Thread: Another Extreme Machine... :)

Another Extreme Machine... :)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    No!!! Tell us about the coffee machine!!! :-?

Re: Another Extreme Machine... :)

Quote Originally Posted by 6169717B66020 link=1233884536/21#21 date=1241606503
    No!!! Tell us about the coffee machine!!! :-?
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

$570. Even came with a grinder!
    Sorry if any other Coffee Snobs were after it!

Where do you guys find these things???? :o

Quote Originally Posted by 656D757F62060 link=1241606504/2#2 date=1241607856
    Where do you guys find these things???? *:o
    x2. People keep finding things on the side of the road or picking things up for 1x10^-300 th of the original price

I found it on tradingpus.

I have been looking there and on evilbay for the last 6 months for anything that was a bargin. Been looking on the side of the road too, but no luck!

There maybe problems, dont know. Looks in really, really good condition. The brew groups are filthy.
    Being an electronic technician I know any problems are only time and money for parts. Probably a better deal to me than others.

I always wish I had electrical knowledge. My biomedical (biomechanical) engineering doesnt give me any real-world skills dammit!
    Sif thats going to help me fix a 2 grouper!

Quote Originally Posted by 2B232C2A22787D490 link=1241606504/5#5 date=1241654270
    My biomedical (biomechanical) engineering doesnt give me any real-world skills dammit!
    Dunno about that bjeck: there was a story about a gynaecologist who thought he might try a career change and did a mechanics course at TAFE. For the final exam, they were required to re-assemble an engine.

The gynaecologist was surprised that not only had he passed but he received a Distinction.

He approached the trainer and pointed out that he only managed to put the engine together like the others. "Yes," the trainer said "but we gave you extra credit for doing it through the exhaust pipe"

Dont know if this was a true story or not ;)

</OT>

Quote Originally Posted by 666C796E6E617573000 link=1241606504/6#6 date=1241656186
    Quote Originally Posted by 2B232C2A22787D490 link=1241606504/5#5 date=1241654270
    My biomedical (biomechanical) engineering doesnt give me any real-world skills dammit!
    Dunno about that bjeck: there was a story about a gynaecologist who thought he might try a career change and did a mechanics course at TAFE. For the final exam, they were required to re-assemble an engine.

The gynaecologist was surprised that not only had he passed but he received a Distinction.

He approached the trainer and pointed out that he only managed to put the engine together like the others. "Yes," the trainer said "but we gave you extra credit for doing it through the exhaust pipe"

Dont know if this was a true story or not ;)

</OT>
    I had a laugh that story would probably work better though if it was a proctologist, not a gyno :p

Quote Originally Posted by 13212D2D3533400 link=1241606504/7#7 date=1241662025
    I had a laugh that story would probably work better though if it was a proctologist, not a gyno :p
    Whatever rocks your boat Sammus :D

Update, its alive!

I was dying to plug it in. Asked the sparky at work. He said no problem, if you have the standard wiring, 2.5mm, just change the outlet and up the fuse. Yes I know, illegal if you arent qualified.
    Bought the outlet. Got home. Moved the couch out. Looked at the outlet, its white! All the rest in the house are cream. Its already a 15amp. ;D

Powered up ok. Boiler was set at 1.3. Pump ran fine. Set at 8 bar.
    Only one of the groups worked. After a while, no brew pressure at all. >:(

Next day fault found the non working group to some where between the start of the three way and the head. The brew pressure is back!?! Took the head off. FILTHY! At that point I decided to take other head off and clean it as well. Found the blockage. The "group jet" (Coffee Parts part number 703504) inlet was blocked with corrosion.

The boiler sight glass top gasket was also blocked. Now fixed.

Put it all back together and put some descale through. Came out pretty clean.

Now the sight glass works I could see that the boiler fills but only to a little less than 2/3.

The machine seemed to run too hot. I backed the pressurestat back down. Tried it a 1. Still the same. Tried at 0.8. A bit better but the steam isnt as good. Other strange things. The pressurestat sometimes sat in between states, arcing away. Another time it stayed on reaching 1.5 before I switched off.

I left the machine on for hours. When I tried a blank shot no brew pressure again. Pump just runs, no brew pressure, no water flow.
    I released the pressure off through the steam wands. Switched back on. Brew pressure back, water flow back!
    Me suspects the boiler isnt full enough. The boiler then becomes full off steam. Pump is just pushing steam around, maybe? Might explain the other pressurestat problems.

I take the earthing probe off untill the boiler is full on the sight glass.
    The shots ran cooler. Bumped the pressurestat to 1 bar. Seems to be running at the right temp. Left on for four hours. Still have brew pressure. :) Pressurestat now seems to be working fine. Other things "seem" right, like the first blank shot when the machine has been idle for a while runs too hot. Before it didnt make a difference.

See what tomorrow brings.

The shots are already noticeably better than from the Silvia.
    Makes me one happy boy!

If you have questions feel free to ask me. I did a resto on a single group Brugnetti a while ago.

My machine was a 1994 machine...group head was nasty! Unbolted it, descaled the whole thing, had a lot of fun trying to get the showerscreen off. Once off, scrubbed the group head like crazy to get rid of the nasty old coffee and chiseled out the gasket.

Have fun ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 1133352E292335460 link=1241606504/10#10 date=1241964293
    If you have questions feel free to ask me. I did a resto on a single group Brugnetti a while ago.

My machine was a 1994 machine...group head was nasty! Unbolted it, descaled the whole thing, had a lot of fun trying to get the showerscreen off. Once off, scrubbed the group head like crazy to get rid of the nasty old coffee and chiseled out the gasket.

Have fun *;)
    Thanks David!

I am having fun!
    I thought that my Brugnetti would be slowly fixed up and stay in the garage until I re arranged the kitchen. Was going to continue to use my Silvia.
    The Silvia hasnt been switched on since!

One of my shower screens come off ok. The other had to be pried off.
    The water dispersers were horrible. As I managed to screw them off chunks of dried up coffee grounds came off in strips. YUK!
    I didnt have to chisel out the gasket but did have to use the screw method.

Questions? I have many!
    Please excuse any stupid/meaningless questions; I am new to this coffee snob thing. I only joined last October. Started home roasting mid Oct. Ive had a Silvia (my first machine) for about 18months. Just PIDed it mid Jan. Probably learn to clean it properly at that time.
    Now I have this beast in the kitchen. One short, very steep learning curve!

The machine seems to run hot. Left to idle the first blank shot will spit. All blank shots are bubbly. This is where the pressurestat is set to 1 bar. Does this seem normal?
    Probably need to scace it. Even then, if it is running hot how do I adjust it? I donít really want to drop below 1 bar. At 0.8 the steam seems wet. Put heat sinks on the brew pipes? Just a thought!
    Still, the shots are better than from the Silvia.

What is the BFC steam arm and tip? Mistral tip? What difference does it make to steaming milk? Where do I get one?
    Currently both tips are four hole. Would changing to a two hole help with smaller amounts of milk?
    This is one area where the Brugnetti is in another world. Steaming for one latte on the Silvia would take twenty or more seconds. You can do milk for two lattes but the Silvia does run out of puff. Normally I would steam for one, prime the boiler, wait for it to get back to temp and go again.
    Brugnetti? Three seconds for steaming milk for one latte. Three seconds. :o
    Milk for two lattes seems to work better. This seems to take about 6-8 seconds. Very quick for my very, very, small amount of experience.

Can the auto volume be set?
    Im not that concerned, I hit the double button, wait till I want to stop and hit the button again.

Any suggestions and answers are very welcome!
    Oh, Its a 99 "C" model. 8 litre boiler. The heater element is 2800 Watts.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2C2F3D3D392F374E0 link=1241606504/11#11 date=1242004642
    The machine seems to run hot. Left to idle the first blank shot will spit. All blank shots are bubbly. This is where the pressurestat is set to 1 bar. Does this seem normal?
    Yes, depending on how long the machine has been left, I flush my machine for a good 8 seconds until all superheated water comes out of the heat exchanger.

I also have my machine set at 1 bar. The results have been good when you nail them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2C2F3D3D392F374E0 link=1241606504/11#11 date=1242004642
    What is the BFC steam arm and tip? Mistral tip? What difference does it make to steaming milk? Where do I get one?
    Currently both tips are four hole. Would changing to a two hole help with smaller amounts of milk?
    This is one area where the Brugnetti is in another world. Steaming for one latte on the Silvia would take twenty or more seconds. You can do milk for two lattes but the Silvia does run out of puff. Normally I would steam for one, prime the boiler, wait for it to get back to temp and go again.
    Brugnetti? Three seconds for steaming milk for one latte. Three seconds. Shocked
    Milk for two lattes seems to work better. This seems to take about 6-8 seconds. Very quick for my very, very, small amount of experience.
    I changed to the BFC steam tip and arm....which is a vast improvement on the standard Brugnetti arm and tip. It did need a bit of modifying to get the arm on (had to buy a spring from Bunnings) and bending the arm out a bit to give it full range of motion.

The BFC tip will make things a little slower....but not by much! Its the steam tip used at World Barista Championships. Its a 4 hole tip with something like a 1.2 mm holes. Even I was blown away by how much steam pressure the thing had at 1 bar, blew the La Marzocco dual boilers right out the water.

I wouldnt change to a 2 hole tip, in time you will learn to master the 3 second milk steaming and get beautiful silky milk every time. For now though, I would just block up one or 2 of the existing holes with a toothpick.

re: mistral tip. Its probably the best steaming tip Ive used, easy to keep clean and dead easy to make great milk.

Can the auto volume be set?
    Im not that concerned, I hit the double button, wait till I want to stop and hit the button again.
    Yes it can, via a very old school key switch method. From the picture, I cant see the key switch though. I had to replace the switch with a new one because the machine didnt come with a key. Once in, its as simple as flicking the key in to the 2nd pole which activates programming mode, then running the groups for as long as needed. I actually never use programmed key pads, I will always use the manual brew button regardless of what machine it is. This button on the keypad is right-most button with the Brugnetti logo on it (Im sure you already figured that out!)

Oh, Its a 99 "C" model. 8 litre boiler. The heater element is 2800 Watts.
    wow, my single group is over 2000 W and 7 L boiler.

Good luck

Thanks again David,

Now I want one! So where so I get this BFC arm and tip?
    Coffee Parts? Is the the arm for the Nuova?
    http://www.coffeeparts.com/simonelli/703474.htm

Yep I figured out the manual button! But the four other buttons have pre infusion, the manual doesnt. Do know what that means in the cup. I am sure getting the brew temp right is more important.

Key? Huh? Ill have another look. Cant remember seeing anything.

Yep, I thought the boiler would be bigger. My friends Faema takes about 40-50 mins to heat up. This thing takes about 15. Although to heat all the brew group and handles takes 40-50. It recovers quick. The pressurestat kicks in and you can see the needle move fast.

Thanks

Are you guys using independent gauges for measuring boiler pressure and pump pressure - or inbuilt machine gauges?

Quote Originally Posted by 585B49494D5B433A0 link=1241606504/13#13 date=1242016471
    Now I want one! So where so I get this BFC arm and tip?
    Coffee Parts? Is the the arm for the Nuova?
    http://www.coffeeparts.com/simonelli/703474.htm
    just make sure the arm will fit on the the existing tap

Quote Originally Posted by 585B49494D5B433A0 link=1241606504/13#13 date=1242016471
    Key? Huh? Ill have another look. Cant remember seeing anything.

Can you see the little key switch, on the right?

Yep, I thought the boiler would be bigger. My friends Faema takes about 40-50 mins to heat up. This thing takes about 15. Although to heat all the brew group and handles takes 40-50. It recovers quick. The pressurestat kicks in and you can see the needle move fast.
    Mine takes 20 minutes max, but thats with running the water through the group and stuff to get the parts all up to temp.

Quote Originally Posted by 4A737979757675567B6E6E7F1A0 link=1241606504/14#14 date=1242018046
    Are you guys using independent gauges for measuring boiler pressure and pump pressure - or inbuilt machine gauges?
    I use the inbuilt dual manometer for both brew and boiler. But I set the rotary pump with a pressure gauge portafilter.

I cant remember anything that looked like that key lock thing. Maybe there is a jumper on the controller box on mine. Maybe its set at factory and I have to deal with it. It does allow be to cut the extraction short manually any way.

You have me really confused on the steam arm!

BFC are called Diadema here. A quick look at the model shows that they have different arms.
    The WBC use the Nuova Simonelli machine.
    So is it a Diadema arm with a Nuova tip? A Nuova arm? Is BFC in reference to something else? Mistral tip? Who makes that?
    ARGGHHH!

Quote Originally Posted by 3F3C2E2E2A3C245D0 link=1241606504/17#17 date=1242023080
    Maybe its set at factory and I have to deal with it. It does allow be to cut the extraction short manually any way.
    definitely not. On an old machine like this there is no fancy electronics, look for a simple mechanical switch somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by 3F3C2E2E2A3C245D0 link=1241606504/17#17 date=1242023080
    BFC are called Diadema here. A quick look at the model shows that they have different arms.
    The WBC use the Nuova Simonelli machine.
    So is it a Diadema arm with a Nuova tip? A Nuova arm? Is BFC in reference to something else? Mistral tip? Who makes that?
    ARGGHHH!
    Ok, the steam arm I have on my machine is a BFC steam arm with BFC steam tip. WBC steam tip is this standard BFC steam tip. BFC makes a whole lot of machines under different names for different companies. Diadema is just one of them.

Mistral tip is made for the La Marzocco Mistral.

Thanks again David,

I really appreciate your time!

I had a look for the mechanical switch. None.

The pads go to a Cigar controller box via two ribbon cables. This box then controls everything. There is one jumper that looks like it could be moved. I am guessing that is it.
    I have only had this machine going for one day, so I am going to leave it alone for the time being.

The pipe to the from the boiler/head to the three way also looks different to other photos that I had seen. It was here that I thought I could hang some heat sinks if need be.

Okay, there should be on the Gicar box, a little port with 2 pins where it looks like a jumper can go on. Usually this is connected to a ribbon cable with 2 wires connected to a switch. When short circuited, the controller goes in to programming mode and youll notice the volumetric pad LEDs flashing or something. Because you dont have a switch, I would just put a jumper across the terminals to enter it in to programming mode. Make sure you do it while the machine is off and unplugged of course ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 28223720202F3B3D4E0 link=1241606504/6#6 date=1241656186

Dont know if this was a true story or not Wink
    Thats quite funny m8, i needed a good laugh, thanx... Ray. 8-)