Thread: Faema s87 "Special": My first project

Faema s87 "Special": My first project

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CSer's,

It's been a long time coming...thinking about it....planning it....thinking about planning it....

I finally bit the bullet: Found a FAEMA Special on the net for a steal and had to have it.

Finally my first project and just a small step up from my breville

It has travelled a long way to get here and is in pretty good nick too. A quick look under the hood and everything seems intact.

Can't wait to hook it up and test it out tomorrow (too tired and late now) but thought I would put the first post up with a pic.

Tomorrow I want to test the boiler fill, element, group heads, solinoids and steam wands...fingers crossed they all work. Then will begin the strip down, clean and rebuild. Thinking retro colours here

Point of interest: I have no available water lines nor garden taps anywhere near my shed to plumb it in: Would a large bucket of water suffice just to test?

It's a little daunting thinking of all the work ahead.....Mixture of excitement and trepidation. Coffee is my passion and tinkering my hobby....hoping the two can meld together and create a rich dark crema all of its own....

Will keep you all posted with regular updates and pictures. Oh and any advice or suggestions are MOST welcome!! I think I will need all the help I can get!

Peace,

WG

Postscript: Apparently I am not allowed to post pics yet so I will do so as soon as I am allowed
    Last edited by WyldGrind; 23rd February 2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Speeling ;)

Quick question: The faema has a 15 amp plug and I only have 10 amp sockets at my house. Does anyone know how I can test this machine out? Will plugging it into my house circuit via an adapter trip the breakers? Has anyone come across this problem before and can offer a solution? I would like to test this baby out.

Hey,
    I can't comment much about electrics in AUS but up here I did find that I had to run extra circuits to test the machines I've bought. Until you get this machine sorted I would suggest wiring in a dedicated circuit in your basement close to the service panel where it would be cheap and easy to do so. Once you've restored it to perfect working condition and are ready to bring it upstairs, you can hire a sparky to install an outlet in your kitchen. Keep us updated and take lots of pictures, like me! It's a blast working on these machines. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by WyldGrind View Post
    Quick question: The faema has a 15 amp plug and I only have 10 amp sockets at my house. Does anyone know how I can test this machine out? Will plugging it into my house circuit via an adapter trip the breakers? Has anyone come across this problem before and can offer a solution? I would like to test this baby out.
    Get a 15 amp power point installed, it's the only safe and legal way.

Cheers guys....

I'm not the type to dice with electricity and I figured ye olde sparky was a go for this job...just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a simpler fix.

Photos to come as soon as I am allowed....

Faema S87 Update

Sooooo....it's been a while!

Basically I bought the faema with all good intentions of fixing her up and enjoying syrupy shots by now.

But alas, personal family circumstances have prevented me from getting started (family always comes first).

That is until now

I have finally been able to reignite my love of coffee and get out to the shed and start on the massive task of ressurecting this lady!

Unfortunately I do not have the ability to plumb this in (yet) but a big thanks to Rick for suggesting a temporary work around. The big problem is electricity: I do not have any 15 amp sockets anywhere and I can't get one installed as I live in a rental. THis means testing the machine has yet to occur. My place is old (the fuse box contains the old ceramic fuses) but some of these are 20 and 30 amp fuses so not sure if it could handle the draw the faema will introduce but it's a moot point anyway as I do not have any 15 amp sockets and I'm not too keen on swapping out the flex for a standard 10 amp one until I disconnect one of the element terminals and step down the wattage a little. As far as I know this is the only work around I have for this problem unless anyone has any other ideas????

So I finally have pictures of when I picked her up! Since then I have removed the side and rear panels and started to take out the face plates and really get a good look inside - plenty of dust and dirt! Hopefully this weekend I can drain and flush the boiler and hopefully even work on the element so I can finally plug her in and test!!! More pictures and posts to follow!

Cheers,

WG
    Last edited by WyldGrind; 2nd July 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Hmmmm I think I can ad pics now! ha ha....

Here goes nothing......I promise lots more pics of various stages of the disassembly, test, clean and rebuild....

WG

IMG_1043.JPG IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1046.JPG