Thread: Advice Please! On Semi-Automatic Coffee Machine for Canteen

Question Advice Please! On Semi-Automatic Coffee Machine for Canteen

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    I've recently become a canteen manager at a private school (high & Primary), the principal has given me premission to buy the canteen a good coffee machine.
    I am wanting to buy a machine that automatically tampers and gives specific espresso shots.... but doesn't add the milk automatically. We used a machine like this in McCafe and it was awesome.... it just had buttons that you would press to choose the strength of espresso you wanted but then still had a steam wand for frothing milk.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of any machines they know of???

Thanks

Budget? Looked at the Breville Oracle?

Slightly off topic here, but coffee for kids? Im not a health expert here, but is that a good idea?

okitoki: One assumes this is for the staff/parents and *maybe* the older high school students...

In answer to the original question, super-autos ("semi-automatic" means something entirely different to most people here ;D) aren't particularly common fare on the forum here, but some of the site sponsors do office coffee machines and that is probably where you want to be looking, there is a Quote Form link at the top of the page which will allow you to contact all of the sponsors in one hit.

As D21 says above, the Oracle may be an option when it's released, RRP is supposed to be $2500, it has an inbuilt grinder, auto-tamps, has a separate steam wand which you can either use manually or "trust the machine" with.

Yes its for parents after school drop off and staff
    Not concerned with budget atm just a machine that is simple to use and will do away with the mess of grinding own beans and tampering etc. Would like to froth own milk tho.
    Will looks at the Breville Oracle thanks! Any other suggestions?

Sorry I meant I would like to do the milk...not the machine

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Slightly off topic here, but coffee for kids? Im not a health expert here, but is that a good idea?
    When they're smashing Red Bull, do you think it will make a difference? At some stage I suspect we're going to see health issues from chronic reliance on caffeine from childhood through adulthood, but it won't be because of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov21 View Post
    When they're all smashing Red Bull, do you think it will make a difference? At some stage I suspect we're going to see health issues from chronic reliance on caffeine from childhood through adulthood, but it won't be because of coffee.
    Good point... I have heard of some school banning energy drinks a while ago... so I assumed that was still the case...

Yeah, but even if you keep it out of schools, if people are consuming before/after/on weekends it's a bit of a moot point for those who have decided they want to drink that stuff.

One of the (construction) sites I was working at last year really worried me; most of the tradies I saw regularly seemed to be going through it like there was no tomorrow.

Might as well just hand out ritalin or amphetamines...

Ok so I looked at the Sunbeam Oracle....looks like that is what I'm after....has it been realeased in Australia yet??

Sunbeam Oracle? you mean the Breville...

I saw the Breville Oracle demonstrated in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. A very impressive machine. Breville call it “manual automatic”.

It has a built in grinder that automatically doses and tamps the coffee into the portafilter which is manually moved to the group head to brew the coffee.

The boiler system is the same as in the Breville Dual Boiler.

Breville expect to have it on the market in Australia sometime before Xmas. The recommended price will be $2,500, however discounting will occur.

Barry

Well in order to get a good machine that can pump out great coffee then would be going down the road of a proper machine and a swift grinder..but that might be blowing out a school canteen's budget!

If you go down the automatic path, it's well worth something that will do hot choc too. I've dealt with a few schools and you will generally do more kgs of hot choc than coffee.

You would almost be better going for a good commercial single group with on demand grinder (lucky to do a couple of kgs per week) Enough steam capacity to knock out the hot chocolate for the kids and make a good coffee for the teachers. Parents don't hang around for coffee at school, they throw their kids through the gate and run as fast as they can *from experience ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jminchin View Post
    ... I would like to do the milk...not the machine
    Why ? ..
    ...seems an odd situation to have a fully auto machine and not auto milk ?