Thread: Rancilio classe 7e 2gr

Rancilio classe 7e 2gr

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Right, long story, but I have one of these bad boys in my kitchen. It is second hand and I've tasted the sweet nectar it produces. The problem is that to get the power to it that it needs, I'm going to have to spend a small fortune. The boiler draws a maximum of 4300W (the whole machine 4950W). It has an 11 litre tank.

It strikes me that given I'll be using it domestically, I don't need an 11 litre tank and I could probably cut back on the elements as well. Am I correct in thinking it has 3?

Am I mad to be even contemplating using this domestically? Am I even more insane to be contemplating making conversions/adjustments to it?

If the answer to both is no, does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, experience etc to help?

Cheers.

Only you can answer the question of your sanity.

My two-group commercial's boiler is only half that size, 5 litres, and 3300 watts. To run it from an ordinary power point I removed one of the jumpers from the elements so it's now 2200 watts.

Plenty powerful enough in the steam department still and quick recovery. The only time it seriously loses steam pressure is if I draw lots of water from its tap. Never from steaming milk or brewing or both.

That would of course also happen with the full 3300 watts, but recovery would be quicker-not that it's slow now.

I'd expect that with 11 litres, your main consideration if you disable some elements is the extra time for initial heating up. There should still be sufficient heat and steam once you steam lots of milk and brew lots of coffees.

What about the weight? Can your benches take it?

'

Thanks Robusto.

The benches can take the weight.

I'd like to reduce the tank size as well. It seems absurd to heat 11 litres. Have you thought about that for yours? Even 5 litres seems a lot.

It's a slight upgrade from my aeropress.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post

It's a slight upgrade from my aeropress.
    Only slight.... like going from a pedal car to a Formula one.

I like my 5 L ...great for family gatherings when I might have to do 20 espressos/lattes :-)

I can't see how you can adapt a smaller tank to slot into the fittings for an 11 litre unless there is some kit available ....or you want to do some major, major replumbing.

Re: Rancilio classe 7e 2gr

Bear in mind that 11 L of water will require pretty much the same amount of energy to come to temperature, regardless of the heating power (ignoring a few things like heat loss to the surroundings). So just removing or disconnecting elements isn't going to save your energy bill.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJack View Post
    Bear in mind that 11 L of water will require pretty much the same amount of energy to come to temperature, regardless of the heating power (ignoring a few things like heat loss to the surroundings). So just removing or disconnecting elements isn't going to save your energy bill.
    Agreed, but it will allow me to use a 13 amp plug. It seems there is a mechanism for setting the level of the water tank and, at its lowest, it is still about 8L. The time to heat with only one element connected will be too long with that water volume (I think) and I can't see how I can downscale the machine any further.

Thanks for your responses.

13amps? In oz we have 10a and 15a as standard so assuming you are from another region.

anyway if you can get a schematic of the machine it would likely show the element configuration for the machine. Bear in mind though that they probably change elements for different voltages and regions so yours may differ.

If you are confident to open up the machine and identify the elements you can estimate their current consumption by unplugging the terminals and measuring the resistance: I (amps) = 240/R (resistance) ( assumes 240 power ).

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by brettreaby View Post
    If you are confident to open up the machine and identify the elements you can estimate their current consumption by unplugging the terminals and measuring the resistance
    A simpler method is to look closely at the end mounting flange on the element - the wattage of the element is almost always stamped on there somewhere, although it is often quite small and hard to read. From that it's easy to calculate current draw in Amps, and the reduced Amp rating if one or more legs of the element are disconnected.