Thread: Jet-Steam Espresso machine

Jet-Steam Espresso machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I got sent this today from a friend. Anyone heard anything about them... pretty sure Ive seen this machine before.... but at a pub dispensing beer....

http://www.jet-steam.com/

Definitely thinking outside the square.

SPECS:

Control:

Full temperature control for both the brew boiler and brew head ( .1 deg. increments Celcius) | Programmable pre-infusion time | P.I.D Parameter control | Brew Pressure Adjustment | 4-button programmable volumetric dosing | Push-button steam | Steam injection for Tea Water | Steam boiler pressure / temperature controlled by pressure swith with set point and deadband adjust

Brew Group:

11.5 lbs. | 304 Stainless Steel | Heated by 200 Watt catridge heater element - Programmable.

Brew Boiler:

3.5 lbs. | 304L Stainless Steel | Fully Passivated food grade - satin polished finish | 500W Fast Acting Cartidge Heater.

Steam Boiler:

24.6 lbs. | 304L Stainless Steel | Fully Passivated food grade - satin polished finish | 1,000W Fast Acting Cartridge Heater | 2 - 3/4" SS heat exchangers
    (for tea wand and brew water preheating)

Appearance:

Nickel-chrome mirror finished mounting arms | Laser cut stainless steel drip trays and cases | LED illuminated logo on top and bottom cases | Hinged tempered glass access door | In-counter installation

TC

Re: Jet-Steam Espresso machine

Yeppers- it looks really good.

I think ECA are/were planning to import it....

Will follow up...

2mcm

Blog Entries

I have been following that one too... wicked idea.

I really like the concept that you add one of these units for each barista in your shop, which seems far better than 3 people trying to work around each other on a 3 group machine.

Open and visual from all sides will keep the barista honest and the "punter" involved.

Easily the best espresso machine I have ever seen, I just hope it makes great coffee too!

some people have more money and time than me.
    I have drawings under file, THINGS TO DO 1 DAY, that i started 8 years ago of similar concept.
    Ill scream if it was developed by that engineer I was talking too.
    well done guys looks great.
    anyone have an idea when one will be in OZ

Im certain Ive seen a photo of Charles from ECA with the guys from Jet Steam in a magazine. Maybe Cafe Culture.

Will be interesting to see how the thermoblock keeps the group stable during shots.

I know what I would buy for the kitchen if I ever won lotto!!!

Yeah, I like the idea of the 40w heating elements in the group, but at 20amps per unit, a standard "3 group" would require 60amps! (thats more than a synesso)

And for the most part i like the under counter design, except factoring in water filtration(which due to the stainless steel boilers, would have to be a re-mineralised RO system), would leave next to no room under bench at all. And where are we gonna keep those cups, which mind you would need to be kept warm.

All in all the unit looks pretty good and well thought out. Itd be nice if the thermocouples were at the head rather than the boiler (or at least if we knew the ofset, and how repeatable shot after shot the temps at the head are). 25 seconds to heat enough milk to make a latte though seems like an awful log time to wait (judging this from the video).

I like the fact that everything is so accessible if you had to do any work on the unit (tweak, maintain, fix etc)

Hello,

Thanks for your comments about our machine! *For the record, it is true that Charles Stephens from ECA is first in line to import/distribute Jet Steam equipment in Australia, he has been very supportive of our concept from the beginning and we are pleased to know him.

For the sake of dispelling assumptions and filling in the blanks I will clarify a few points from the discussion and provide some background about the history of this device:

I drew my first sketches of this concept for an "under counter" espresso machine while working as a coffee roaster and barista in 1999, now a full decade later, we have nearly perfected the concept (in my humble opinion :) ) and will have UL/NSF/CE/CB approved units available for the market this year, 2009.

To clarify on performance and specs: *The brewhead is 200W (not 40), and is essentially a thermoblock / brewhead. *The brewhead/t-block is PID controlled and has its on thermocouple or rtd dependant on design iteration. *Both the brew water boiler and brew head temperatures are independently controlled and settable via PID. *This allows the user to actually perform temperature scaling through the shot draw time... Instaurator (author of Espresso Quest) is the one who really turned me on to this capability and we spent a couple days last summer experimenting with the results. *At the end of the day we found that by profiling the brew head and brew water temperatures to create an approximate 7 deg. C. drop in temperature throughout the extraction time we could create more body and dimension in the coffee, bring out hidden subtle flavors of the blend or single origin bean and elongate the extraction time without experiencing over-extraction or bitterness. *We have pulled double shots on Ai-1 that exceed 45 seconds yet are not blond, over-extracted or bitter. *This is partly due to the soft-infusion and pressure scaling provided by our smart logic control and 3-phase pump motor, unique to Jet Steam equipment at this time.

The unit which has been demonstrated and which appears on our site is indeed 20A 110V, however the 220V unit is 16A, and the soon to be released 2-group Ai-1 is 220V 30A. *So, there will be no 60A Ai-1, that would just be silly, and a waste of power! *

It is well noted by pBerry that the machine is very easy to perform adjustments and routine maintenance (such as fill solenoid valve replacements, etc.) on, due to the under-counter access door. *The lower enclosure case is also easily removed even with the machine installed in the counter, to perform more in depth maintenance proceedures. Also, it takes way less than 25 seconds to steam milk for a 12-16 oz. latte or flat white, we will post new videos soon to show more details of the machine in operation.

Thanks for your comments, I hope this post helps to provide a more clear understanding of the function of our equipment.

Oh yeah, for those worried about temperature loss from below counter to above counter, we have tested the 110V Ai-1 to have less than 1 deg. F. of temperature fluctuation (when programmed for static brew temperature of course), repeatable as fast and often as you can pack up another shot!

Any questions about our equipment, please email me! *I am glad to reply...

corey@jet-steam.com

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Corey.

I only stumbled on this post today (dont know how I missed it).
    Very cool looking machine.

Any idea of price yet on a 1 group?

I can see the advantages for such a concert for commercial use where the unit can be installed above and below the counter and most importantly make great coffee

This link is direct to the PDF with the US specifications
    http://www.jet-steam.com/Ai-1_Brochure.pdf

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 417D607B717067727A71150 link=1235107194/8#8 date=1236642015
    Welcome to Coffee Snobs Corey.

Very cool looking machine.
    fwoar........noice 8-)

Love it - congratulations on a unique and innovative design.

Those support arms look like liquid metal!

Quote Originally Posted by 526E7368626374616962060 link=1235107194/8#8 date=1236642015
    Any idea of price yet on a 1 group?
    If you have to ask, you cant afford it. ;)

So, any idea of price yet on a 1 group? ;D

Wow, great feedback there, thanks. Nice to hear about those updated stats. Im especially excited to hear more about the temp profiles available on the machine via the dual PIDs, sounds great!

Im still not sold on the machines ability to operate as a primary in a cafe (filtration and cup space). But for a dedicated T/A stand, secondary machine, especially one for highlighting premium espresso, or for the home super-geek (aka GS3) the machine sounds like a very well thought out dream.

Cant wait to find out more about the pricing and availability :)

Hello,

Thanks for your replies, retail price on the US One Group Ai-1 is $7,500 USD, same a GS3 and One Group Synesso.

We are shooting for a retail price of $10,500 USD for the Two Group, which we believe is a much more viable option for the cafe environment on both performance and price point per group. *We will soon post pricing and specs. for the full line of equipment on our site, so stay tuned. *Also look forward to new higher quality videos of the machine in use and extraction quality, etc.

Both prices listed are for the Automatic (volumetric) versions, Manual lever/paddle style machines will soon be available at a slight discount.

ciao for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 2E21303730212529440 link=1235107194/13#13 date=1236871663
    Both prices listed are for the Automatic (volumetric) versions, Manual lever/paddle style machines will soon be available at a slight discount.
    What will your lever/paddle actually do? Will it just be a big switch, or will it give the barista some more control?

For example, if I wanted to have a shot that started off at 9 bar and then progressively dropped to 6 bar, accompanied by a drop in temperature from 93c to 88c, could you do that?

At this stage, Im pretty set on being at SCAA - Id love to swing by and check out your machine!

Cheers,

Luca

BUMP!

Cant wait to see these in action. ;)

TC

I think ECA finally have some (one??) on the way