Thread: Moving to Extreme - any suggestions welcome

Moving to Extreme - any suggestions welcome

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK, so Ive fiddled, nursed, repaired, sworn at and occasionally been surprised by an Em6910 for several years but I can take it no more! So its upgrade time. The funds are available (just) and Im looking at a big step and was hoping the collective wisdom would throw a bit of advice my way ...

After much reading Ive been gravitating towards an Alex Duetto II (the latest one with the nice knobs ;)). My plan is to head down the range (I live in Toowoomba) next week and try the thing out in person and hopefully compare with at least one, hopefully two machines of a similar ilk. From the sponsors list it seems Coffee Roasters Australia is the place to head for. I plan on ringing them and making an appointment to check things out and if all goes well walk out the door with a 35kg box under my arm!

BUT, Im a pretty cautious shopper when spending up big, so I was wondering if any fellow snobs have any suggestions of where else I might go, probably in Brisbane?

Just to check Im thinking straight, Im moving toward the Duetto II because:
    - I like the excellent temp control with the double boilers and PIDs
    - I like the E61 group (but am a little concerned about the spout clearance on the Duetto II)
    - I like the nice, quiet rotary pump with the option of plumbing in when (if) ready to go that way
    - I tend to make mostly flat whites and so good micro-foam is important
    - I like the solid build and shiny SS!
    - I dont want another over-grown appliance ( I have had a placy with the Breville double-boiler)

I could go on, but this post is getting long and boring.

As a final note, I will have to live with the Smart Grinder for about another year and this is (I understand) a bit of sad thing to compromise on, but I cant stand steaming with the 6910 anymore.

So, any words of warning, comfort ,whatever???

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Re: Moving to Extreme - any suggestions welcome

Pete,
    When you visit Mark at CRA, ask him to showcase the Bosco Sorrento Lever he has. Though his display unit is a 2 group, it is available in a one group.
    Just more variables for you to consider.
    Good luck with your choice of a new shiny toy.

Expobar Minore also fits into your check point list

Quote Originally Posted by 5552474845260 link=1340074463/1#1 date=1340074993
    When you visit Mark at CRA, ask him to showcase the Bosco Sorrento Lever he has. Though his display unit is a 2 group, it is available in a one group.
    Just more variables for you to consider.
    Good luck with your choice of a new shiny toy.
    Ahhh - Do you know how long it has taken me to narrow things down* ::) - just kidding, thanks for the advice, Ill have a drool. Have wondered about Levers but dont think theyre for me at the moment (but maybe in a few years ...)

Quote Originally Posted by 65494A4F487971260 link=1340074463/2#2 date=1340076962
    Expobar Minore also fits into your check point list
    Thanks Ronin - was hoping someone would bring that up. Am hoping to try one of those too. Anybody got any preference between the two (other than looks)?

Take some coffee beans with you. At least 500g of an espresso blend that you are familiar with, so you can compare the taste from one machine to another. Mind you it is dangerous as you might like the taste from the Bosco better ;)

I bought an Alec Duetto off Mark @ Coffee Roasters Australia. He is a great bloke to deal with. It is a fantastic machine and suits be very well.. I have a K3T as my grinder.

Cant speak for the other machines you may get to review, but I can assure the Alex is a very nice piece of kit. As for spout clearance I am using very nice tulip cups for Flat whites and they make a very nice coffee. Fit under the portafilter without modification.

My thoughts are that I appreicate a perfect smaller cup than an average large cup of coffee. I have larger cappuccino cups if I decide to have a double which have no problems fitting under there. Its just the mugs or larger cups which dont fit. Not a major problem IMO.

Gra

Hi Pete

I have owened a Expobar Minore and now have the Alex Duetto both machines purchased from Mark @ Coffee roasters Australia .

Theses machines pull great coffee :P the reason that I changed was that I wanted to go rotary and plumb the unit in, Sick of filling tanks and emptying water trays.

I find that the Alex is great for having both boilers being controlled by the pid makes life easy if you like to play around with different temp settings ....

You cant go wrong with ether machine and I am sure that a Mark will look after you as he has me... :)

Cheers Gra..

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 4740555A57340 link=1340074463/4#4 date=1340080842
    Take some coffee beans with you. At least 500g of an espresso blend that you are familiar with, so you can compare the taste from one machine to another. Mind you it is dangerous as you might like the taste from the Bosco better
    Yeah, Id better get roasting, might even have to buy some browns (havent done that for almost two years!)

Quote Originally Posted by 777571787678617105340 link=1340074463/5#5 date=1340085791
    My thoughts are that I appreicate a perfect smaller cup than an average large cup of coffee.* I have larger cappuccino cups if I decide to have a double which have no problems fitting under there.* Its just the mugs or larger cups which dont fit.* Not a major problem IMO.
    Same here, but some of our visitors much prefer to have the larger capp. cups and it looked like things might get a bit cramped. On a day-to-day basis my wife and I have small flat whites (ACF cups that hold about 120mL I think) so sounds like all should be fine. Good to know the larger cups fo

woops, hit post half way through ...

as I was saying, Good to know the larger cups fit though.

Quote Originally Posted by 6D584B2A0 link=1340074463/6#6 date=1340086692
    You cant go wrong with ether machine and I am sure that a Mark will look after you as he has me...
    Thanks - nice to hear from someone who has had both.

Quote Originally Posted by 595E4B44492A0 link=1340074463/4#4 date=1340080842
    Mind you it is dangerous as you might like the taste from the Bosco better
    AND they look so cool! BUT, NOT THIS TIME!! REALLY. NO MATTER HOW EXCITED I GET WHEN IM THERE ;D

The only other machine that looks good on paper is the Rocket R58 dual boiler:
    http://talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-rocket-r58.php

But im not sure if it is available in Australia yet.

Correct me if im wrong but I didnt think that the Minore IV came with a rotary pump.* If the rotary pump is not important then you can also consider the Diadema Junior Extra dual boiler PID, or the cheaper Giove II (and buy a grinder at the same time! :P )

Lots of options!* Have fun selecting your shiny new toy! :)

Quote Originally Posted by 4D6173757461000 link=1340074463/9#9 date=1340159161
    Correct me if im wrong but I didnt think that the Minore IV came with a rotary pump.
    The Minore IV is available with the rotary pump as an option.
    Although adding that option adds about $600 more.
    Almost in Alex Duetto price range.
    IMO id pay the extra and get the Alex :)

Quote Originally Posted by 667A677C7677607B7C754D757760797B7C61120 link=1340074463/10#10 date=1340181453
    Quote Originally Posted by 4D6173757461000 link=1340074463/9#9 date=1340159161
    Correct me if im wrong but I didnt think that the Minore IV came with a rotary pump.
    The Minore IV is available with the rotary pump as an option.
    Although adding that option adds about $600 more.
    Almost in Alex Duetto price range.
    IMO id pay the extra and get the Alex :)
    Not sure the differences between the Minore and Alex. Both have E61 groups, dual boilers and the same PID.
    I think boiler size is different tho, perhaps someone can point out the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by 032F2C292E1F17400 link=1340074463/11#11 date=1340182981
    Not sure the differences between the Minore and Alex. Both have E61 groups, dual boilers and the same PID.I think boiler size is different tho, perhaps someone can point out the differences.
    If you have the rotary pump option with the Minore it has to be plumbed in. the pump takes the place of the water reservoir.
    The Alex Duetto has the option of either with a flick of a valve.
    The fit and finish is better with the Alex.
    PID on both boilers with the alex.
    Although PID on the steam boiler may be overkill some think.
    I think their both great machines, but for me, i like the Alex.

I have tried both quite a bit and i always feel the Alex is a notch above the minore.* But you get what you pay for and theyre both great. Anyway pete says his budget already covers the alex - so go fo it.*

Well be hearing raves from you shortly no doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by 4B574A515B5A4D56515860585A4D5456514C3F0 link=1340074463/12#12 date=1340185122
    If you have the rotary pump option with the Minore it has to be plumbed in. the pump takes the place of the water reservoir.
    The Alex Duetto has the option of either with a flick of a valve.
    The fit and finish is better with the Alex.
    PID on both boilers with the alex.
    Although PID on the steam boiler may be overkill some think.
    I think their both great machines, but for me, i like the Alex.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Quote Originally Posted by 4B5B4C5D5D5B4C484B50290 link=1340074463/13#13 date=1340222391
    Well be hearing raves from you shortly no doubt....
    Will hopefully be happening next week. I will definitely let everyone know how I go.

Am working on the water filter question. Looking like a Bombora something is the way to go. Cant plumb in at this stage (will be moving house soon) but have seen something that sits on the bench for around $100. Sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by 784D5C4D1B11280 link=1340074463/14#14 date=1340252527
    something that sits on the bench for around $100. Sound about right?
    Thats about what I paid for my benchtop filter, its an Everpure with the three stage sediment/chemical/IX resin filter in it.

I get my Alex duetto from Coffee roaster Australia tommorrow ;D ;D ;D

Youll love it with a naked portifilter then space under the group is fine only the biggest mugs wont fit.

The Duetto makes producing great coffee easy and so much fun. It is a pleasure to use once plumbed in a bit of a pain filling the tank but at least you have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by 363E2E392B2F28392E5C0 link=1340074463/15#15 date=1340255504
    Thats about what I paid for my benchtop filter, its an Everpure with the three stage sediment/chemical/IX resin filter in it.
    Thanks. Sounds like Im on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by 3E353B3E293030255C0 link=1340074463/16#16 date=1340281333
    I get my Alex duetto from Coffee roaster Australia tommorrow** *
    Exciting! Does it have the new knobs??

Quote Originally Posted by 16333233030B35303031392E5C0 link=1340074463/17#17 date=1340325329
    Youll love it with a naked portifilter then space under the group is fine only the biggest mugs wont fit.
    Im planning on getting a naked PF while Im there. Thanks for the tip.

Rang CRA today. All teed up for next Thursday. Sounds like a long time to wait :(

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 13263726707A430 link=1340074463/18#18 date=1340347903
    Exciting! Does it have the new knobs??
    Please note that there has been no redesign of knobs. A US importer fits his own knobs. Others around the world have plagiarised his graphics.

Thanks for the info Chris.

I bought an Alex about 6 months ago and absolutely love it! It makes great coffee and is very well built . You wont be disappointed .I use a naked pf and so have no issue with cup size
    I also bought a C150 Brita filter from Bombora which I plumbed into the fridge line and we use it for all our water now - this works well as we are renting and cant plumb the alex in
    Enjoy it!

hey pete,

when you go to coffee roaster australia make sure you swing by and say hi to richard from caffe silipo great coffee, great service and most of all great beans. his also one of the sponcer and only just around the corner.

louis :D :D :D

Hi All,

Just to let everyone know I am now the proud owner of an Alex Duetto Mk III ;D Thanks again for everyones input, and especially Mark at Coffee Roasters Aust. Looks like Chris (or someone) at Talk_Coffee has set the machine up, so thanks to them as well. Have pulled a few shots and after following Marks advice and a bit of experimenting things are going well. Still getting used to the steam wand - another world that cant be compared with the old 6910!

Unfortunately due to other commitments Ill be away from the machine and off-line for the next week-or-so. I will post photos etc as soon as I can.

Thanks again to all.

Pete

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 714455441218210 link=1340074463/23#23 date=1340961743
    Hi All,

Just to let everyone know I am now the proud owner of an Alex Duetto Mk III ;D Thanks again for everyones input, and especially Mark at Coffee Roasters Aust. Looks like Chris (or someone) at Talk_Coffee has set the machine up, so thanks to them as well. Have pulled a few shots and after following Marks advice and a bit of experimenting things are going well. Still getting used to the steam wand - another world that cant be compared with the old 6910!

Unfortunately due to other commitments Ill be away from the machine and off-line for the next week-or-so. I will post photos etc as soon as I can.

Thanks again to all.

Pete
    Congrats Pete,

You are correct. Every Aussie Alex Duetto visits out test bench before it is shipped. Its all about making sure you get the best performance possible from your machine. Interstate dealers generally double check to ensure that the machine has transited safely from us to them.

I hope you gain much pleasure from your new machine!

Chris

Well, I'm getting to know the new toy and am loving it. Shots coming along nicely, can get reasonable milk most of the time. Was stuck in a rut for a while until I worked out you really do need a reasonable depth of milk in the jug, then things get much easier. Still seems bizarre to steam milk in seconds as opposed to minutes with the 6910. So nice when I get it right! Can see with a bit more practice it will be a doddle.

Thanks again for everyone's help - much appreciated. Will now move over to the official Alex Duetto thread!

Pete

PS before and after pics attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Pete,
    what's with the hopper cover on the BSG?

Wink

Secret Beans ...

Just kidding - get a lot of sunlight in the mornings. Not direct, but quite bright. I put fresh beans in the morning, enough for breakfast and morning-tea later, so am trying to keep things as fresh as possible. Dunno if it makes any difference.

Pete

So, ...how long until you go for a grinder upgrade !

Great thread Pete - I'm looking at taking the same path from 6910 to Duetto, but seeing if I can hold out long enough for the new R58.

I'm heading down the path of Duetto as well [from an Isomac Venus]. Great to hear it's been everything you've hoped for.

Does anybody import /retail the Quick Mill dual boiler ( QM67), or the Expobar Leva PID dual boiler ( Brewtus?) ?
    The Expobar in particular sell for 35% less than the Duetto in Europe.
    Last edited by blend52; 21st July 2012 at 12:29 PM.