Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nico

Thread: La Pavoni Pub single

La Pavoni Pub single

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello All,

I got my hands on a La Pavoni Pub single group auto, circa 1999 (for free). The outside looks pretty good still, but it has been sitting in a storeroom with water inside it for close on 5 years now.

So I dropped it off at the fixeruppers yesterday, and got the quote back today. $750. Yipes. It sounds like the some pipes, seals and the pump needs replacement, and possibly some of the electronics are fried. I am not exactly sure how to proceed at this stage, but I will be getting an itemised quote later this week, and I will give an update.

Anyway, it is an absolutely lovely machine, and I will post some pics later this week.
    I still need to decide if it will be worth fixing. Any input will be welcomed

Re: La Pavoni Pub single

Itemised quote will at least let you see whether you might be able to do any of it yourself.

Are you mechanically minded?

Welcome Nico... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I think fellow CSer "Sparky" owns a similar (but larger) machine and may be able to help you out with very useful info.... :)

Mal.

at $750 I think you would still be a little under second hand price.

$750 certainly appears to be under the new price - given it has been posted in the $3k+ folder. No idea what someone would pay for a 2nd hand one.

I am still waiting for the quote, but I am now really looking forward to doing a nice restoration project myself. The are still selling the exact same model I have, and they are $3800 new. I am not sure if it should be in this folder based on the new price, or in another folder, based on what they sell for secondhand, which seems to be in the $1800 range.

I have read a few resto threads here and elsewhere, and I am armed with manuals, wiring diagrams, exploded parts lists, tools, and a camera - to help with reassembling the lot. I have recurring nightmares about a bucket of bits with no idea where they are supposed to go. :)

I had a laugh. I know the feeling... Arm yourself with snaplock bags as well. Perfect for storage of like parts, and labelling.

Keep us posted - I love resto threads - Maybe too much ::)

I want to fetch the la pavoni today, and got the itemised quote. The guy explained to me that this was absolute worst case. I still have to hunt these parts down on coffeparts, and see what can be fixed first.

Group Seal *$15
    Shower to Group $15
    Pump $95
    Group Valve for Group $175 *(yikes)
    Auto Box *$260 *(This was one of the maybe nots)
    Element Gasket $8
    Pressure Stata $65
    Labour $120

So, since the machine has been standing for about 5 years with water inside, I suspect there may be some additional damage, but the pros reckon not.

Here are some pics of the pav outside:

N.B.

Gday PavoniBoy...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Can you keep image size to a maximum of 640(W)x480(H) pixels please mate? Larger images can slow down page loading considerably, especially for people with limited bandwidth connections..... :(

If you are unsure about how to easily resize your images,
    this link will hopefully assist :).

Thanks,
    Mal.
    P.S.
    Perhaps you could resize the remainder of your images in the posts below.... :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 77707A76190 link=1242303497/7#7 date=1242644954
    I want to fetch the la pavoni today, and got the itemised quote. The guy explained to me that this was absolute worst case. I still have to hunt these parts down on coffeparts, and see what can be fixed first.

Group Seal * * * * * *$15
    Shower to Group * * * * * *$15
    Pump * * * * * * * * *$95
    Group Valve for Group * * *$175 *(yikes)
    Auto Box * * * * * *$260 *(This was one of the maybes)
    Element Gasket * * * * * *$8
    Pressure Stata * * * * * *$65
    Labour * * * * * * * * *$120

So, since the machine has been standing for about 5 years with water inside, I suspect there may be some additional damage, but the pros reckon not.

Here are some pics of the pav outside:
    I think it is a bit to much for you to manage..

How about I flick you 50 and take it off ya hands :D

The inside actually looks better than the outside. I can see where the shot element gasket has to go. I suspect this was the reason they stopped using it. Madness.

I am not sure what the black box with the seized contact is, but I suspect it may be fried.

All in all a lot better looking inside than I imagined.

looks great inside....the guys are marking the parts up like no tomorrow. If you are mechanically inclined, you can purchase all these parts at Coffee Parts and do it all yourself on the cheap.

Was about to say the same thing. CoffeeParts will have what you want. Group seal should be more like 7 rather than 15 for a start (but I havent looked for your exact model).

Looks pretty good otherwise.

If you get really adventurous you could pull absolutely everything apart... taking pictures as you go of course ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 4D747E7E727172517C6969781D0 link=1242303497/12#12 date=1242687693
    If you get really adventurous you could pull absolutely everything apart... taking pictures as you go of course *;)
    Digital cameras have certainly made this aspect of overhauling complex equipment a much more accessible task than it used to be.... 8-)

Mal.

I will certainly be taking lots of pics, and updating on progress I have made. I will also be resizing properly. The first ones were in fact resized down, but only to 800x600. Sorry mods.

I have decided to pull as much as possible apart. I can imagine how much gunk and buildup could be in the boiler and other bits from having water in it for 5 years.

So the first things on my agenda is to see if I can fix the pump. The Pav has an Ulka pump in, as you can tell from one of the above pics, and when I fired it up the other day it was way noisy, and was not pulling any water through, so I did a bit of research, and found this interesting blog entry from a guy that stripped, cleaned and repaired a broken ulka.

http://ulkapumprepair.blogspot.com/

If the pump is busted, I will replace it, but since my budget is really tight, my motto is fix before replace.

So I am not really sure how the guy that did the quote could be sure all the stuff on that list needs replacement, since the pump is not working properly, so I would imagine you could not really try to pull a shot to test. You probably would not want to, since doing so may block everything up if any of the crud got pushed through the system.

In terms of the $175 group valve, and all the other valves, I see that all the components that make up the valve can be bought separately, so even if parts are seized or rusted, I would probably only need to replace those - I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E51585A4D725E515E585A525A514B3F0 link=1242303497/8#8 date=1242645124

I think it is a bit to much for you to manage..

How about I flick you 50 and take it off ya hands *:D
    Thanks for the offer mate, but the machine is 380mm wide, and if I remember correctly you have a 330mm restriction :D

So, Ive been working on the machine, but I have not posted any updates. Here are some pics that were taken May 27.

At this point I stripped the whole machine down, and the insides of the boiler looked a lot worse than the outsides :)

I fumbled with the flow meter, and broke off one pin. School fees
    A also broke a plastic piece off the inlet side of the vibrapump. More School fees. At the very least it looked like the vibrapump was buggered anyway. I will keep the old one around for spares.

cant see the pics :(

now i can !!! :)

nice

Here are a few more from the same day.

I took a whole lot of other pictures during the stripping process, but thought I would share these.

Skip to July 7th. I really spent less time on the Pav than I had planned. I have started to clean all the stuff, and gave the boiler its first bath. The scale in the boiler was very persistent, and I ended up doing a citric acid bath, and 2 cafetto descaler baths, and in the end it was very clean and shiny.

Some steam wand cleaning

Nico,
    Its starting to come together! This machine is absolutely gorgeous and well worth any spare second you have.
    So what stage are you up to now? Please keep us updated with info and pics ;)

Cheers,
    Ben

I took these this morning.

Everything is back together!!

Now I just need to wait a day or two for the thread sealant I used in a few places to completely cure, and then I can fire everything up.

I will see if I have some pics of some of the cleaned parts before assembly. Here is the whole lot all back together again.

I replaced the crappy little pressure stat that was all stuffed up with a fine specimen more fitting to this class of machine. In the <edit> fourth pic I am holding the old one next to the new one.

I really hope it works :)

Here are a few pics of the Front of the machine. It needs a little bit of work still.

For now I will put in a bit of work on the cosmetics of the machine. Get the splash plate and front a bit more polished and even more shiny looking, while I wait for the thread sealant to cure.

I also still need to give proper attention to the group handles, and the sides of the machine. The rear cover has had a bit of a polish already.

I am dying to switch the machine on already, and I really hope there is nothing that is stuffed like electronics or anything else.

Caffeine Junky

Best of luck Nico, Ill have my fingers crossed for you.
    Look forward to the next post and, hopefully, pics of some lovely shots.

Question for everyone

in Nicos picture of his Gicar flow meter in reply #18, it looks like there is a little LED light where the wiring / solenoid goes on.

Is it a LED? does it (do they) light up in operation?

if not *a LED whats it for as mine has one as well that does not light up

this is a very nice looking machine Nico, saw one i a Kebab shop in crows nest Sydney the other day and thought it looked good. Wasted in the kebab shop i reckon but.....

Good luck when you flip the switch :)

It is indeed an led. I would assume they light up everytime the magnets in the impeller wheel goes past the sensor. I will let you know if it does indeed go on, as I will probably be running it in the garage for a while without all the covers on. I figure that will limit the damage done if it blows up.

Nico, thanks to your pics i got my flowmeter issue sorted on my Brugnetti, cheers.

!!!! be careful of the electricity !!!

something i was thinking of for when you turn it on, is there a way you can pre-fill the boiler?

If it was mine I would consider prefilling if you can, it might be a lot of labour on that pump at the start. I took the OPV of mine to do it on one, not sure how you could on this one looking at the picks.

Some machines have a lever to press it allow water to bypass the pump. Mine does but it is a rotary and may be bigger than yours.

also see if you can prime the pump by making sure the water is right up to it in the hose and not drawing up the hose from a tank. If plumbed in it should not be a problem if a tank it might need priming.

I have actually assisted pumps by filling the hose with water and while holding the hose up "blown" into it with my mouth to pressurize the water in the hose at the pump and turning it on (the reverse of siphoning fuel?) when it then primes you can put the hose bank in the "tank" be safe if you attempt this!!!

!!!! be careful of the electricity !!!
    my disclaimer

look forward to pics of your 1st shots :)

Thanks for the tip. I Will be using an external tank, as it is a plumbed in model, but I was thinking of temporarily plumbing it in, for the exact reasons stated above. Alternatively, I can undo the internal pipe right by the vibrapump, and suck the water myself right up to the pump, and reconnect

I was thinking of removing the auto fill sensor, and filling through there with a funnel.

The one option I have also considered with the external tank was to keep the tank on top of a kitchen cabinet, and get gravity to help with supplying a bit of extra pressure, if needed. I am still not sure if it is possible to adjust the brew pressure other than by limiting or boosting the pressure on the way into the machine.

Is it too early to be considering a rotary pump mod? :)

Quote Originally Posted by 2B2C262A450 link=1242303497/26#26 date=1249358463
    It is indeed an led. I would assume they light up everytime the magnets in the impeller wheel goes past the sensor. I will let you know if it does indeed go on, as I will probably be running it in the garage for a while without all the covers on. I figure that will limit the damage done if it blows up.
    yes it flashes each time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2B2C262A450 link=1242303497/28#28 date=1249366605
    I was thinking of removing the auto fill sensor, and filling through there with a funnel.

or disconnect the element when you first turn it on to fill the boiler. That is what I do with a machine I have that fills very slowly and is at risk of ruining the elemen.

Quote Originally Posted by 73767A7E767926170 link=1242303497/29#29 date=1249371777
    Quote Originally Posted by 2B2C262A450 link=1242303497/28#28 date=1249366605

or disconnect the element when you first turn it on to fill the boiler. *That is what I do with a machine I have that fills very slowly and is at risk of ruining the elemen.
    Or both. I think Nico and Maheel were more interested in looking after the pump than the element. Drawing 6+L from a reservoir is a fair strain on a pump and this can be alleviated by pre-filling the boiler

ok - i get it.

By the way bjeck14 - glad you liked my S20 on ebay, ended up getting a pretty good price for it!

Quote Originally Posted by 42474B4F474817260 link=1242303497/31#31 date=1249376230
    ok - i get it. *

By the way bjeck14 - glad you liked my S20 on ebay, ended up getting a pretty good price for it!
    Haha it was you! That thing was beautiful - you must have been devastated to see it go (although your wallet wouldnt have been!)

Quote Originally Posted by 29212E28207A7F4B0 link=1242303497/32#32 date=1249376429
    Haha it was you! That thing was beautiful - you must have been devastated to see it go (although your wallet wouldnt have been!)
    yes sad to see it go, a lot of work went into that. But got some other new toys to keep me happy!

Quote Originally Posted by 4045494D454A15240 link=1242303497/33#33 date=1249376822
    Quote Originally Posted by 29212E28207A7F4B0 link=1242303497/32#32 date=1249376429
    Haha it was you! That thing was beautiful - you must have been devastated to see it go (although your wallet wouldnt have been!) *
    yes sad to see it go, a lot of work went into that. *But got some other new toys to keep me happy!
    yeah i was thinking protect the pump from overheating and cover the element at the same time.

Frabel, if you can put me on to "new toys" i am all ears :) always looking for something interesting

I fired up the beast last night. I will post some pics of shots I pulled here, and go over details in the next post.

Below are pics of my first and second shots, as well as the puck from the second shot. I pulled a few shots after this with varying success. I have to practice getting the grind setting, dose and tamp right.

Apart from a few niggles, I am as pleased as punch.

I just got off the phone with the tech from euroespresso. He very kindly explained a few issues I was worried about to me, and I reckon I should be overdosing on the good stuff tomorrow morning already.

So, the one problem is with the steam safety valve on the boiler. The spring is a bitfatigues, and lets out steam from about .5 bar. Temporary workaround was a few washers down the bottom end to bolster the pressure a bit, but did not work too great. I am heading over just now to pick up a new spring and seat.

So I filled up the boiler last night, and plugged the machine in. Switched it on, and a few minutes later observe a few leaks. Unplug and tighten, and all is well. Pump some water through the group, and see another leak. Unplug, and tighten.

This is when I saw the poor pressure valve failing, and I got the new pressurestat tuned to run the pressure between 1 and 1.2 bar, but since the boiler was losing steam at such a rapid rate is was touch to calibrate properly.

In any event, there are 2 slight leaks on the inlet side (the 2 joints I did not loxeal - typical), but other than that and the safety valve, everything seems to work pretty much as advertised. I even managed to get a decent looking shot out of it.

I still have to finish off the cosmetic work on the panels, etc, and will do some more pics of the complete result when Im done.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Great pics and story.

I love seeing these restorations. Keep the updates coming please.

Fitted the new spring and seat this weekend, so the safety valve is now working as expected.

I finished polishing up and fitting the panels, and everything is almost 100% now.

The sad thing is that I will probably have to sell it or swap it with someone for a smaller domestic machine, as we do not have the counter space required for it, and I dont want this just sitting in my garage - what a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by 73747E721D0 link=1242303497/38#38 date=1249871136

The sad thing is that I will probably have to sell it or swap it with someone for a smaller domestic machine, as we do not have the counter space required for it, and I dont want this just sitting in my garage - what a waste.
    PM SENT :)

A few of the pipe joins had very small leaks (all the ones I neglected to put some loxeal), so I did a quick undo - loxeal - redo, and everything seems okay now.

Some good news, I managed to negotiate a bit of kitchen counter space with my better half, and it fits in rather well. She has been very patient with all the time I had spent on the Pavoni so far, but was close to putting it on the pavement.

So this morning I switched it on, and made her a pretty decent flat white. She had one sip, and declared: "It can stay" (she also loves her coffee), so I guess I wont be trading down after all.

I pulled 5 coffees this morning (Im still buzzing), and I have the grinder dialed in much better now, but I feel the urge to do a few mods on the tranquilo to get some smaller steps or make it stepless, as well as replace the hopper with something a bit narrower, so that it can fit in next to the Pav.

I was quite satisfied with the micro foam, but the shots still need a lot of work, in my opinion.

I will take some pics of the final product tonight for a final update tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 353238345B0 link=1242303497/40#40 date=1250033745

Some good news, I managed to negotiate a bit of kitchen counter space with my better half, and it fits in rather well. She has been very patient with all the time I had spent on the Pavoni so far, but was close to putting it on the pavement.

So this morning I switched it on, and made her a pretty decent flat white. She had one sip, and declared: "It can stay" (she also loves her coffee), so I guess I wont be trading down after all.

i can relate to the space and better half, my wife told me "i am not going in that kitchen while that coffee machine is on the bench"

to which i responded "not that your in there much anyway" under my breath of course........ ;)

good to hear reckon your way better of keeping it :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7B777E73737A160 link=1242303497/41#41 date=1250034127
    Quote Originally Posted by 353238345B0 link=1242303497/40#40 date=1250033745

i can relate to the space and better half, my wife told me "i am not going in that kitchen while that coffee machine is on the bench"

to which i responded "not that your in there much anyway" under my breath of course........ ;)

good to hear reckon your way better of keeping it :)
    Guess what.. They also sneak in and read CS when you not around... Be warned ;D

All done.

I will probably need to do something to hide the water container sometime soon, or get a nicer looking container.

BangalowBarista likes this.

Well done Nico. I dont have the same kind of mechanical inclination. Good to see that all is good at the end. Now, how to improve steaming on my EM6910....

Gary ;)