Thread: Faema Nordica?

kop

Faema Nordica?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,

does anybody know anything about this Faema machine? In Mumac Espresso museums website there is a similar one listed Faema 'Nordica' from 1960. I've been trying to google this for hours now but can't seem to find anything except that one picture. So I really don't know anything about it, it doesn't even have the same 'Nordica' patches as that one. What is this thing..??

kop
    Here is a response I got from Mumac:

"Model Nordica - Faema, Milan, 1960

2 coffee reserve groups - 1 delivery group - Preserved model

Machine featuring two boilers, one of which dedicated to the two reserve groups specifically designed for hotel needs, each containing a litre of coffee ready to be delivered directly into the cup; and the other one dedicated to the central group for the preparation of the traditional espresso coffee. The name is a homage to Nordic countries, which are great filter coffee consumers."

Quote Originally Posted by kop View Post
    Machine featuring two boilers, one of which dedicated to the two reserve groups specifically designed for hotel needs, each containing a litre of coffee ready to be delivered directly into the cup; and the other one dedicated to the central group for the preparation of the traditional espresso coffee. The name is a homage to Nordic countries, which are great filter coffee consumers."
    Looks like the "reserve groups" are some kind of drip filter arrangement, when I read the description I was initially thinking one of those horrible (and scary) "hotel groups"

What are those "hotel groups"
    machines then ?
    If this one aint one of them ?

Quote Originally Posted by patu View Post
    What are those "hotel groups" machines then ?
    If this one aint one of them ?
    A hotel group extracts under pressure, think a PF which is more like 150mm(? never seen one in the flesh, there are pictures around somewhere on here I think) diameter and 8 spouts instead of 58mm with 2...

That much suface area under 9-bar of pressure is extremely scary because the stresses are significantly higher, though it's been suggested that they probably don't operate at a full 9-bar due to this problem, they're not particularly common beasts.

58mm = 26.42cm^2 = ~242kg of force (total)
    150mm = 176.7cm^2 = ~1621kg of force (total)

Check out this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post399219