Thread: External pump

External pump

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hiya.

I picked up an old Rancilio z9 from eBay for hardly anything, figuring that it would be a good project for restoration to teach me a bit about the internal workings of such machines. Its hardly worthy of the title extreme machine, but owners of such machines will hopefully be able to relate to my request.

The seller took it out of a shop they bought, having verified that it pumped water (but nothing else), but failed to take with it any of the plumbing equipment, including the pump.

So, I now have a machine that heats up fine, but no pump to get any more water into it.

I found a few pages of parts at coffeeparts, for example, but I dont really know what exactly I need. Im keen to not spend lots, as this is more a hobby project than anything else.

Can anyone help with some suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam.

Re: External pump

Coffee parts have an external pump for around the 350 mark, best to give them a call and discuss your needs.

Hi Sam,

keep an eye out for a second hand one on ferralbay (most pumps will be fine) Seem to go for $100-150 (you might get lucky for less $) or you can get a refurbed one from the Procon importer with a new motor for $300 ish. Either that or try here and place a wanted to buy in the for sale section here. Either that or wait for another old clunker 2 group to come up with a pump they sometimes go for under $100 ;) .

Moto that $350 is for the pump only :o allow another $200 ish for a motor.

Ahh that will teach me to comment about things I dont understand. ::) At least I have learnt something today!!

A) you wont get a "refurbed" pump from Procon unless you already have one to exchange with. As far as I know its an exchange service. They actually arent "refurbed", the only thing they keep out of the orininal you supply them is the body. The body is gutted & they fit an all new pump into it. *So there is a small price advantage if you are looking for a new pump.

B) insert apology here: I am not here to prick someones bubble, but you need to know what machines are worth mucking around with, and which ones to avoid. Afraid the Z9 falls into the latter category. You can recondition it till the cows come home, but unless you want to start getting into re inventing the internals away from STD you will never stop it from nuking (scaldinging) every single coffee it will ever brew for you. They used to fall into the category of "built like a brick outhouse, keep working way past their useful life, never ever brewed a good cuppa, *a greek snack bar favourite".

C) If its a timer machine forget the timers even if you can get them they are unreliable and

D) It its volumetric and theres a problem with anything electronic forget it, even if you can get the parts the project isnt worth the money you spend on them.

E) My honest opinion...really not worth buying a pump and motor for, and the chances are if you did find a used motor/pump set to save a little dosh on you wouldnt trust the pump not to be defective anyway...its the kind of part you buy new or not at all).

You can recondition it, find out what makes it tick, there was a lot of em in the market place 15 to 20 years ago, but it was never a good coffee machine.

If you want to clean it up and run it, hook it up to mains pressure without a pressure reducer and it will work. Its just that the brew pressure will then fluctuate some through the day as mains pressure fluctuates. *You wont get the magical 8 to 10 bars, you will get what you get depending on the water pressure in your area. Even if it had an operational pump and motor, it would still need to be hooked up to the mains because that era of models did not (from memory) run the pump to auto fill the boiler ie the auto fill relied on mains only (so foregt running it out of a water container).

Of course, others may have an opposing opinion on all the above.

Hi Denis,

with the importer of Procon Roehlen Industries there is a MAJOR price advantage over the spare parts price for an espresso machine. Last time I ralked to David the refurbed pumps were $120 (no exchange needed) and a new motor (they dont sell old ones) was $190 (these prices were at a better exchange rate). Last time I brought one they were new bearing, seal and vanes fitted.

On the other points and based on other opinions you are correct on the to hot thing by all accounts, lucky my toy doesnt owe me much :)

Brand new pumps from CoffeeParts are listed here... http://www.coffeeparts.com/misc/motor.html

Mal.

Thanks all.

Will keep my eyes peeled.

Sam.