Thread: LM Linea Rebuild

LM Linea Rebuild

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All

I thought some of you might be interested in this , Iv just started on a full rebuild of a customers 3 group low cup linea.
    Ill post up some pics as I go but heres the start.

Covers Off

Pipework out

Group boiler out and split

Groups stripped , Holy scale batman

Holy scale indeed!!! Can't wait to see the progress

Awesome photos - I'm so keen to see more, keep them coming!
    I'll be watching this thread!

Not stainless bolts in the group assy's then ?

Nope, being replaced when rebuilt though.

nzcoffeetech how old is that Linea? Can't wait to see it come back to life

Im not too sure , im guessing a reasonable age judging from the look of it, the frame is away being modified so ill check when it comes back , hoping to have the piping and boilers back from sonic cleaning early next week so will update when I start to rebuild.

I learn so much from watching you guys doing these restorations. Keep coming with these nice photos.

Update , got the boilers and pipework back from cleaning today so started putting it back together.

Nice clean frame.

Freshly cleaned and descaled boilers

Boilers bolted in on modified mountiing points to give slightly more cup height.

Getting there , new terminal blocks.
    Just waiting on group manifold gaskets then they can go on and be plumbed.

Thermostats , valves , steam taps , switches ect. are all new. Only reusing solenoid valves as they are still good condition.

Hot Water outlet has been relocated between groups 2 & 3 as the customer didn't like it so close to the R/H wand.

Lovely detailed work. Are you planning on fitting a PID or keeping the thermostat?

correct me if I'm wrong but PID for all boilers and line pressure to the groups for manual soft infusion?

Its all staying as it was , so just traditional thermostat. The customer had a limited budget so we had to keep it to a minimum.
    However to make it look basically new everything external , ie. switches , taps , manometer ect is new.

Quote Originally Posted by askthecoffeeguy View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but PID for all boilers and line pressure to the groups for manual soft infusion?
    Not on a Linea , The Strada has this as it requires individual boilers for each group.

Fair enough. As long as the probe is squeaky clean and you can set it accurately, they work really well. I saw a great thing the other week, which was to replace the DPST rocker switch with two separate single pole rocker switches (in the same housing) to independently switch the pump and solenoid. Simple, but a very effective Linea mod. Or, any other semi-auto solenoid group machine for that matter.
    Last edited by coffee_machinist; 18th August 2012 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rick_bond View Post
    Fair enough. As long as the probe is squeaky clean and you can set it accurately, they work really well. I saw a great thing the other week, which was to replace the DPST rocker switch with two separate single pole rocker switches (in the same housing) to independently switch the pump and solenoid. Simple, but a very effective Linea mod. Or, any other semi-auto solenoid group machine for that matter.
    Thermostat is brand new with lots of heat transfer paste and the housing is clean as a whistle.

That mod would be great on a single group machine but multiple groups could get difficult to manage and make it a pointless exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by nzcoffeetech View Post
    difficult to manage and make it a pointless exercise
    How so? Pretty much functions the same as a multi-group MP. It also doesn't affect the touchpads, just gives the barista the option of variable pre-infusion time on the manual button, if they want it. If not, treat it as one switch.

If one group is a few seconds behind the other , as soon as you start the pump for the first group , pressure in the second group will raise to 9 bar ( or whatever the pump pressure may be ) so would have a shorter pre infusion time.
    Hence my point of having to manage the shots carefully or it becomes pointless.

Here's a picture of a remarkably simple and effective line pressure to pump switch on my 2AV. Not to mention a reflection of my flannelette shirt
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you're wanting the machine to appear 100% new on the outside and the stainless panels are showing signs of scuffing and scratching, you might want to look at getting a linisher to refinish the stainless panels.
    We've been using one for a while now, and while it can't restore the panel finish to the original high polish, it can produce a nice grained finish and eliminate scuffs and shallow scratches, and the grained finish often looks nicer than the original highly polished finish. We've done a few Linea and FB70 rebuilds recently, and the finished product can actually look nicer than a brand new Linea straight out of the box.

I haven't got a pic handy, but the image of the S gives an idea - linishing produces the grained appearance on the vertical faces of the S, rather than the polished upper surface.

Almost back together , I would have liked to have done more but the customers budget was well blown as it was.

New anti suction steam wands.

And finally making coffee again.

Ah I didn't realise it was an EE! Love how you've plumbed in the steam anti-vac lines, very neat.

You might want to check the connections on the brew thermal cutout, from memory the switched connection is across the long side. But it's obviously heating, so there you go.

Yeah they are wired correct , that pic is before I made up some new wires to go to the element.
    The new wand kits come with the hose, t pieces , cable ties and stick on mounts so very easy to make it neat.