Thread: how to measure group head temperature - bz40

how to measure group head temperature - bz40

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    does anyone have an Idea how to do that?
    Thanks

Dont you use a scace for that?

A scace is very expensive, plus it does not allow you to measure the temperature during shots/cooling flush like being done with the E61 group heads thermometer.
    I can measure the group head temperature itself using this:
    Group Temperature Strip Thermometer High Range and Low
    but this will not help fine tuning the cooling flush technique.
    Thanks

So you want to measure the temperature of the brew water at the group ?
    For temporary use , a TC "over the basket rim" will do that . ( empty basket for flushing)
    Or if you want quick & dirty, the old polystyrene cup and digital thermometer.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    For temporary use , a TC "over the basket rim" will do that . ( empty basket for flushing)
    Alternatively there are ports in most groupheads which will allow you to get access to the brew water channel immediately before the puck, on an E61 (for example, not sure what group the bz40 runs) it's an allen screw on the front of the group, you can purchase thermocouple probes which will screw into those (M6 thread is typical).

In the exploded parts diagram of the bz99 (which I think shares the same group design) there is a bolt in the centre of the group that seems to hold it all together. Not sure if this is in contact with the brew water or not. I have found a lot of information online on mods people in the USA have done to Livia 90s (basically a rebranded bz99). Might be worth a Google? I'd be interested to know if you find a way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    This is by far the simplest and easiest way to do it, and does no harm to the t/couple or the group gasket. Even better when you use Andy's Roast Monitor software (change a couple of settings in the config file first) and you've got a brew water temperature profile...

Mal.

Thanks, but I am was thinking of a more permanent solution liek being done on the E61 group heads.
    Although controling the group head temp (Cooling flush , etc.) is not as difficult as in the E61 (very long cooling flush, rebound) I would like to have a better control on whats going on there...

Have you any thoughts on how you want to control the temperature? I'm planning to plumb in a needle valve in parallel with the HX allowing some cool water to mix with the hot stream.