Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vorax

Thread: la marzocco gs3 paddle version questions

la marzocco gs3 paddle version questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I was about to order a standard GS3 this week, when a conversation with a LM machine techie made me rethink my choice. I initially wanted the paddle version, but decided on the standard version since the former had more maintenance involved. Long story short, according to him its marginally more. So now Im back to the paddle. Yes, I have searched the forum for info on the paddle version. I need a bit more anecdotal info from owners please, preferably from people who have bought this version in the last two years. I have a plumbed in commercial machine at the moment, and will do the same with the GS3... so changing over will be simple.

Have you had issues with the paddle, or is it simply a case of a little extra maintenance required?*

I would also like to know if you notice a difference with the preinfusion and without.

Thanks for all, and any constructive replies.
    seapilot48 likes this.

Re: la marzocco gs3 paddle version questions

You can do a search on the site and you will more than likely get a lot of good info, top right corner search box.

I also recall another recent thread with people posting their experiences with the machine.

Looks like its a lovely beast!

Cheers

Hi Art

Thanks for the response.I had a look at the previous threads, but it didnt really address my queries.

IMO (another tech) maintenance issues on the o rings come down to proper A: filtration and B: mains pressure regulation. If these two issues are properly addressed, in a domestic situation the o-rings will not give trouble.

There are also potential issues through servicing by inexperienced / ill-equipped techs. Any scoring of the inner sleeve during o-ring removal will cause premature wear (there is a specific LM tool to do this job without damaging the sleeve bore), and the genuine o rings will last longer than equivalent generic ones.

Thats precisely what he said. Water quality, and pressure reduction valve.

Spot on.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 3A233E2D344C0 link=1337765125/4#4 date=1338036662
    Thats precisely what he said. Water quality, and pressure reduction valve.

Spot on.
    Mine has always been run with a 350kPa PLV and high quality filtration. It still chews through a set of group o-rings pretty much every 12 months. Love the mahcine though and am just assuming that like any other machine, you assume a service will be required every 12 months. Mine normally happens in response to other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 273E233029510 link=1337765125/0#0 date=1337765125
    I was about to order a standard GS3 this week, when a conversation with a LM machine techie made me rethink my choice. I initially wanted the paddle version, but decided on the standard version since the former had more maintenance involved. Long story short, according to him its marginally more. So now Im back to the paddle. Yes, I have searched the forum for info on the paddle version. I need a bit more anecdotal info from owners please, preferably from people who have bought this version in the last two years. I have a plumbed in commercial machine at the moment, and will do the same with the GS3... so changing over will be simple.

Have you had issues with the paddle, or is it simply a case of a little extra maintenance required?*

I would also like to know if you notice a difference with the preinfusion and without.

Thanks for all, and any constructive replies.
    If you were not plumbing it I would go the volumetric, it has the advantage to preinfuse with pulses of the pump on tank.
    The paddle requires line pressure to do its preinfusing, the boiler pressure on tank doesnt really have enough pressure to saturate the puck completely. I havent had mine all that long so i cant say how long ill be before i need to service it but from what Chris has said, 12months seems to be the standard on it. I already have a spare o-rings & gaskets set for when it comes time, it seems like a half hour job. La Marzocco have a youtube clip on how to do it if your unsure, but if your unsure you should probably have a pro do it for you.
    Oh preinfusing and is there any taste difference.. IMHO I cant taste a difference, ive been told it does help with "forgivness factor" in barista error, if this is true or not i have no idea.
    Hope that helps..

My GS/3 MP does require paddle maintenance about every 6 months and has been said the usage of clean, soft, water is essential.

Cheers,

Stephen

How high a line pressure, for aiding pre-infusion, would you run the paddle version of the GS/3?

Hi vorax, sorry to bother you. I am thinking about upgrading to LM GS3 too, same hard decision , which model? AV , EE or PADDLE?
    Any advise? Which model you finally bought? Are you happy with your decision? Any problem? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_machinist View Post
    IMO (another tech) maintenance issues on the o rings come down to proper A: filtration and B: mains pressure regulation. If these two issues are properly addressed, in a domestic situation the o-rings will not give trouble.

There are also potential issues through servicing by inexperienced / ill-equipped techs. Any scoring of the inner sleeve during o-ring removal will cause premature wear (there is a specific LM tool to do this job without damaging the sleeve bore), and the genuine o rings will last longer than equivalent generic ones.
    A big +1 for inexperienced Technicians messing with the GS/3!!! I have been chasing little things like steam boiler water level sensor probe position for a couple of months to find out what it is supposed to be. It sure effects the steam boilers apparent liking to dump water into the drip tray!

What main line pressure would you use?

Haymarket, I am unaware of a "EE" version. Could you describe the difference?

350 kPa or 3.5 bar is the upper limit of the standard pressure reduction valve that is commonly used in Oz, and works really well for mains pre-infusion. Higher mains pressures will result in premature failure of the paddle o-rings, specifically the one in the stack that seals the brew boiler when the machine is idle.

The probe is bent, as you probably already know. The default angle is rotated about 45 degrees away from straight down IIRC. The GS/3 is very sensitive to fill level adjustments!

There is no EE version, EE is Marzocco parlance for a semi-automatic machine ie. start/stop manual group activation which is available on the entire range other than the GS/3.

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_machinist View Post
    350 kPa or 3.5 bar is the upper limit of the standard pressure reduction valve that is commonly used in Oz, and works really well for mains pre-infusion. Higher mains pressures will result in premature failure of the paddle o-rings, specifically the one in the stack that seals the brew boiler when the machine is idle.

The probe is bent, as you probably already know. The default angle is rotated about 45 degrees away from straight down IIRC. The GS/3 is very sensitive to fill level adjustments!

There is no EE version, EE is Marzocco parlance for a semi-automatic machine ie. start/stop manual group activation which is available on the entire range other than the GS/3.
    Thank you for the response!

So that 45 degree angle off of straight down is correct! The dealer that I bought it from had one at straight down and it came back from LM at a 45 degree angle so I was puzzled. The pulled out about 1-1/4 inch had me puzzled as well. I pushed it back in to about 1/4 inch of shaft showing.

No "EE" version, good to know since I have been reading all I can on these machines and never saw and "EE" version; thanks! The AV is about as close as it gets isn't it?

So you think 3 Bar would be a good point to set the pressure? Right now I am about 2.5 Bar. From what I have read about the Strada Mod the entire range of pressure can be adjusted from the paddle; am I close to accurate?

Thanks for the great advice!

Stephen

How come the only PLVs that are coming up in searches are for the Oz market? Surely if mains line pressure is an issue down there it would also be an issue up here, so why am I not seeing PLVs being marketed here? My mains pressure is about 65PSI, slightly above the 50PSI (350KPA) the PLVs are set to.