Scoota Scores Big...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Its ordered!

2 weeks and it will be delivered!

*does happy dance*

Finally, the 10 year old Brasilia gets retired to who cares where! ;D

And replaced with an...

Expobar Ruggero 2 Group!

And Ive even managed to convince the boss to drop the height of the counter a tad (thanks to Dennis for that!) as it will be a machine with the high groups and I really dont need them up round my ears!

I promise...photos as soon as I see it!

*dances off to work*

Re: Scoota Scores Big...

Quote Originally Posted by 4E5E5252495C625A5C513D0 link=1242339441/0#0 date=1242339441
    Expobar Ruggero 2 Group!
    Excellent Scoots - may the good burghers of your town appreciate the new lease of life that their favourite barista has found, and their favourite brew become a tad more enjoyable.

Is there a cliff nearby where you can sacrifice the Brasilia to appease the coffee spirits?

TC

Great news Scoots!

Are you getting the "Americano" multi boiler model?

This one has a Gicar temp controller on each group and huge steam boiler. I reckon its a pretty impressive machine!

If you get the HX model- experience on Dennis old now departed machine says drop the boiler pressure to about 1 bar. The HX models run warm...

Enjoy ;)

2mcm

Congratulations Scoota - you wont look back!

I want to know the colour. That "is it green" one at CafeBiz looked wicked. :)

BTW, my bench height is 850mm.

Well, I totally jinxed the Brasilia today...it breathed its last! :o

Come about 10 am, I discovered that my steam was just lousy and on closer inspection saw that the water level was empty and no matter how much we pushed on the refill button, it just wasnt refilling!

So, out came the Iberital to take up the slack!

Thatll learn me to brag so early! :D

Were going the single boiler, Chris, because after a chat with our coffee supplier who quoted something that Scott Callaghan said, we decided to stick with old school.

Weve gone for a bronze colour, similar to the one that was up on the other side of the stage at Cafebiz. Yes, we thought that the harlequin type green was cool too but it so does not go with our decor!

Chris, does Expobar do a triple basket for their portafilters, do you know? And, do they also do a naked portafilter? Or am I going to have to get the baker to butcher another one like he did last time!? ;D (he was a butcher in a past life too... ;))

Quote Originally Posted by 606A7F6868677375060 link=1242339441/1#1 date=1242340193

Is there a cliff nearby where you can sacrifice the Brasilia to appease the coffee spirits?
    Theres a hill...we call it the levy bank! ;D

Nearest cliff is about 60kms away at Mt Kaputar...second highest range in Australia, highest free standing range... ;) But, seeing as its a National Park, we probably wont be allowed to sacrifice the old one like that...

TC

Scoots- the Expobar portafilters are shallow and youll need to grab a replacement if you want to get a triple into it.

When cut down for a naked, there is not too much metal left....

FWIW, Id just buy a dedicated naked and a deep portafilter....

2mcm

Expobar cater for 2 types of deeper portafilters.

You can get a naked and throw in a 21 or a 24 if you have a standard height group, or
    if you have a hi-group machine they have the older-generation style chunky deep handles that can accomodate a 21s pretty easily and Dean mentioned that you can get a 24 in it as well.

Pretty reasonably priced as well.

Jeff.

Excellent news Scoots.... 8-)

Finally, an espresso machine to match the talent and passion of the Barista behind it. Should get someone to drop around with a camera during the first week, lots of photos of a satisfied smile... ;)

Good one mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2535393922370931373A560 link=1242339441/5#5 date=1242368445
    Quote Originally Posted by 606A7F6868677375060 link=1242339441/1#1 date=1242340193

Theres a hill...we call it the levy bank! *;D

Nearest cliff is about 60kms away at Mt Kaputar...second highest range in Australia, highest free standing range... ;) But, seeing as its a National Park, we probably wont be allowed to sacrifice the old one like that...
    One might ask teh Question... Did teh old gal do teh job and get you to where you are today ?

Then... I would treat it with respect... Convert the Shell to something ( Parts are always in demand from CS members with too much time on their hands) or donate to a worthy cause :-)

We are in a through away culture as it is... And soon it will get too far off kilter...

I know I am worried... I figged I have done a fair job with my kids... But does that mean they can just DUMP me when they recon they have moved on and I can no longer give what they want...

Is that my fault or theirs (Sorry Scoots), thus why should I be treated with disrespect.. AM .. Standing up for the rights of all OLD machines... 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 4555595942576951575A360 link=1242339441/5#5 date=1242368445
    Mt Kaputar
    Sounds appropriate for a sacrifice of the Brasilia.

AM...the old "gal" wasnt the only thing that got me here today, Im afraid...my search for information on the likes of Coffeesnobs, along with many hours spent with other professionals on other better machines did that, I feel. The Brasilia was like having an old Holden to bash around in the paddock and now Im allowed to have the nice Lambourghini or Ferrari to really hone my skills on.

I agree...were living in a throw away society. But youll be pleased to know that my old wood fireplace which we replaced with a new one just today, is going in the backyard so when we watch the outdoor movies on the big screen, we can crank it up and have a nice fire! So, hows that for recycling for you!

However, in the case of the coffee machine...it has now come to the point where in the past month we have replaced two major parts to fix its chronic problem and now it has completely failed. So, yet another expensive part to possibly band aid it for who knows how long.

Were miles from a professional technician out here. The last trip to take this machine to Tamworth cost hundreds of dollars in time and petrol and repairs...and yet...here I am...with a machine that cant even fill itself.

No...the Brasilia has certainly paid its way and has definitely done its job...

And mate...people having been dumping their parents for years, IMO...isnt that what retirement homes are... ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 57474B4B50457B434548240 link=1242339441/11#11 date=1242393708
    And mate...people having been dumping their parents for years, IMO...isnt that what retirement homes are...
    Yea... But I dont want to be one...

You think about it... Some young nurse (what ever sex) comes and looks after you / feeds you / wipes ya backside and then as a final insult... Servers you instant coffee.. Pheft.. I up and out of there...

What did Scottie have to say about the multi boiler?

Site Sponsor

Has the Ruggero Americano multi boiler become a cheaper alternative to the La Marzocca?

Yes it has. There is also another dual boiler machine also built in Australia by CMT.

Site Sponsor

What model is that David? Im looking at putting a 3 group Ruggero into a 50 kilo account with upgraded 25amp 6000w element... same upgrade it recieved for the trans tasman competition. Really impressed with the build on this machine oh and it has bling potential with custom colour rear. ;D

Dont quote me but I was chatting to the guys from Expobar at CafeBiz and I know for sure the prices I was told were under LM prices. Cant tell you the model, sorry!

Best ring up and find out trade price.

What David said, SR. It seems that the Expobar guys will quote you retail but if you speak with them, theyll do you a better than retail price.

Site Sponsor

Thanks guys but Im already a distributor for expobar so well aware of the prices involved for the kit.

The statement was meant more so to steer discussion/debate of other peoples percepitions of the Ruggero vs the La [s]Marzocca[/s] Marzocco especially considering the wide gap in price involved but same basic technology and principle behind both.

Oh and congrats on the new machine Scoota, you getting the back done in custom colours? Always nice to have some custom bling. *;D

Quote Originally Posted by 4B7B606E617D6C7B5A606D6C090 link=1242339441/19#19 date=1242908925
    The statement was meant more so to steer discussion/debate of other peoples percepitions of the Ruggero vs the La Marzocca especially considering the wide gap in price involved but same basic technology and principle behind both.
    Really wanted to leave that alone hence my reply. But in a nutshell, it will never compete with LM.

Re: Scoota Scores Big...And Fixes the Original Problem...

Its been an interesting few weeks here...we are still without our Ruggero, mainly due to painting issues but I believe as of this week, they have managed to match up our colour and are in the painting process...

As I said earlier, the Brasilia died. RIP Brasilia, though I fully expect it to make a comeback... ;D

And we got a loaner machine. An Expobar to be precise, so we thought it would be good to see how it performed under our kind of pressure and so off we went.

Well, it too seemed to have issues. In fact, I was annoyed to hear the pump straining and constantly filling. It seemed like we getting duded with machines. The groups on the Expobar werent running much water through and when the pressure was really on, it just was letting us down big time.

Until today.

My thoughts on the potential problems of this machine were coming quickly to the conclusion that there was a water issue with it somewhere. It was more than coincidence that this really only 12 month old machine was having similar issues to a 10 year old machine.

My boss lady rang me at 12.30 pm today to let me know that the Expobar was flashing all its panel lights at her and did I have any idea as to what that meant?

I knew it meant something was bad. After a quick check on the internet for the manual, I saw that it was bad. For the Expobar it means that the boiler isnt filling and is probably empty. This time, I knew something needed to be done and so, I raced off down to the shop after it had closed.

Walking in, I asked my boss what she had told her husband. She had told him that there was some problem and that he had removed the filter cartridge from the filter to see if it got better that morning. It hadnt improved at all.

I turned off the water and the power and looked at my boss, asking if she was prepared for me to try and solve the problem. We had to do this because it was potentially meaning a major breakdown on someone elses machine. Something that she didnt want to have happen. With a nod and a yes from her, I whipped out the spanners and took to the water hose fittings.

About 10 minutes later, after removing the hoses from the filter and the machine, I found the problem.

There is a steel reducer in the out part of the filter housing which the braided water hose to the machine is connected to. Of course, it was full of corrosion and rubbish. There was absolutely no way for water to pass through and I was amazed that the machine had managed to get any water at all. No wonder the pump had been straining.

Without bothering to try and clear it, I just ducked down to our local rural retailer who sells everything from chook food to jeans and even brass reducers. At the right size too.

So, basically, 2 bucks later and Id managed to fix the machine. Water was pouring happily from the groups and the pump hummed as quiet as ever.

Incredible to think that 2 bucks could have been between us and several hundred or more.

Must tell my male boss about the horse shoe nail sometime... ::)

Now...before you all jump on my male boss... ;)

Hes a good bloke, handy to have around generally and this week a little stressed from 1) Turning 50 and 2) Not having his offsider at work (he was on holidays).

Also, were about 700 kilometres from any kind of system back up and support. As far as getting any thing fixed, its do it yourself with help over the phone. I can tell you, even Belaroma dont send their reps out this far, infact, I dont know ANY coffee company who send their reps out this far, or even want to. So, as far as support goes, were an island and were on our own. Generally, we have to fix stuff ourselves.

And of course, being in a bakery, there are more machines and things to worry about than just coffee. Yes yes, I and we know how important it is to the business, but it is not the mainstay of it.

So, having defended my poor old boss... ;D I will say...

Go Girl Power... ;D

No, we wont rub his nose in it this week...

Actually, itll be an interesting experience on Monday when I walk in there... ;)...Ill be sure to let you know how I go!

And for your enjoyment,

My "three group machine"... ;)

Great stuff Scoots.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I dont know about letting your boss off that easy though, never happens to me. I make the smallest of mistakes and its remembered for years, without letup... ::)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 7565696972675961676A060 link=1242339441/21#21 date=1244897771
    So, having defended my poor old boss... ;D I will say...

Go Girl Power... ;D
    I had a laugh You go girl indeed! Very nice Scoots, very nice indeed!! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Java "Gotta love a good trouble shooter!" phile

Scoota,

Where are you based? My in-laws live in the Tamworth area (Kelvin, near Gunnedah) and I never drink coffee during our visits. Tell me youre close by!

Grant

Grant,

Im just up the road...

In Wee Waa! ;D

So come out for a visit sometime... ;)

How is the mega crem treating you, I have had mine for a few months and it is going great (with a small bump in the road but smoothed out now)?

Now that weve fixed the water supply issues, GREAT! Today, the machine was pouring beautiful shots all day without a hiccup. Felt good to be back on with a properly working machine again! Now, Im really looking forward to that new Ruggero. Though this morning my male boss asked me if I thought we should not get it...he got complete silence for an answer... ;D

Little Anna will go back home and Ill be able to have my full workspace again! What a champion machine that little Iberital is too!

What was your "small bump" moto?

Issue with the electric motor, new one installed and away we go. Could have happened to anyone.

Well...finally...

Paid for and left Melbourne today!

Cant wait!

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

WooHoo!! Gotta love new toys! :D

That last part of the wait while a new toy is being delivered always seems to be the hardest part! Hoping it doesnt get hurt in transit and anxiously awaiting that knock on the door that says Im here! Come play with me!. :)

Java "Cleaning up a new toy" phile

ITS HERE!!

Oh my goodness! OMG!!

*runs around doing mildly stupid happy dance* (cause, you can all see me doing that, cant you! ;D)

It ARRIVED today! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Yes...Ive got photos... ::) :P

Close up...

And here is any baristas dream...dueling coffee machines... ;D

And for some really strange reason, two people have already commented that it looks like a car... :-? Go figure...I mean, it doesnt have any wheels or doors...so how is it like a car!? :o

Congrats Scoots.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

And for some really strange reason, two people have already commented that it looks like a car... :-? Go figure...I mean, it doesnt have any wheels or doors...so how is it like a car!? :o
    Maybe its due to the beautiful paint job and all that shiny stuff ;D

Mal.

So is it a step up from the megacrem? Very cool bit of kit. 8-)

Initial thoughts are that it is pouring a better shot than the megacrem. The crema this afternoon was so much darker and the coffee a lot sweeter. I think that the megacrem may have been running just a bit too hot in comparison to the Ruggero.

But that is just initial thoughts.

Yes, Mal...I suspect that the paint job and all the chrome bling had something to do with it! ;D

So beautiful!! Love the styling!

Hows the coffee???

Coffee was GREAT! :) :D <---- Me buzzing from having coffee so late in the day...

Hey Scoota

Congratulations to all at the Bakery!

Now I think you need to get a new strip to replace the "crema cafe" strip with "coffee nazi" and it will be all good.

Cheers and see you soon! ;)

OOoooOOOooo....Dats purty!! Very nice! [smiley=thumbup.gif] 8-)

Java "Congrats!" phile

Quote Originally Posted by 6575797962774971777A160 link=1242339441/32#32 date=1246260964
    And for some really strange reason, two people have already commented that it looks like a car.
    As a car buff I see the reason for the comment
    It looks like the boot of a few older vintage cars like the MGA and others of that era

Still old cars cant make good coffee so you are one up on them scoota

Nice paint job by the way

KK

I think mine has more curves, KK... ;)

(If were doing car shots...heres one of mine at the drags with Andy a month or so ago!) Its a Chevy Camaro.

And thanks for the compliment on the paint job...we chose the colour ourselves!

Congrats Scoots!

Hope youre happy with the machine. Now you can play with temperature on the fly and adjust the temperature of each ground depending on what blend or how old the coffee is, how cool is that! You did get the multi-boiler version right? or HX....is it HX? I cant see the temp controllers under the group heads.

Good luck with the machine. Ditch the Synesso tips and put on something else :P ohhhh and enjoy the ride