Thread: How to steam small amount of milk on Giotto?

How to steam small amount of milk on Giotto?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Finally found the time to setup my new Evo on Friday. (From Talk_Coffee - thanks Chris).
    Needless to say, it is a worthy replacement for my long serving Silvia.
    The only (and not unexpected) teething problem is steaming small quantities of milk ie less than 100ml.

Ive been researching this for a long time (in preparation) and, so far, none of the techniques really produces the desired result. Best result so far is the method suggested by InTheCup and others. Sit the jug on the drip tray and steam wand just above the surface.

Most of the time however the milk just gets overheated in a few seconds.

I had this nailed on the Silvia but expected the extra steam would be a problem. Im using a 300ml jug.

Any suggestions that I might not have heard before?

Thanks.

Re: How to steam small amount of milk on Giotto?

try putting the milk jug in the fridge before hand to prolong steaming times

may or may not help

Try incorporating more air at the beginning. Same technique (KK) but if youre not getting the texture raise the tip 0.5mm higher at the start.

get a new tip with less holes

Quote Originally Posted by 292E2A292E2A292E2A252E394B0 link=1339384482/3#3 date=1339406694
    get a new tip with less holes
    Yep, you can get a single hole tip on eBay and maybe elsewhere that should solve the problem.

havent had any problems texturing 300ml, 500ml or 1 L jugs for that matter. comes down to technique and practice.
    In the video below I textured milk in a 500ml jug but the amount of milk is for 1 latte only. Im using the standard two holes steam tip on the ECM Giotto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzJ_9lKQtw

Thanks for your suggestions. I assumed that it would just be technique and practice.

I "cheated" this morning and just steamed twice as much milk as I needed to get an acceptable result.

My wife uses bigger latte cups than me so she thinks the new Rocket steams just fine.* :( (And shes enjoying getting runs on the board before me.)

or make enough for 2 cups and drink 1 cup of the milk I had a laugh

i love perfectly steamed milk on its own. nice sweet textured milk..just like a warm milkshake I had a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by 363F3735355A0 link=1339384482/7#7 date=1339460388
    i love perfectly steamed milk on its own
    Good calcium for our bones, as well.* :)

Quote Originally Posted by 2130243D6568510 link=1339384482/6#6 date=1339459848
    My wife uses bigger latte cups than me so she thinks the new Rocket steams just fine.* :( (And shes enjoying getting runs on the board before me.)
    I wouldnt take that mate, Id be practicing around the clock! Get a few 3ltr bottles of milk and dont give in! Were supporting you here mate!

-Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by 6C7C6B606A61697D0E0 link=1339384482/9#9 date=1339469746
    Get a few 3ltr bottles of milk and dont give in!
    Dont worry, Brendon, I never give in.

Its very amusing, actually. She always laughed at me over the amount of effort I put in with the Silvia, where shed just grind, tamp and pour (not that theres anything wrong with that approach if it works for you).

This morning, she had her back towards me and I quietly looked over her shoulder and she was carefully grinding and dosing. So Im definitely not going to discourage her. (Even while shes temporarily winning the local barista championships* ;) )

Good job mate,

Never would I let my girlfriend make a better cup then me :)

Im far too competitive for my own good haha!

Shes the barista at her parents cafe and I still have to practice to make sure Im producing something amazing 8-)

-Brendon

Hey Paul,

Easiest way is to just not open up the steam tap fully.

As you use the machine more you will develop a feel for it. Just open up the tap until the sound of the milk stops screeching and not so much that it turns into a mass of bubbles.

But nevertheless gives me a idea for a new vid this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 747F657E647B7970170 link=1339384482/12#12 date=1339498795
    Easiest way is to just not open up the steam tap fully
    Thanks InTheCup,

Ive read opinions for and against that but I gave it a try and I got a nice thick cappuccino. So were on the road to success. Still got hot quickly though. Just need lots of practice.

I noticed that you said in one of your videos that you use temperature tabs on your jugs. Do they respond quickly enough to be useful?

Looking forward to your next video. :)

i use temp tags as well and I think they are awesome

they respond much quicker than the steel temp probe thermometers you usually find

Take off the steam tip and thread a thin piece of copper wire through the holes to reduce the amount of steam coming through. Tidy as is necessary. Put tip back on.

I routinely steam only enough milk for one mini-latte (90 ml cup and made with a doppio ristretto) with my commercial lever. The Izzo has levers for the steam too, so it is either off or on, there is no half way.

Greg

Thanks Greg and lemoo,

Ill buy some temp tabs in that case.

I was going to leave the wire through the tip as a last resort, Greg. Is it intended just as a learning aid or do you use it yourself for small quantities of milk?

I got a much better result this morning so Ill keep persisting. Thanks to all for your help.

I put the wire in after two or three goes with full pressure sprayed milk all over the kitchen. It hasnt come out, so I use it for all milk quantities. Because I only make doubles (the single is put away--somewhere :-/) I never steam more than 150 ml at once. This fills my big mugs. As I said, my normal steam is 50 ml or so, just enough to top up a 90 ml cup that already has 25 ml of ristretto in it.

This is also not the first machine Ive treated like this. I do enjoy having more than 5 or 6 seconds to steam the milk--the wire pushes the time up to close to 10 seconds!

I wound the wire pretty tight and then tapped the bottom of the tip with a bit of wood to flatten it against the stainless, then pulled it finally tight inside the tip with a pair of thin-nose pliers. Its invisible unless you get below and look up, and the whole nozzle still wipes clean easily.

Greg