Thread: Thoughts please

Thoughts please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, first post, so here goes...

I'm going to be getting a new machine & grinder in the near future, either this year or right after a trip to USA in Dec/Jan. Will be mainly for latte's and some espresso's, 1-2 a day normally, maybe more on weekends or with friends over. I've been a serious coffee drinker for a good few years, but after a trip to Melbourne earlier this year and visiting a bunch of good cafes I realised my local area is seriously lacking. Well I already knew it was, but I guess it tipped me over the edge to invest in a good quality home setup.

Pretty much narrowed it down to a rocket evo or plus, or a duetto. Won't have the funds for the as yet unproven r58, but I love the look.

- Looks wise I prefer the rocket machines than any other.
    - Do I need DB, well I don't need it, but I wouldn't mind either way.
    - Grinder, will depend on funds left, but probably doserless, and as good quality as possible. I'll ask that in the appropriate forum once I decide on a machine I guess.
    - Cost for machine+grinder around $4000ish.

After all the rambling, I guess what I'm mainly wondering is the difference between the rocket machines, is the evo much quieter than the plus, I assume they produce the same quality in the cup? Apart from the advantages of DB (if you need/want), is the duetto producing similar results to the rockets in the cup?

Any advice would be great, I live a couple of hours south of Brisbane, so I don't have great access to go and check out machines from here.

Cheers,

Please make sure you leave a reasonable amount for a good grinder--it is likely to make more difference to the end product that the particular machine.

Greg

Yeah planning on it. Which is probably why I am mostly looking at the rockets. Should be able to leave at least $700+ odd. Or hook up a package deal and get a little more value on the grinder that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Migoo View Post
    After all the rambling, I guess what I'm mainly wondering is the difference between the rocket machines, is the evo much quieter than the plus, I assume they produce the same quality in the cup?
    Have you heard a rotary pump and a vibratory pump on a home machine at all?
    The premium plus is definitely louder than the evo but it's not that bad. It's hard to be specific - you kinda have to hear the different pumps for yourself IMHO
    The other differences between the giottos are the extra pressure gauge and the ability to plumb in the evo - apart from that I think all of the internals are the same and I doubt anyone could
    pick any difference in quality - I certainly can't but I am definitely no expert on the tasting / evaluation side of things

I'm not sure if the v2s of the Giottos have changed that situation at all - I haven't read up on that fully
    Can't speak about the Duetto as I've never used one...
    Last edited by chonski; 9th September 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Fair enough.

As far as domestic machines go I've only heard vib pumps. So it is a little hard to compare, aside from waching youtube vids to try and get an idea, which I've done. My house is open plan, and tiled, so the sound does carry, so even a small reduction in noise for the rotary pump will be appreciated by the better half... I probably won't plumb in for now, but could come in handy down the track I guess.

Only downside is the evo leaves me less for a grinder... We'll see.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Migoo View Post
    .....After all the rambling, I guess what I'm mainly wondering is the difference between the rocket machines, is the evo much quieter than the plus, I assume they produce the same quality in the cup? Apart from the advantages of DB (if you need/want), is the duetto producing similar results to the rockets in the cup?
    Welcome Migoo,

I doubt too many have experience with all of the above machines- so here goes:
    1. A rotary pump will give you silence and the ability to plumb, but nothing other than placebo effect in the cup. Nevertheless, I love the silence of mine and I would be reluctant to go back- primarily because I never fill my machine and no shot cuts out 1/2 way. A well configured rotary pump is a lot quieter than all vibe pump machines.
    2. Any grinder you have will be noisier than a vibe pump machine
    3. For milk- little value (in the cup) in a dual boiler machine. For many espresso/lungo drinkers, it may be the same. The ability to manipulate temperature for a definitive result in the cup presupposes that the operator is at a skill level at which all other variables can largely be eliminated.
    4. Budget- Rather than spending on your machine to allow for a rotary pump, spend more on a grinder if funds get tight.

Now- given all that, your local dealer for the Alex Duetto is site sponsor Coffee Roasters Australia in Arundel (Gold Coast).

Also- we are currently doing amazing prices on the EVO if you want to join the many CS'ers who pulled the trigger on our bulk order of heavily discounted units.

Hope that helps....

Chris

Hi guys,

I'm a new member & am looking to buy a really good unit for home use & have been looking at the Expobar IV-R & more recently the Alex Duetto & EVO. I have been looking at the Ceado P7 grinders also. What sort of prices am I looking at to start he ball rolling? And, where would you recommend buying from?

Cheers Matt

TC
    Hi Matt,

We import and sell the Alex Duetto,

If you'd like to let me know where you are, I can refer you to your closest sales outlet.

If you're in Melbourne or Tas, please feel most welcome to call for pricing information.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Welcome Migoo,

I doubt too many have experience with all of the above machines- so here goes:
    1. A rotary pump will give you silence and the ability to plumb, but nothing other than placebo effect in the cup. Nevertheless, I love the silence of mine and I would be reluctant to go back- primarily because I never fill my machine and no shot cuts out 1/2 way. A well configured rotary pump is a lot quieter than all vibe pump machines.
    2. Any grinder you have will be noisier than a vibe pump machine
    3. For milk- little value (in the cup) in a dual boiler machine. For many espresso/lungo drinkers, it may be the same. The ability to manipulate temperature for a definitive result in the cup presupposes that the operator is at a skill level at which all other variables can largely be eliminated.
    4. Budget- Rather than spending on your machine to allow for a rotary pump, spend more on a grinder if funds get tight.

Now- given all that, your local dealer for the Alex Duetto is site sponsor Coffee Roasters Australia in Arundel (Gold Coast).

Also- we are currently doing amazing prices on the EVO if you want to join the many CS'ers who pulled the trigger on our bulk order of heavily discounted units.

Hope that helps....

Chris
    I notice a low rumbling sound on rotary pumps when not plumbed in anyway, so if you aren't going to plumb it in, maybe you could save your money here and put it towards a grinder.

I'm pretty sure my Fiorenzato is quieter than any vibe pump machine. I haven't done any scientific or controlled tests but it certainly seems quieter. Plus its only 4.5 secs of noise opposed to 45 secs.

For what its worth, my opinion is get the Giotto v3 (about $2700 from Talk Coffee. I can't confirm the price because it looks as though the server just went down. Do you get that problem, Chris?) then for your grinder I think either the Fiorenzato f71ek or the Mazzer mini electronic from coffe parts is about $990.