Thread: What to do with Faema Smart Due

What to do with Faema Smart Due

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,
    like stumbled across this forum researching information about a coffee machine I purchased at Auction. Firstly let me explain that I am not by any means a coffee expert, I do have a Barista friend who tell me I have got a bargain though.

The machine is a Faema Smart Almost identicle to the one pictured in this link: can't post link due to being new member. But I believe it to be due A2 from Faema website.

Despite it missing a couple of the knobs and the portafilters, I am told the machine was in good working order. It has a 20amp plug.

Question is, what do I do with this machine? I am contemplating the idea of making coffee for charity fundraising such as Fetes at my sons school/scout group etc, Perhaps even a stand at my small town markets, but Is this machine suitable for portable stands considering its power requirments?

Otherwise I will need to sell or swap for something suitable for what I have mentioned.

I'm sure it can be fixed if needed.

What I would do is post some pics so others can better understand the situation. I guess no one will really know what the situation is with it untill it's serviced or repaired. There might be something else wrong with it but lets hope not.

Also 20amp plug - the weather proof industrial ones? Also any service place such as jetblack or any others can get you a suitable portafilter and baskets.

It's what I'd do.

I have been reading a post in Extreme Machines about my machine, although mine seems newer with stainless panels etc. I will post some photos and see what everyone thinks.

Photos to follow, just need to boost my post count first.

I should also note that I have the stainless tray and mesh for the base. I just removed it to access the ID plate. Any information, advice, manauls, links to other threads on this machine greatly appreciated!

Anyone? I don't know where to start with this. Is there any way of testing this machine out on a 10amp circuit? I don't know anyone who would have 20amp outlet... Maybe 15?

Anyone who has an owners manual that they could give/sell me?

Honestly:

vendors at auction always say "....the machine was in good working order....". Dont believe a word of it. When buying at auction always buy with your eyes open, at the lowest possible price to accommodate for repairs and service.

First up, deliver the machine to a reputable professional espresso equipment repairer and ask for a quote to test and report. Many will ask you to pay a quote fee up front without which they wont book it in. This is fair as it represents payment for actual workshop time spent to test and report, where the owner may as a result decided not to proceed on the basis of that report.

After that, proceed as you wish on the basis of the advice for scope of works & costs you receive from the repairer.

Another quick word. If you propose to use the machine as advised in the first post above, you should note that virtually no one offers or has 20 amp power for you to plug into at fetes and outdoor venues. The best you could hope for is 15, if you can park yourself close enough to a building where you may find a 15 amp outlet not too far away, and that you can run a lead to. By far the easiest / most convenient way for people running outdoor activities, is to go 10 amps. If it still has the original element fitted, it may not be able to be "stepped down" in which case you would be looking for the service provider to remove the oiginal, and fit a suitable replacement.

If you plug that into a 15 amp circuit as is, you wont get any action as it will trip out the circuit breaker. Notwithstanding that an electrician would need to change the plug over first, for no benefit (because it will just trip out the circuit breaker...waste of effort).

All of this and more will be explained by your service provider.

Owner booklets tell you nothing of use so you dont need to spend any time trying to get one.....

And of course you can always look on the bright side, which would be that the service provider checks it over and gives it a clean bill of health!

Hope that helps.

Yikes, that's running awfully close to the edge, 5000/240 = 20.83A, 5000/220 = 22.73A, I'd be getting a 32A plug on that, but as Attillo notes, that kind of power is unlikely to be available at fetes and the like (actually 16/20A three-phase is possibly more likely to be available, and it appears from the nameplate that this machine has a 3-phase capable element in it), also that style of 20A plug is very uncommon and generally not recommended, the round pin weather proof ones are much better.

If you wanted to use that at an outdoor event you'd probably need to BYO genset, and that won't be cheap.

Thank you for your comprehensive response to my original post. The purchase was a semi educated, impulse buy which I may or may not regret.

I will be taking the machine, as advised, to a catering business for testing.

As it stands, the unit owes me $220. From what I gather, this is a good price considering a domestic machine can be the same price in used condition.

Your information on power confirms what I already thought.

Once I have the report back I will either proceed with repairs or offer for sale/swap for a more appropriate machine. Watch this space!

Quote Originally Posted by jbrewster View Post
    that style of 20A plug is very uncommon and generally not recommended
    I'm surprised you'd say that style of plug is uncommon - in my experience that exact plug is the single most common power plug you'll find on most commercial espresso machines, regardless of whether it is recommended or not. Probably 80-90% of the installations I do use that exact plug, because that's what is needed to fit the outlets most customers provide. Very few installations seem to end up using those screw in style IP plugs, solely because the plug and socket costs a LOT more than the more common type on that Faema. In a lot of cases high-current draw machines end up being hard-wired to a shutoff switch in an enclosure, not because it is better than a plug, but simply because it is cheaper.

Hi Beandy,
    You have a great maching there. Good quality components and parts are easy to get.
    I bought an identical machine but made in 2001. It was rusty, didn't work.
    As I am a fiddler I stripped it down. Removed loads of loose scale from the boiler, cleaned out the pipes and valves. Cleaned each component, replaced o-rings and washers. Powercoated rusty frame. It took a lot of work, far too expensive to get a tech to do it.
    The boiler has 3 elements which is why you need 20 amps. I disconnected one element and now it is a 15 amp machine. Got a qualified electrician to change the power cabel and plug.
    And now I have a great working machine almost as good as new.

I have diagrams with the parts if you need them. PM me. (I may buy it off you if you don't want it. I have to check with the boss first!)

I have a Faema Due 2 group. The Smart i think is just a newer model. I can only imagine the need for extra grunt is that yours has the cup warmer which mine does not - mine runs comfortably on a 15 amp run. Anyway I think you might do well to find a competent electrician and ask him to remove the cup warmer circuit and test to see if the machine can then, on max draw (so heater element and pump running at the same time) will draw few enough amps to run on a 15 amp circuit. Awesome coffee is to be had, but because it was running commercially (as you would expect) the pressurestat is probably set a little high and will need to be wound down so you dont spend you life flushing half a litre of water through her before use. You will still get heaps of steam pressure. Replace the groups head seals - see the sponsers - Coffeeparts (Pedro and his mum) and they are cheap. Also, in time, hire Greg Pullman's pressure gauge and set the brew pressures correctly. Dont rely on the volumetric buttons and watch for blonding etc to shut her down.

Cheers

i have the same machine only your is a auto version.

check out my page with lots of pics, if you have any questions let me know il try to help. It was a great project but i figured it would take me a few weeks or a month, and it took me over a year with breaks and regular life so its quite the project. Your machine looks almost identical to mine when i got it.

Faema Smart S Espresso machine rebuild | Stuff about things
    Attached Images Attached Images