Thread: Linea AV 1GP Restoration

Linea AV 1GP Restoration

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Embarking on a Linea AV single group restoration. Have completely disassembled entire machine and about to start descaling/cleaning of all the parts.
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with replacement gasket for the brew boiler to the group. My machine is the older type with stainless bolts and brass nuts which sit inside the boiler, held there by a stainless bracket. I have asked allpress but they do not stock or sell the older type gaskets, only gaskets designed for the later boilers with the studs welded to the boiler.
    Having read about a few other projects on the net, all seem to use a paper type gasket with loctite gasket seal(type 573). Does anyone know specifically which type of gasket material I should be using? Also I can't seem to source the loctite 573. Only the loctite 515. Can I use this instead?
    Any advice or help would be appreciated from anyone who has had experience with the older linea machines.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Wongie,

The old GS style gasket is available from Espresso Parts in the states, just search 'marzocco gs flange gasket' and you'll find it. If you want to make some and source the gasket material locally, I'd recommend the australian manufactured Klingersil C4430, datasheet here KLINGER Australia : Compression Packings & Gaskets

You should not need to use loctite if the sealing surfaces are clean and uniform

Thanks for that. I am in Auckland,NZ so not sure if I can find that gasket material. I may need to find a similar product locally. I would rather go to all lengths to make sure that the gasket seals as its a bit of a bugger to redo if it leaks.
    I did see the gasket from Espresso Parts USA but it would be a bit of a wait to get here. Maybe I will email them to see how long it would take to arrive here.

Hi Wongie, i'm in New Zealand and regularly use the Klingersil C4430 gasket material.It's available from engineering supply shops like blackwood paykels in different thicknesses and roll lengths. Or if you only need a small amount they can cut you a piece off and charge accordingly.
    I have also ordered from Espresssoparts in the states, and there are different postage options available at the checkout, but my last package took about a week door to door.Postage isn't cheap from the states, so make it worth it if you need other parts.Send me a PM if you'd like any other help

Thanks Kofekitt,

Yeah postage from US from Espresso Parts is prohibitive if you only need a few cheap parts. I will try to source the Klingersil in Auckland. When you have used it have you also added Loctite gasket sealant??
    Last thing I need is for the group to leak after I put everything back together.

Hi, i've never had the need to use a gasket sealant as well as a gasket.As 'coffee machinist' said it shouldn't be necessary if the mating surfaces are clean and uniform.However i do understand your concern as a leak once its all assembled is not good.Another thing you have to be aware of if using both is adverse reactions between the gasket material and the sealant if they are not compatible.

Site Sponsor
    we stock the boiler to group gaskets, they are the green silicone type that are LM genuine. LA MARZOCCO GREEN SILICON GROUP TO BOILER GASKET, we use these on our LM rebuilds and never have to much of an issue. With the gasket sealant, we always pt a dab of Loctite 510 on. hope this is healpful

Thanks for all your help guys.
    I have decided to go for the Klingersil 4430 as coffee machinist has suggested. I found a local supplier who was happy to cut some off for me. I decided to use some loctite(515) as well. I hope there are no compatibility issues with the gasket material.

Anyway project is nearly complete. Just waiting on some electronic components. Going to use PID control units for both boilers with SSRs.

For those that are interested, I have posted the photos of the restoration on Flickr.
    He is a link to the site:

Flickr: NZWongie's Photostream

Looks like it's coming up like new. When do you expect to finish resto?

Great work, Wongie! It will be as good as a new one.

Its nearly there. Just need to finish wiring up the control box end when everything arrives. Ordered all electronic parts ex HK so maybe a week or two away. Will also look at installing a small cooling fan on the main control box above the grouphead. These are prone to failing, probably due to the heat from the brewhead. At nearly NZ$400 each I thought i would try to prolong the life of the control box. Machine still works without it but I lose the volumetric dosing and pre-infusion.

To keep heat away from the (albeit much more simple electronics) of my EE Linea, I insulated both boilers. I used Armaflex HT, which has worked well for a few years now.

Will you have a switch to isolate the steam boiler for when it won't be used?

Electronic parts finally arrived from HK yesterday so I was able to finish the project. Only a couple of minor leaks on bench testing requiring some further tightening of the fittings.
    Playing around with the PID settings to try and get good temp stability.
    Now to get to know the machine. Already pulling some great shots so it can only get better hopefully...

Which PID controller did you go for, just out of interest?

Looks great, nice work.

Seeing your photos makes me realise my 2AV could do with a little restoration.

Beautiful photos and restoration. Panel polishing came up well--was that with the red and grey scotch brite pads?

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_machinist View Post
    Which PID controller did you go for, just out of interest?
    Went with a generic PID controller I found on deal extreme:

High Quality XMT7100 1.3" Screen PID Intelligent Temperature Controller - Black

Seems to be a very good unit for the price. Has autotune functions as well as full manual settings. Also able to set temp offset etc. Very compact unit at 1/32 din size.
    Have set it up to control down to 0.1degC increments. Temperature is very stable on the Linea with these controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by simonko View Post
    Beautiful photos and restoration. Panel polishing came up well--was that with the red and grey scotch brite pads?
    No not quite that simple. Involved a bench motor/polishing wheels, polishing compound etc and a bit of time. Probably the most time consuming part of the restoration.
    I think if i was to do again I would get it outsourced...

You can use scotchbrite on the brushed finish but only if it has very superficial scratches/marks. On the mirror finish panels all the scratches need to be polished out first then through a series of finer compounds/abrasives and steps you get to the desired finish.

I feel your pain with the polishing. Have done a lot of work with cars (engine parts, etc) for show-finish. Not only is it time consuming but you (and every thing else around you) gets entirely covered in crap. The result is lovely though! Sorry to go slightly off topic.. here's a photo of my workbench with grinder/buff wheel and a little station I built to keep it clean(er). A booth, dust extractor, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
    I feel your pain with the polishing. Have done a lot of work with cars (engine parts, etc) for show-finish. Not only is it time consuming but you (and every thing else around you) gets entirely covered in crap. The result is lovely though! Sorry to go slightly off topic.. here's a photo of my workbench with grinder/buff wheel and a little station I built to keep it clean(er). A booth, dust extractor, etc.
    Nice workshop setup James, booth is great for smaller parts but don't think I could get some of the larger panels into that booth though! I did most of the polishing in a separate area away from my 'clean' workshop. Actually did it in a spare car bay in my garage so I could clean it out if needed rather than get dust etc all over my workshop.

Have been pulling shots for a couple of days now on the Linea and the results are great. Huge improvement on the consistency of my shots compared with my Duetto.

Nice! Actually the buff wheel kind of sticks out so you can easily do large parts it's semi clean hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by wongie View Post
    Nice workshop setup James, booth is great for smaller parts but don't think I could get some of the larger panels into that booth though! I did most of the polishing in a separate area away from my 'clean' workshop. Actually did it in a spare car bay in my garage so I could clean it out if needed rather than get dust etc all over my workshop.

Have been pulling shots for a couple of days now on the Linea and the results are great. Huge improvement on the consistency of my shots compared with my Duetto.
    Here is a short video of a shot off the linea I pulled today;

Espresso shot from La Marzocco Linea - YouTube