Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: Rocket R58 or Evo2 for home use?

Rocket R58 or Evo2 for home use?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    What are peoples thoughts on the above? Is it worth spending the extra for the dual boiler machine?

I have owned both HX and a dual boiler in the past in an office environment (where i now have a commercial machine), and like being able to steam / extract at the same time.

Now i am buying a machine from home, i am not sure that this is that important given that usual use will be 2 cups at a time.

Thanks for your thoughts

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by teknostar View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on the above? Is it worth spending the extra for the dual boiler machine?

I have owned both HX and a dual boiler in the past in an office environment (where i now have a commercial machine), and like being able to steam / extract at the same time.

Now i am buying a machine from home, i am not sure that this is that important given that usual use will be 2 cups at a time.

Thanks for your thoughts
    G'day technostar,

HX will be fine unless you like to experiment with very light roast and do lots of black coffee. You might also consider adding the Alex Duetto to the shortlist. It sits between the 2 Rocket machines on price.

Happy researching/shopping...

Cheers

Chris

My $.02. It is a choice between the extra $$ vs taking temp surfing out of the equation in the pursuit of great taste.
    Unlike probably most in this forum, I'm not clever enough to get precise temp results with my Hx machine without really paying attention and practice.

Shifting to the dual boiler R58 made temp management (to +/- 1oC much simpler). I'm still a newbie with just a couple thousand shots under my belt so reducing the variables is a decision that I don't regret. It certainly takes the pressure off when company arrives.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by kspear View Post
    My $.02. It is a choice between the extra $$ vs taking temp surfing out of the equation in the pursuit of great taste.
    Unlike probably most in this forum, I'm not clever enough to get precise temp results with my Hx machine without really paying attention and practice.

Shifting to the dual boiler R58 made temp management (to +/- 1oC much simpler). I'm still a newbie with just a couple thousand shots under my belt so reducing the variables is a decision that I don't regret. It certainly takes the pressure off when company arrives.
    Temperature surfing and cooling flush do not exist with correctly calibrated HX machines. We have moved on since 1990 so let's not regurgitate internet misinformation

Both machines are excellent and I stand by my earlier comments.
    Yelta likes this.

I don't have to temperature surf my HX (ECM Technika Profi IV)... I do, however, wonder if I'm missing out by not easily being able to adjust my brew temperature for different roast levels (I home roast as well).

Oops!
    I didn't mean to step on toes here.
    Last edited by kspear; 3rd September 2013 at 03:15 PM.