Thread: Wega Nova Junior

Wega Nova Junior

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey All, I'm new to the forum.

I'm considering buying a Wega Nova Junior, does anyone have any experience and views about this machine.

Seems there is very little info on the net about these machines. Genovese in Melb have one on display but not connected. They look very impressive and the main thing I like, 8 ounce latte glasses fit without being on an angle under the group.

I dont have specific experience with that model , but generally Wega are cheap to maintain as most parts are generic.
    They are very basic but with regular service they will give good service for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by nzcoffeetech View Post
    I dont have specific experience with that model , but generally Wega are cheap to maintain as most parts are generic.
    They are very basic but with regular service they will give good service for a very long time.
    When you say "Basic" what do you mean. This is commercial machine and I'm hoping it's better than any Prosumer/Domestic machine that's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by georged2 View Post
    When you say "Basic" what do you mean. This is commercial machine and I'm hoping it's better than any Prosumer/Domestic machine that's out there.
    That would be like assuming that a commuter bus is better than any sportscar out there. Like a commuter bus, the Wega is a basic but very solid piece of equipment built to withstand the rigors of commercial usage. A shiny/blingy prosumer domestic machine, like a sportscar, is designed to take care of very few people at a time and is often equipped with bells and whistles the commercial entities do not need or want. But for those wanting to get from A to B as nicely as possible... the prosumer machine is more than up to the task, and often a lot more fun and sexier, for most people.

TC
    I'm hoping it's better than any Prosumer/Domestic machine that's out there.
    I disagree. It's merely in a commercial case. It's like the suggestion that a truck is better than a car. In this case, this is just a larger and relatively low end HX machine.

Top end rotary pump prosumer machines are every bit as good and just as robust. The commercial does have a larger boiler- irrelevant in domestic applications.

There are Prosumer/Domestic machines which are more sophisticated and temperature stable (likely most, if not all dual boiler machines)- which are better in the domestic environment and then there are worse machines which are better than not having a machine.

C

Not sure how you can compare trucks to cars...

Here is how I could see a comparison. Bobcat to a Kanga, Sedan car to a Mini, Passenger Bus to Mini Bus, A380 to a Cessna.

All of above do what they are meant to do but, I'd rather fly the A380 with comfort in mind but the Cessna would be a fun plane to fly. Kanga's will move the dirt but not as comfy and safe as a Bobcat.

Bus to sportscar is no comparison.

Here is what I want, the best coffee I can get from a machine that is easy to use, I can't see myself playing with PID's or analyzing coffee blends, that’s for the experts. I just want a damn good coffee and want to be able to make a few when I have parties.

Yes, most of the Prosumer machines look sexy, but I have a Wife that is that. Why are commercial machines of similar sizes to the prosumer more expensive??? do they use better parts...

After reading my comparisons, I can see Bus to car (sportscar)

TC
    I just want a damn good coffee and want to be able to make a few when I have parties.
    Breville dual boiler- at about $1.2k will easily meet that brief.

On the other hand, if it's a sports car... The ante and the spend will need to be upped.

LaMarzocco (and not a GS/3 as it's just a lowly prosumer machine), VDW, Synesso or perhaps a Slayer might be the most appropriate options.

Factor in a suitable large conical grinder too.

My grinder is OK. I'd love an awesome sportscar...

I have a budget of under $4000.00

Chris, care to elaborate on your opinion of the GS/3?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
    Chris, care to elaborate on your opinion of the GS/3?
    Yes Simon,

I have one and it's a brilliant machine. It just doesn't meet the OP's brief as it's not commercial- therefore would be considered to be no good.

Lets get back to basics then.

A commercial machine is built for VOLUME (cafe / commercial situations etc).

A semi commercial (the term used by the manufacturers, their importers and agents and some of the market, while some people like to use the yankspeak "prosumer" nomenclature) machine is a compromise. Internally designed, and then built, as a "micro sized' commercial. The compromise is in the size, and due to the small size, they cant be used in full commercial situations, because they cant dish out the volume.

This makes them great for small commercial use such as bars and small offices, and "high end" home use situations, and of course they produce commercial style brew. Perfectly able to be used to *entertain* at home at for example, dinner parties, sizeable family gatherings etc, given the brief for home entertaining is quite different to cafe use situations.

While domestic / home use machines are operated in much the same way as commercials, internally they are quite different in their design, and most cant produce a commercial style brew due to certain limitations in their design and build, let along give you any volume.

So there are three basic categories to electric espresso machines:
    Commercial,
    Semi Commercial, and
    Domestic

My advice would be, if you *like* (and of course this will be different according to different individuals expectations and wants) the Wega that is the subject of this topic, why not believe whatever advice the machine's importer and agent givess you about the model? Genovese is not just a sponsor here, but also a very expereinced, professional, longstanding coffee and equipment merchant.

That means you should be able to trust what that professional tells you about the item you seem to like, and if you are happy to allocate the budget for the purchase, you should do what you want but remember, you will never use it to its potential in a home use situation, and it wont make coffee any better in a technical sense, than a smaller semi commercial.

And of course buying into the vehicle analogy with one I have used many times over......what is the point of buying a prime mover for the wife to take the three kids to school every morning? In that case, is the prime mover "better" than the family car, just because its built to haul much bigger loads, but cant be driven as easily on town roads?

You can get some excellent semi commercial machines from a number of site sponsors including myself (my own BFC / Diadema Junior machines - you can see some here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/sponsors/2...ex-coffee.html) and Chris (Talk Coffee) above who has also responded to your enquiry, for a far lesser cost that a commercial. They will do your home use job admirably (subject to your individual situation - seek advice from your professional vendor) and in some cases (as Chris mentioned) some semi commercials are technically superior than small end commercials. This really does help newbies make a better cuppa at home and to put it in black and white, the better semi commercials are "optimised" in their control to operate better and be more easily managed, in the home use situation.

But its all about what you as an individual like and want.

Hope that helps.
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.
    Last edited by Fresh_Coffee; 13th October 2012 at 08:43 AM.

TC
    I remember a tale of a certain CS owner and a Giotto....

After the 2009 bushfires in Victoria, said machine and 20kg of browns + a coupla hundy litres of milk into a van and he hot-footed up to one of the bushfire staging areas with the booty.

2000 coffees and 40 hours later....

Given this, I reckon most, if not all "prosumer" machines will probably be able to manage any party that any here can throw at one. Consider it a walk in the park.

No reason not to buy commercial and accept higher running costs and in cases, inferior performance and/or longer warmup- dependent on the choice of machine.

When a commercial displaces my GS/3, it will be a 2 gp lever in the knowledge that no gathering I ever have will push either machine.
    Last edited by TC; 13th October 2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added further information

Thanks Attilio, informative post.

I've looked at the Izzo Alex and think it's a great machine but I don't like that you can't fit 8 ounce glasses under the group. What would you suggest as a Dual Boiler that can fit these glasses under the group without being on an angle. The Alex from what I understand is a ripper machine and seems to be one of the best prosumer/domestic machine. I'm probably wrong about that.

I think 4K as a budget should be be enough and think most machines will fit in this budget.

TC
    QUOTE=georged2;481980]What would you suggest as a Dual Boiler that can fit these glasses under the group without being on an angle. [/QUOTE]

In semi-commercial rotary pump with tank and plumb in- the VBM Domobar Super 2B. RRP $4195
    vibiemme-domobar-super-twin-boiler-sml.jpeg

How does the VBM compare with the Alex Duetto

Thanks everyone for their advise. I decided to get the BMW Truck Bus. I bought a Wega Nova Junior and WOW, an awesome machine. Overkill... Yes but this machine will never let me down, I hope...

It looks great on my bench and having it plumbed in with Water and Drain, worth cutting a 40mm hole in my bench, Sorry Wife. Now I will open my doors and sell coffee to the neighbours for free.