Thread: 80s Astoria Sonia Dream-build

80s Astoria Sonia Dream-build

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well it is to me. Only the second lever machine I have worked on, and the other was a repair with this being a full-on restoration and gas burner kit installation. The oldest and by far the nicest machine in my small collection and my repertoire of rebuilds and restorations. I bought this thing from a middle-aged Italian guy who used to be an espresso tech when his father had a repair shop. He sold it to me for a very low price and we had a nice talk about how much he's loved having it over the years and my plans for it. I send him an email every so often to let him know how it's doing. Between this and several other jobs I've been at it about a month but the work itself has gone quickly. Anyway, on with the pictures. I love the orange paint on this thing, it reminds me of the famous Italian racetracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I gave this one all the treats. Steel boiler bolts were replaced with stainless, heating element was replaced with slightly higher wattage, group springs were regular steel and completely rotted, so I replaced them with premium aftermarket stainless springs. Besides that and the aftermarket group sleeve (which I had to turn down on a lathe because the bottom o-ring boss was too fat to sink into the group) absolutely everything in this build is genuine CMA parts. Not much left now, beyond re-welding a crossmember I had to relocate to fit the gas burner and finding a straight fitting to connect the safety valve to the regulator (for some reason they send the regulator with a 90* elbow epoxied in which makes mounting the regulator and safety valve parallel impossible) and some finish wiring. I really don't want to sell this machine but just might have to in order to pay the bills. It will make myself, or someone like me with more money than I, very happy indeed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for sharing this. From old to new again is a beautiful process isn't it. Well done.