Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    New entrant from Ambient Espresso. We plan to add it to range

la vela 3.jpgla vela 1.jpgla vela 2.jpg

That's fairly out there. Would be interesting to see up close

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasanmarcomelb View Post
    That's fairly out there. Would be interesting to see up close
    Yes- sure is....

This is the lever I have been sworn to secrecy on... They have some other irons in the fire as well which will shake thing up a bit. Can't wait to start then next thread! :-X
    Dragunov21 likes this.

Good to see some boundaries being pushed (or harking back to the 50's 60's when the machine was a piece of art). Not quite sure I like the front pointy panel but love the boiler and steam lever.

Is it a mortal sin to be jealous of another's lever?

Very cool Chris, its gorgeous.. the tap/steam paddles look a bit obscured by the front shield but maybe it's just the photo.. what group?
    DScanes likes this.

Great to see machine designers thinking outside the square (or cube).

Looks awesome, Chris, both futuristic and retro at the same time.

Looking forward to a play when it's on your bench.

Is it a 58mm group?

Might even take one skiing............ :-D

I like some of that, I think.
    Not sure on the star trek emblem though...

Do you know any of the specs Chris? Looks gorgeous but even bigger than my Achille...

TC
    I think it's a 58mm CMA group....

I'll post specs as soon as I have them...

Hi Chris,
    Any idea on price yet? Looks beautiful.....
    Cheers
    Dr Dave

Yes, certainly eye catching but not sure it would be for me. Would like to see it on the bench

Steve.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dave View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Any idea on price yet? Looks beautiful.....
    Cheers
    Dr Dave
    Hi Dave,

No pricing as yet. I assume probably Pompeii price bracket due to the fabrication and finish- but I've been wrong before!

It will be available in good time for Santa

Chris

No Chimney here in Rocky but does he deliver to the door step instead??
    Keep me informed of price please Chris, but I will need to run it past the Leader of the Opposition....
    I am coming to MLB in Nov so will have to see if I have time to visit!
    Cheers

Certainly looks interesting. Is this a double boiler? PID like a Nuova Pompeii?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    Certainly looks interesting. Is this a double boiler? PID like a Nuova Pompeii?
    One boiler heat exchange- as per the single boiler in the graphic ...I am assuming pressurestat

At the moment, CS knows everything I know about the machine- so I'll update with further information as it comes to hand....
    Last edited by TC; 25th July 2013 at 06:25 PM.

Sure you could fit two boilers in that housing... ( the shiny stainless looks like it's decorative rather than for containment).

Fully plumbed only I am guessing ?

TC
    Yes b52... I have yet to see a lever of this style which works well from a tank and the massive amount of work that Rick has done on Andy's Australium supports this. Perhaps one day....

MrJack: You could incorporate dual boilers, but the designer decided to go traditional lever and wanted a low volume "out there" machine which would get people talking- and it has.

Nevertheless, it seems there are already suggestions elsewhere of "retailers jumping on the bandwagon" elsewhere. We did...about 5 years ago.

This is far from the first machine the designer has produced and many CS'ers are currently using his kit. His next project will shake things up substantially with groundbreaking technology which has far more relevance to everyday use. More info to come when we are given the ok to reveal it.

At the very latest, I'll play with both machines at HOST.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Andy's Australium
    Awesome Chris!! Love it!! 8-D

I really like the water and steam wands, not sure about the controls in the side though. I don't like the pointy bits on the feet. I don't know how I feel about the front plate, certainly its going to be a bit of a pain to keep clean and shiny.

Would love to know more specifics, such as boiler size and whether it's dipper/thermosyphon/something else fed

Yes b52... I have yet to see a lever of this style which works well from a tank
    Really? The Londinium I works flawlessley from a tank. Same group as well.

I think it's a 58mm CMA group...
    Looks like a Bosco group to me.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    I really like the water and steam wands, not sure about the controls in the side though. I don't like the pointy bits on the feet. I don't know how I feel about the front plate, certainly its going to be a bit of a pain to keep clean and shiny.

Would love to know more...

Really? The Londinium I works flawlessley from a tank. Same group as well.

Looks like a Bosco group to me.
    No worries aaronb. More info as it comes to hand...The Bosco is a CMA group.

Whilst the Londinium operates from a tank, it is a long way from flawless. Rick's temp. traces proved it. The solution was a dual boiler conversion. I used it before and after, saw the results and tasted them as well.

htb
    Looks flash. Looking forward to hearing how it performs.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    The Londinium I works flawlessley from a tank. Same group as well...
    ? Thats not the view of all owners !
    ..and not all applications of the CMA group are the same..EG Dipper, HX, etc
    TC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    ? Thats not the view of all owners !
    ..and not all applications of the CMA group are the same..EG Dipper, HX, etc
    My Bosco works flawlessly. It's design is deceivingly simple, but has been refined over many years.
    If I am not happy with the result in the cup, I do not blame the machine, but assess technique and also the quality of the coffee being used. Not all beans and roast profiles will produce brilliant espresso. Understanding roast levels, and what does or does not work for levers is a lot more interesting and pertinent to me than all the ego driven posts that surround a particular machine.

TC
    Agreed- The Bosco/Pompeii are completely different kettles 'o fish. We anticipate La Vela will perform similarly.

great looking machine....what's the price and where can I see one in Melbourne?

Hi Clive, see post # 12 above .

Steve

I can't say I've seen a prettier machine (and I've been looking!). Looks a bit a like a robot snail from the side.

TC
    More info to hand: 5L boiler all 304 stainless

Thats one super shiny snowmobile

Interesting design piece

.........I have yet to see a lever of this style which works well from a tank and the massive amount of work .......
    Really?

I guess the few Levers (One with this same Astoria based group) I have running very happily and simply from external tanks and internal or external pumps must be special then. One of those is soon to go to an internal tank to go with the fitted pump to make it more simple again for outside jobs. Apart from the Tank and Pump a few simple hoses and fittings and a little careful (240V) wiring is all that is needed.

If like most of the modern machines the lever has an Auto fill fitted then it is actually a simple matter to parallel wire the Pump in with where the inlet water solenoid is. Contact ratings on the Auto fills I have are all more than up to running a small pump. This pump only needs to be 2-3 bar capable so while a procon or similar will do it they are really overkill for the job.

Without seeing under the hood I suspect it may not be a HX design in the sense of some pumped machines and will share more in common with my Fiorenzato Lever. That is boiler water is fed back through a sealed tube through the boiler and into the head rather than a dipper tube like some other groups.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytheboot View Post
    Thats one super shiny snowmobile
    Sure is!

Dimensions attached for those who are following the thread.
    la vela dimensions.jpg

Blog Entries
    Very funky design!

Makes me wonder what the ergonomics of it will be like?
    I had initial concern about the proximity of the handles to the boiler (ouch!) but maybe it has a double (insulated?) skin?

TC
    Hi Andy,

Agreed. I have those concerns as well.

I guess nobody will really know until it sees daylight at HOST, but I'll report back.

The boiler- yes it is inside the SS skin
    Last edited by TC; 31st July 2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: further info

Any updates to this thread or the hint of new bling??

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzal View Post
    Any updates to this thread or the hint of new bling??
    Hi Pretzal,

I regret we won't have anything to add now until after HOST in October.

I understand the furst build will be just 14 machines. I have placed our name on one.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris.

wow -- design plus -- great to see some innovation in the domestic machine market.

TC
    Orders are now open for La Vela. We are hoping to receive our first stocks prior to Christmas.

la vela 3.jpgla vela dimensions.jpg

Details of the machine:
    • Hand made body of 304 stainless steel
    • 5 litre stainless boiler- double insulated
    • 2000W element
    • Boiler cleaning waste gate
    • Standard kit: 1x double portafilter, 1x single portafilter, 1x naked, 3x steam tips, tamper, instruction book.
    • The machine ships in a solid. foldable wooden crate.

50% deposit on order and any early adopters who would like to place an order prior to October 10 will receive their machine at our wholesale price.

Contact me for further details.

Chris

Hi Chris,

In your specs you refer to the boiler as "double insulated"....

Can you clarify if you are referring to this being electrically 'double insulated'... (Which for those unaware- is about electrical safety- *nothing* to do with keeping the boiler hot/handles cool)
    As I expect you were saying because otherwise the numbers simply don't add up.

At 420mm maximum width the internal measurement of the boiler needs to be a shade over 250mm to give you a volume capacity of 5 litres- as per the specs.
    BTW isn't a 5 litre boiler 'enormous' for even a high end prosumer machine?

Measuring off the schematic the boiler is only just 250 mm dia- which fits with the specs... But this implies an un-insulated 5- litre exposed boiler. That's gotta throw off an awful lot of heat, doesn't it? Dunno, just trying to get a feel for how it might work? Or not? If you have this on standby, all day- it's gonna heat the room up and/or chew the power at a high rate- seems terribly inefficient. Or am I missing /misunderstanding something? OTOH, starting this machine from cold- to boil a whole 5 litres to get one cup of coffee? How does that work?

Cheers,
    OG
    Last edited by Ol_Grumpy; 28th September 2013 at 03:45 PM.

TC
    Hi OG,

No- the boiler effectively has a twin skin delivering no more than 40 deg C at the surface. Hope that clarifies things. Some have also asked HX or dipper. It's a dipper design sans pump :-)

I have pics, but not the ok to release them as yet

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ol_Grumpy View Post
    BTW isn't a 5 litre boiler 'enormous' for even a high end prosumer machine?

OG
    On the high side of large, but not enormous .... The Elektra 60s has a 6 litre

Chris, do you have any details on expected price ? I am considering a lever machine (plus a few others) ...

Thanks
    BeanB

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanBrat View Post
    On the high side of large, but not enormous .... The Elektra 60s has a 6 litre

Chris, do you have any details on expected price ? I am considering a lever machine (plus a few others) ...

Thanks
    BeanB
    Sure thing B_B. Email is best at this stage and I can provide early adopter pricing for you.

Chris

TC
    La Vela has been renamed Ventus- latin for wind....

Seems another company had dibs on La Vela....
    Last edited by TC; 6th October 2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: translation goof ::-)

Wink

La Vela has been renamed Ventus- latin for sail....

Seems another company had dibs on La Vela....
    Hello just to clarify, before to choose a name we have checked someone with the same name in the trade marks registry and none was found. In the last few days we have received a letter from a lawyer that wrote on behalf of Wega were they said that they already use this name on one of their machine (i don't know why). Well they have this model since 2007 more or less and they have registered this name only on 27 September 2013. First of all we do not have any help in promoting our machines using a brands or names of someone else. My family is involved in a coffee machine market since 1950 and honestly there are no reason for us to copy someone especially Wega that is not so common for us. Choose a name is not so simple due of a huge variety of machines and companies on the market. I hope that "Ventus" will be apreciate (it's wind in latin).
    In any case me and Antonio are flattered that someone has moved they interest for us before that we start....
    Have a nice day to everybody.

No worries aaronb. More info as it comes to hand...The Bosco is a CMA group.

Whilst the Londinium operates from a tank, it is a long way from flawless. Rick's temp. traces proved it. The solution was a dual boiler conversion. I used it before and after, saw the results and tasted them as well.
    I wouldn't like to off topic this thread, so could anyone tell me if there's a thread with more info about that temp traces? Thx.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by PaoloCortese View Post
    Hello just to clarify, before to choose a name we have checked someone with the same name in the trade marks registry and none was found. In the last few days we have received a letter from a lawyer that wrote on behalf of Wega were they said that they already use this name on one of their machine (i don't know why). Well they have this model since 2007 more or less and they have registered this name only on 27 September 2013. First of all we do not have any help in promoting our machines using a brands or names of someone else. My family is involved in a coffee machine market since 1950 and honestly there are no reason for us to copy someone especially Wega that is not so common for us. Choose a name is not so simple due of a huge variety of machines and companies on the market. I hope that "Ventus" will be apreciate (it's wind in latin).
    In any case me and Antonio are flattered that someone has moved they interest for us before that we start....
    Have a nice day to everybody.
    Hmm.... The timeline looks more like Wega did the dirty on you Paolo. Disappointing that they would want to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by oton View Post
    I wouldn't like to off topic this thread, so could anyone tell me if there's a thread with more info about that temp traces? Thx.
    Sticky thread in this forum....

TC
    Our Ventus has arrived and is now on Talk Coffee shot duty.

I pulled about a dozen today and initial impressions is that it's very, very close to perfect out of the box. I just need to experiment a little to find an even sweeter spot.

We'll have it on whenever we are open all week for CS'er shots on the house (and yes- that's a Robur beside it!)

Chris
    ventus.jpegventus2.jpeg

The look is distinctly Klingon... but I mean that in the best possible way

Would love to have one on my bench
    Barry O'Speedwagon likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    The look is distinctly Klingon... but I mean that in the best possible way

Would love to have one on my bench
    Come pull some shots someday Vinitasse. This one is a keeper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast