Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Rocket Evoluzione V2 discussion thread

TC

Rocket Evoluzione V2 discussion thread

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just what it says. The differences in Aus spec from Aus spec V1 amount to new gauges, boiler wrap and the plakky tamper has be replaced by an anodised metal one.

Re: Rocket Evoluzione V2 discussion thread

Has it arrived Chris?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7C77797C6B7272671E0 link=1339038380/1#1 date=1339039149
    Has it arrived Chris?
    Yes BeanBay,

We shipped our first one on tuesday. We also have one on the bench. FWIW, I dont like the look of gauges as much as the old ones, but I guess they had to change now that there are two in the Plus V2. All personal preference though... ;)

I am the person that the first evo 2 was shipped out to.
    I will let you know how it goes. Be kind though as this is my first machine and I am a total noob.
    Chris you should be relaxing and not thinking about coffee!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 47414F4B5E494B2C0 link=1339038380/3#3 date=1339059483
    I am the person that the first evo 2 was shipped out to.
    I will let you know how it goes.* Be kind though as this is my first machine and I am a total noob.
    Chris you should be relaxing and not thinking about coffee!
    How could I not think about coffee kmcgreg! ;D

Have a look at www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm while you wait for it arrive...

Enjoy...

C

Wonder if the boiler wrap effects the heat produced for the cup warming area?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4342141C1217250 link=1339038380/5#5 date=1339197336
    Wonder if the boiler wrap effects the heat produced for the cup warming area?
    It cannot help but...

I wonder if the reason for this might be that buyers percieve that its a plus. I really dont believe that it would save megabucks per year- Its only about items on buyer checklists IMHO.

Here is a photo of my Evo 2, really pleased with the results* :), I am new to the Snobs world, but love a great brew,* pulled some great shots, as well as some shockers, the tamper appears to be alloy,
    Cheers, GB

oh wow that looks sexy I had a laugh

did the tamper and tamp stand come with the giotto evo?

Lemo, no the tamp and stand was extra, hardly got to apply any pressure at all, weights a tonne :) attached photo is the tamp that comes with the machine, quite nice, and also works well,

I gotto say that the step-up from plastic is great for a tamper. I always thought that why pay x amount of dollars only to be confronted with a bit of plastic.

Hi all,* thanks fellow CS members for all the advice.
    Thanks Chris from TalkCoffee for getting me into such great gear that arrived today in perfect shape.

I am a total noob but after a few disasters, I managed to dial in the grinder to roughly where it is giving me a great expresso.
    I will ask some really dumb questions elsewhere.* Suffice to say that I love it but have a lot to learn.

Congratulations but your kettle looks a bit lonely on the side ;)

looks very nice in that kitchen

GMG
    kmcgreg, I'm curious now that you've had the Evo V2 how you're finding it. I'm thinking about upgrading and have narrowed it down to this machine, so would love any feedback!

In short....I love it. I have been making the best coffee I have tasted. It is simple to use and maintain and I had great support from Chris at talk coffee. It is more than enough for any domestic use. It is also quiet which is a bonus in my open plan kitchen/living room. It also looks great. Plenty of grunt in the steam department for frothing milk.
    I would match it with a decent grinder. I have a macap m4d. I am no expert but am a true coffee snob and love what's in the cup out of this machine. Ask others on here and the sponsors. You won't be disappointed.

Looks great and I love the photo of it in your kitchen.

Congrats with the new machine, and good on you for punching out great tasting coffees already. You cant go wrong with TC's beans (i'm assuming that's what you're using).

I do agree with the comment above in relation to the gauges. I did like the look of the cream colour.

Hey guys,

New quick vid, may be of some help for those new to the Giotto club

Rocket Espresso Giotto - VST puck - YouTube

i always love the extensive collection of specially sized cloths for cleaning hahaha

I had a laugh lemoo.

I have had people ask me many time where I got those! +)

where did you get them :P

Mother-in-law made them for me.

Should market them 'Barista drip-tray saver' 12.95 plus postage

GMG

Noyce!

Quote Originally Posted by kmcgreg View Post
    In short....I love it. I have been making the best coffee I have tasted. It is simple to use and maintain and I had great support from Chris at talk coffee. It is more than enough for any domestic use. It is also quiet which is a bonus in my open plan kitchen/living room. It also looks great. Plenty of grunt in the steam department for frothing milk.
    I would match it with a decent grinder. I have a macap m4d. I am no expert but am a true coffee snob and love what's in the cup out of this machine. Ask others on here and the sponsors. You won't be disappointed.
    Glad to hear that it's working well for you. Looks like a great machine. I understand that the rotary is quieter than the vibe pump, but haven't had a chance to compare them. With our open-plan kitchen that could be a factor.

TC
    Just a quick heads up to point those interested in this machine to our sponsor post this evening.

Cheers

Chris
    DaveD likes this.

The best roast I've tasted - YouTube

Chris should get a kick out of this.

TC
    Nice smoking jacket Chris- Where's the cravat?

Much appreciated on the coffee. Glad you're enjoying it!

Chris

Ill putting another order in soon so many guests this weekend I was whipping coffees out one after another. Really is an amazing coffee. I have had many different roasts golden beans etc. and this one really stands out for me. I'm surprised it doesn't have awards etc.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheCup View Post
    Ill putting another order in soon so many guests this weekend I was whipping coffees out one after another. Really is an amazing coffee. I have had many different roasts golden beans etc. and this one really stands out for me. I'm surprised it doesn't have awards etc.
    It's just that I'm not competitive Chris.

I like it (and our other blends too). If others like it, that's more than enough recognition for me. I'm humbled to have positive feedback.

C

Hi all,

I've just moved back from Singapore, the proud owner of a new Rocket Evoluzione V2. I've set up my place, unpacked it out of the box, and set it up - and there a major problem. The extraction handle is already pressing in the microswitch. So from the moment I turn on the machine, the pump starts (at a perfect 9.5bar pump pressure all the time), and the water only pumps out when I lift the extraction handle fully.

Is there something I can do to the microswitch so that it doesn't stick out as much, and that it only engages when the extraction handle is fully engaged, as it's meant to me? I've tugged the whole group head away from the body of the machine, and it seems as though it's about 1mm too close to the body, hence the automatic engagement.

Cheers,

Conno

TC
    That's actually a very minor problem conno and it's definitely not solved by attempting to bend the entire group of the machine away from the microswitch. Good thing you didn't have a sledge hammer!

What needs to happen is that the microswitch needs to be adjusted within the body of the machine so that it is a mm or 2 further back. It's a simple 5 minute job.

Quote Originally Posted by conno View Post
    So from the moment I turn on the machine, the pump starts (at a perfect 9.5bar pump pressure all the time), and the water only pumps out when I lift the extraction handle fully.
    Hi Conno,
    You say you just bought the machine and set it up, as soon as you turn the machine on the pump starts, but water only pumps out (the group head I'm guessing) when you lift the handle fully.

Have to ask the potentially silly question - but as you only just bought and set it up, are you sure the handle is pressing the microswitch - or is the pump filling up an empty boiler? I ask because you said "water only pumps out when I lift the extraction handle fully"

If water only comes out when the handle is lifted, but the pump is activating when you turn you brand new, never before used machine on, it may just be filling the boiler. Try turning it on and leave it on, the pump will stop after about a minute or 2 when the boiler is full.

Hi all,

Time to upgrade from the included tamper, just wondering what size is best for the rocket baskets? Straight 58mm, 58 point something? Thought my routine was pretty good, but after getting a naked pf, I've noticed it's not always perfect. The included tamper is pretty loose, so I figure it's a problem.

Don't really care about price. Suggestions/advice appreciated.

Cheers

Hello.
    I have my heart and soul set on this Rocket Evoluzione V2, it looks absolutely gorgeous. Every spare moment on the internet, I seem to find myself looking at this machine. I had a laugh....
    Just wondering for your thoughts - I currently have the Breville Dual Boiler, do you think, other than appearance and quality internals, will I experience a far superior coffee.
    There is obviously a massive price difference, you get what you pay for, but thinking it may be still hard to beat the bang for buck and performance of my Breville Dual Boiler.

Any feedback on this is highly appreciated. I am on my life long coffee journey :-)

Thanks all in advance

Hey Mads,

I personally own the Rocket Evo v2 (and love it), and have used the Breville a few times at mates' places.
    As I've never sat down side by side with the two machines and tested, let alone ensuring to use the same grinder, beans, milk, barista etc, I couldn't possibly tell you if one makes better coffee than the other. I've been impressed by both.

However, since owning my Rocket (upgraded from a Sunbeam 6910 - pre-Breville DB days), I can say that I make far better coffee, a combination of better machine and needing to pay attention to use it. No buttons, all manual, and how the coffee comes out in the end is entirely my own fault.

In my opinion, don't upgrade from the Breville to the Rocket if you're only doing it for a potentially better coffee, as I've had brilliant coffees from both machines.
    Upgrade to the Rocket if you're doing it for love, of how the machine looks and feels.

I love the hell out of mine; but I'd be lying if I said that I can tell it makes better coffee than my friends with the Breville.

Good luck,
    M

Msydes thanks for your post above - it's exactly what I was looking for because I've been trying to find out if there was a marked difference between a shot from the Breville BES920 and a shot from the Rocket. The Breville seems to give pretty good bang for your buck, although it doesn't look as pretty as the Rocket.

Hey all,
    just picked up an Evo v2 yesterday, (thanks Chris)
    wow, i impressed with this machine! It's a quality build, pulls nice shots and I am sure I have not hit the sweet spot yet.
    the rotary pump is quiet and nice dry steam for milk. The ability to make a few drinks consistently back to back is fantastic compared to surfing the Silvia.
    looking forward to the weekend when I can spend some quality time together, experiment and nail some espresso!
    TC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentski1 View Post
    Hey all,
    just picked up an Evo v2 yesterday, (thanks Chris)
    wow, i impressed with this machine! It's a quality build, pulls nice shots and I am sure I have not hit the sweet spot yet.
    the rotary pump is quiet and nice dry steam for milk. The ability to make a few drinks consistently back to back is fantastic compared to surfing the Silvia.
    looking forward to the weekend when I can spend some quality time together, experiment and nail some espresso!
    -----------

Congratulations, very exciting. Fantastic purchase, or should I say investment :-)
    I have been using my Rocket Evo every day over the past few months and absolutely love it. Highly recommend. The quality of coffee is superb, whilst looks exceptional, true show piece. Best decision every made by upgrading, havent looked back.
    Trentski1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mads View Post
    -----------

Congratulations, very exciting. Fantastic purchase, or should I say investment :-)
    I have been using my Rocket Evo every day over the past few months and absolutely love it. Highly recommend. The quality of coffee is superb, whilst looks exceptional, true show piece. Best decision every made by upgrading, havent looked back.
    Hi Gents

It's been a while since my last post ... but I have recently acquired a Giotto Evo 2 myself. Mine was an upgrade from a 9 year old Sylvia and boy is the Rocket awesome! I got a Rocket bottomless PF for it and it comes with a triple basket which is the only one I use now. The machine is a joy to use and I love not having to wait to get up to steam pressure and then wait again to brew another couple of cups when I'm making 3 or more cups. The steam wand on the Rocket is fantastic too. And as for the shots, I can now safely drink all of the espressos that I make compared to the hit and miss I was getting with Sylvia. I almost bought an ECM Technika, but a couple of things about it didn't sit well with me. I'm glad I got the Rocket, it'll have a home in my kitchen for a long time.

Good choice!
    i have had mine now for a couple of months and I use it everyday. It's just a fantastic machine, it's on a surge proof timer and when I come down the stairs in the morning and see the little green glow of the switch light, it makes me feel good!
    am now having a little trouble buying coffee that stacks up when out and about.... He he

My Sunbeam died just over 12 months ago and I've been living off of pour over at home for over a year now.
    Finally ordered the Evo earlier this week.

The wait is killing me!
    gonzo89 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rustla View Post
    My Sunbeam died just over 12 months ago and I've been living off of pour over at home for over a year now.
    Finally ordered the Evo earlier this week.

The wait is killing me!
    Still pushing the refresh key on the courier tracking, the suspense is killing me.
    Not all bad though, gives me time to read up on technique.

Still pushing the refresh key on the courier tracking, the suspense is killing me.
    It's here!
    7 hours left of work, though I feel I may be coming down with something and may need to head home sick ;-)
    TC and gonzo89 like this.

It's here!
    7 hours left of work, though I feel I may be coming down with something and may need to head home sick ;-)
    That is hilarious rustla! It sounds just like something I would be guilty of doing, or let's face it, have done. Nothing wrong with a beautiful pour over but yes if if I was in your shoes this is exactly how I would be acting. I would have gone mad. Enjoy the Rocket. They're a beauty in every way.

Well it wouldn't be Australia's first case of Evo-la !!!!
    rustla and gonzo89 like this.

I unboxed it at the office so the guys could see what the fuss was about, it comes with a cover, which I had to put on, we all kept getting too distracted.
    Should have brought a grinder in today!
    gonzo89 likes this.

Promise, it could be worse. Chris only sent mine 200k's up the Hume to me but the couriers still managed to destroy it. Chris was great with it, no worries there. From memory I took the damaged unit and did a 5 minute dump & pick up on a Sunday morning...............be patient grasshopper :-)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mono View Post
    Promise, it could be worse. Chris only sent mine 200k's up the Hume to me but the couriers still managed to destroy it. Chris was great with it, no worries there. From memory I took the damaged unit and did a 5 minute dump & pick up on a Sunday morning...............be patient grasshopper :-)

Steve
    That was my concern, which is why I unboxed it, who knows the damage that could come from travelling Melbourne to Perth!

Chris did a great job, it arrived in one piece, only a few more hours now too!
    TC likes this.

Grinder's dialled in pretty well, the shots are great and will get much better with practice.
    Chris' beans are pretty awesome.

I see many espresso shots until I suss out the steam wand.
    Way more power than I'm used to.

If anyone's got any tips, advice on full throttle vs nanna steam, I'm all ears!

If anyone's got any tips, advice on full throttle vs nanna steam, I'm all ears!
    If you look up Koffee Kosmo's steaming method here on CS you may find that very useful when making the transition to 'full throttle' Then you can tweak your technique/s later on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast