Thread: Rancilio Z9? Rancilio VM 3 bolt (Procon) external pump specs

Rancilio Z9? Rancilio VM 3 bolt (Procon) external pump specs

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all
    I am posting this here as I think it is fitted to a Rancilio Z9 or similar, please move it if it should be posted elsewhere.

A friend of mine is the custodian of an old Rancilio 3 head commercial machine, that looks like a Z9 its a 1970s vintage orange monster whatever it is. An external rotary pump is fitted to it which has packed up. Unfortunately I think somehow it has been allowed run dry or with the water supply turned off as the carbon wear parts in the pump are cracked and the shaft is all scored. The pump is a Procon and it has the three bolt mounting flange but the identification label on the end of the the pump is missing. There is a tag on the baseplate of the pump assembly which says Rancilio VM and it is identical to these attached photos I found on the net.

Can anyone please help me out with details about what series Procon pump this is and what its flow specs are?

Im a fridge mechanic so have contact with people doing hotel / beverage work and it looks similar to a postmix carbonator pump but I want to compare the specs to make sure.

Re: Rancilio Z9? Rancilio VM 3 bolt (Procon) external pump specs

That should be a standard Procon Series 2 pump, same specs as the more common flange-mount type. Flow should be rated at 110 litres/hour. The other difference to the more common Procon pump is that these use a small flat on the end of the pump shaft fitted with a press-on flange with 3 drive pins cast in, driven by another similar flange on the motor with a rubber spacer disc between.

They are also used in postmix and beer dispensing systems, so you may be able to source a new pump or rebuild kit through your contacts. If all else fails, CoffeeParts should have them, part number for a 3-bolt Rancilio style pump is 700009 (Thats a Nuova Ricambi part number).

Merci Beaucoup!!
    Not a lot of real work is going to get down tomorrow :o

Isnt that the Z9 pump that sold on the bay of evil?

CH

Quote Originally Posted by 1634293C3A351C0F5B0 link=1316508319/1#1 date=1316596429
    That should be a standard Procon Series 2 pump, same specs as the more common flange-mount type. Flow should be rated at 110 litres/hour. The other difference to the more common Procon pump is that these use a small flat on the end of the pump shaft fitted with a press-on flange with 3 drive pins cast in, driven by another similar flange on the motor with a rubber spacer disc between.
    This project got back burnered for a while but I have finally got hold of a procon pump, I think its a series 3 with a 175W motor from a beverage system.

I am not very familiar with how rotary pumps are used in commercial espresso machines, does the pump run continuously or does it start and stop as you pull a shots or fill the boiler?
    The reason for my questions is that the motor on this pump (left hand side in pic) is not a capacitor start one and the old rancilio pump (right side) is a capacitor start. If the pump runs continuously than I dont think this will be an issue but if it is meant to start and stop intermittently then I think it could be. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by 7367617670120 link=1316508319/4#4 date=1333726551
    does the pump run continuously
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by 7367617670120 link=1316508319/4#4 date=1333726551
    does it start and stop as you pull a shots or fill the boiler?
    Yes.

Not all Procon pumps are built to the same specs. Cross-reference the part number on the two pumps to make sure the new one is fit for the job.

Java "https://store-c59cb.mybigcommerce.com/content/Series%202%20Pump_spec.pdf" phile

Heres a couple of photos of the pump that came with my Rancilio Z9.