Thread: San Remo anyone!?

San Remo anyone!?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

here is my new baby.. the company is young and a bit unknown but the product is GREAT...

SanRemo Capri,
    4.5 liter boiler
    RPM/Procon Rotary pump
    Cigar components
    1950W
    the machine is a little monster...

here is a short video
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVEGO8phng[/media]
    and some pics

Re: San Remo anyone!?

nice looking machine

in your video clip i am sure there is a white headed alien watching in the background. you can see it in the reflection behind the portafilter..... I had a laugh :)

or is it a mix master (maybe kleinmaid?)

nice setup

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2916020D090C630 link=1241388668/0#0 date=1241388668
    Hi,

here is my new baby.. the company is young and a bit unknown but the product is GREAT...

SanRemo Capri,
    4.5 liter boiler
    RPM/Procon Rotary pump
    Cigar components
    1950W
    the machine is a little monster...

here is a short video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVEGO8phng

I still want ya Group Handles and Tamp stand and Tamp box..

What Timber is that ?

AM

Sweet machine, looks really solid. Do you know much about it? Any relation to the pasta company of the same name?

Looks like that 4.5ltr boiler really helps out maintaining pressure, that looked like a decent amount of steam for a setting of 0.9bars. Interesting placement of the pressure gauges also.

Just as a matter of interest, how old was the coffee being used? Virtually no co2 and a really decent crema. And lastly, how you finding the c-ripple reg? any positives or negatives in the cup (besides general aesthetics).

Thanks for putting that online

hey,
    thanks for the replies..;)

Maheel, good eye, is a KitchenAid mixer :-)

AM, its Cocobolo.. beautiful wood, mail me if really want some stuff done for you..:)

PBerry,
    doubt there is any relation with the pasta company,
    here is the SanRemo site http://www.sanremomachines.com/index.php?lang=1

The boiler is suppose to work at .8-1bar, giving PLENTY ENDLESS team, Im sure the 1950W helps a lot..

the coffee is a Costa Rica I roast two days ago..

Lastly,
    is not a C-ripple, I have the C-ripple RB and unfortunatelly have nothing good to say about it.. the ridges are VERY SHALLOW and is hard to see any difference in the puck,
    the tamper I use its cheap base I bought and I made the handle,
    there you can see the difference..
    the one good thing I can say about ridged tampers is that help avoid pig-tail... ANNND give a cool look to the puck..:P

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 003F2B2420254A0 link=1241388668/4#4 date=1241446090
    hey,
    thanks for the replies..;)

Maheel, good eye, is a KitchenAid mixer :-)

AM, its Cocobolo.. beautiful wood, mail me if really want some stuff done for you..:)

PBerry,
    doubt there is any relation with the pasta company,
    here is the SanRemo site http://www.sanremomachines.com/index.php?lang=1

The boiler is suppose to work at .8-1bar, giving PLENTY ENDLESS team, Im sure the 1950W helps a lot..

the coffee is a Costa Rica I roast two days ago..

Lastly,
    is not a C-ripple, I have the C-ripple RB and unfortunatelly have nothing good to say about it.. the ridges are VERY SHALLOW and is hard to see any difference in the puck,
    the tamper I use its cheap base I bought and I made the handle,
    there you can see the difference..
    the one good thing I can say about ridged tampers is that help avoid pig-tail... ANNND give a cool look to the puck..:P

Some good info and stuff...

I must admit... I liked your Tamp over teh RB... I have always wondered about teh ridges...

And one day... If my lathe ever arrives ( error 404 page not found - Dammed financial controller) I was interested to attempt something similar.. But more of a spiral, rather than separate rings...

PM sent...

Spiral out? To push the coffee to the edges? Is that the theory?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 36353131253E5C0 link=1241388668/6#6 date=1241500862
    Spiral out? To push the coffee to the edges? Is that the theory?
    Just a concept in my mind..

1: When twisting you will break the surface and it does not work..

2: If Tamping straight down, then more of a Pattern and water flow..

A the time of my post it was late and I was also not thinking as clearly as I should have.

I tend to do a funny rocking tamp, so for me it could work... But the putting it into practice is another matter.

I set the SanRemos preinfusion ON today, here is a short video where you can see how it works on this machine..
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHQgNmRfZgI[/media]

check bottom gauge

Got your reflection in that one juanjo ;D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 777F676D70140 link=1241388668/9#9 date=1241575962
    Got your reflection in that one juanjo *;D
    Yea and NO Black Ebony.. I am disappointed:-)

Took some pics here this morning, but have to wait till the wife gets home... They on her camera as mine just failed..

The machine certainly ticks all the boxes in my book. Procon pump, hx, thermosyphon group heating, pre-infusion. Nice buy, you turned the pre-infusion on though? Can you explain the pre-infusion system on this machine? Like the water set up, was planning the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 1F332E313D3F5C0 link=1241388668/11#11 date=1241982640
    The machine certainly ticks all the boxes in my book. Procon pump, hx, thermosyphon group heating, pre-infusion. Nice buy, you turned the pre-infusion on though? Can you explain the pre-infusion system on this machine? Like the water set up, was planning the same.
    RG,thanks,

the pre-infusion on this machine can be enable or disable with few clicks and turns here and there.. fairly easy.

I like it ON, it just wet the puck before going to full 9bars of pressure..

thats from the manual:

To enable pre-brewing
    With the appliance switched off, put the on/off switch (D) to position 1 and at the same time keep the button (M1) on the left-hand group pressed until the
    indicator light corresponding to the button (M5) remains lit; then release the button (M1). Now put the on/off switch (D) to position 0 and then to position
    2 in order to store the operation.
    To disable pre-brewing
    With the appliance switched off, put the on/off switch (D) to position 1 and at the same time keep the button (M2) on the left-hand group pressed until the
    indicator light corresponding to the button (M5) remains lit; then release the button (M2). Now switch the appliance off and then on again using the on/off
    switch (D) in order to store the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by 07282123340B27282721232B232832460 link=1241388668/2#2 date=1241395784
    I still want ya Group Handles and Tamp stand and Tamp box..

What Timber is that ?

AM
    Im more interested in his water reservoir set up. How did you do it? What kind of water bottle did you use?

Im more interested in his water reservoir set up. How did you do it? What kind of water bottle did you use? [/QUOTE]

David,

fairly simple, its a ceramic bowl with some modification in the fitting, and a 1 gallon Spring water.

for the fitting I use a rubber leg of a Livia90, shaped to fit in the bowl and a hole in the middle for the fitting

straight to the rotary pump

thats the set up

it works great.!

How does the preinfusion on this machine work Juanjo. Preinfusion on some plumbed in rotary pump machines uses the mains line water pressure before the pump kicks in.

Vicroamer,

this is what the manual says:

"c) The CAPRI XLC SED electronics also offers the possibility of reproducing the pre-brewing effect by wetting the coffee for 0.6 seconds and then stopping
    the subsequent brewing from starting for 1.2 seconds. This option is only applicable for single shots of coffee."

wetting the coffee for 0.6 seconds and then stopping
    the subsequent brewing from starting for 1.2 seconds.
    OK Thanks. Thats how they go about it. I find this sort of stuff interesting. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 49565C4D505E525A4D3F0 link=1241388668/17#17 date=1242300873
    wetting the coffee for 0.6 seconds and then stopping
    the subsequent brewing from starting for 1.2 seconds.
    OK Thanks. Thats how they go about it. I find this sort of stuff interesting. 8-)
    Lots of variables from one machine to another though that affect this "vr".... The timing cycle that works for the San Remo may not be optimal for other machines,

Mal.

Thanks for the info on the pre-infusion on this machine Juanjo Im still learning about pre-infusion myself. I read a really well thought out mod where they used a water hammer fitting from a hardware store to emulate the preinfusion system on an e61 group. They got a pre-infusion of 7 seconds with one config and 14 with another. I had suspected that this was a digitally controlled pre-infusion and its interesting to see how they have done it. Quick pulse from the pump then wait a bit they stsrt the shot. Makes sence. Vicroamer can you give an example of a machine that uses the mains water preassure to do the preinfusion as this system sounds really elegent, would like to see how they worked the plumming around the pump though. I would have thought they would need the water input line to split one feeding the pump the other with a one way valve to prevent a loss of pressure when the pump was running brfore rejoining again.

Huh... It was my understanding that on a rotary if the pump wasnt running you get mains pressure through the machine (the pump boosts it from mains to 9 Bar/ whatever the set point is) - I could be wrong though.

You get mains pressure TO the machine. But water cant get THROUGH the machine if there are valves that are shut, so you still need to have a machine that opens the valve(s) without engaging the pump to get that type of preinfusion.

Even then, certainly there are many ways to get preinfusion. It only means wetting the coffee at a lower pressure than 9 bar after all.

Quote Originally Posted by 427B71717D7E7D5E73666677120 link=1241388668/21#21 date=1242548204

Even then, certainly there are many ways to get preinfusion. *It only means wetting the coffee at a lower pressure than 9 bar after all.

yep, agree..

and one more pro to my SanRemo ( ::)) is that when you enable the preinfusion it works ONLY with the two single button shots, so you can set the two double shots at the same amount as the single and have the option of having a shot with preinfusion and/or no preinfusion without having to touch anything in the machine.. *gotta love that..:)