Thread: Rocket R58 noise

Rocket R58 noise

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All

Just a quick question as i have done a search on the forum and with mr google and cant find what im looking for.

My R58 (3 month old roughly) make a bit of noise like a boiling kettle a few times a day. It only lasts for about 25 seconds. It happens on startup, but not on every startup!

I hadn't noticed this when i first got it, so im not sure if its something that has started lately.

Is this normal?

Cheers

Luke

Site Sponsor
    Hi Lukemc

We would love to be able to help you out with this.
    Feel free to call us on 1300 326 326

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks will call tomorrow

Luke, just curious.....were you able to sort out your "kettle" noise?

Steve

Not as of yet exactly, the tech at ECA was pretty non committal as to wether it was normal or not to be honest.

They were extremely ready to help though, i just have to bring the machine in to them (hour and 15 drive away sadly).

Im taking it back to coffee parts next week to have a look at it. After speaking to Pedro he said to drop the steam boiler temp to 120C (came at 125C) which will get rid of the noise, unfortunately it also drops the steam pressure guage to below 1 bar. Ill let them have a look and see whats up.

Theres also an issue with the lever, ever since i got it, when i put it in the "on" position i have to hold it on or it shuts off. To be honest i wasn't going to drive over an hour with the R58 in my car to get that looked at straight away hence me ignoring it! Now it has got to a point where it will not stay in the off position either, preferring instead to rest at a 45 degree angle.

Pedro has assured me this is an easy fix for them and they will do that tuesday while i wait, as well as look at the machine and see what the noises are.

TC
    In all likelihood, I think that the check will prove that this is normal.

When electric elements heat water, the localised boiling that occurs at the element water interface causes some noise.

All espresso machines do it. The only time I hear mine is in the morning when the house is quiet. Thereafter it continues, but I have to walk up and listen carefully for it.

Thanks Chris if that's the case then I'm more than happy.

Once the lever is fixed I'll be back on my merry way

I hadn't heard the noise before and was really just asking "should I hear this"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    Not as of yet exactly, the tech at ECA was pretty non committal as to wether it was normal or not to be honest.

They were extremely ready to help though, i just have to bring the machine in to them (hour and 15 drive away sadly).

Im taking it back to coffee parts next week to have a look at it. After speaking to Pedro he said to drop the steam boiler temp to 120C (came at 125C) which will get rid of the noise, unfortunately it also drops the steam pressure guage to below 1 bar. Ill let them have a look and see whats up.

Theres also an issue with the lever, ever since i got it, when i put it in the "on" position i have to hold it on or it shuts off. To be honest i wasn't going to drive over an hour with the R58 in my car to get that looked at straight away hence me ignoring it! Now it has got to a point where it will not stay in the off position either, preferring instead to rest at a 45 degree angle.

Pedro has assured me this is an easy fix for them and they will do that tuesday while i wait, as well as look at the machine and see what the noises are.
    Just an update on the R58. Boiling sound is normal.

The lever is another story! Coffee parts are waiting on advice from the importer as they hadn't seen the lever issue before. Apparently there is another machine in the wild with the same issue. It's on its way back to ECA so they can figure out what's going on and how to fix it. In the meantime my machine is back at home. Once they have a fix coffee parts will let me know and I will take it back again so they can apply it.

Whilst I was there they fitted an aftermarket ball bearing tipped micro switch to the lever system. For the first time since I bought it I can control pre infusion with a partial lift of the lever Happy days.

Hi Guys, just a final update on my machine. I eventually returned it to ECA for a look. They had it for 4 days and fixed it for me. Cant say enough good things about them. I dealt with Nadine received updates as the machine was being repaired and now its better than new. Rock solid

Im not 100% sure what magic they performed, but i think it entailed changing a spring and maybe the cam in the lever, but it has made the machine better than when i got it.

Chris as you said the kettle noise is really only heard at 6am when the house is quiet, after that i have to stand at the machine to hear it.

As i said, i cannot say enough about the service i received form them and thank them again

Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    Chris as you said the kettle noise is really only heard at 6am when the house is quiet, after that i have to stand at the machine to hear it.
    I love the kettle sound that my Giotto makes in the morning! There's something strangely satisfying about the way the sound ramps up and then shuts off so quickly as the pressurestat kicks in.