it today too! Its very exciting.

What procedure and settings do people use on large HX machines at to get good brew temperature and manageable steam?

Im currently slowly lowering the pressure stat - down to about 1.05 bars now. Temperature is still pretty high during the shot though about 210 F last I recall looking.

cheers,
    James

Well, this week I had a plumber visit and add 3m of copper and waste piping to where the machine is located and all the associated work to get the machine hard wired :)

The following day, David from DAVKIM came out and swapped over the water softener and put in a new filter and gave the machine a once-over.

He raised the boiler probe so that the water level was at the high water mark and said that was about all he needed to do.

Ive had some great shots since then (yesterday) but am still struggling to get truly excellent microfoam. * Good enough to pour an occasional rosetta, but nothing with any good detail in it.

Pictures still to come.