• 1 Post By coffee_machinist
  • 2 Post By blend52
  • 1 Post By Vinitasse
  • 1 Post By Vinitasse

Thread: Colloseum by Ambient&espresso

TC

Colloseum by Ambient&espresso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Can't decide whether to get a lever or e-61 machine?

Need 2 grinders?

Ambient&spresso have the perfect solution for you. You may need to remodel the kitchen though!

You have to say they are doing things "differently"!

Colosseum by Ambient&spresso.jpg

I hope they plan to ship it with a giant lazy susan to match. Dose, spin spin, pull shot, spin spin spin...
    TC likes this.

Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Whoa
    What a pile of cups you could get on that warmer!

Now that's coffee in the round!

TC

TC

Hmmm ? looks suspiciously like a set of CGI images !
    does this machine actually exist ? ..or is it just a "virtual " design ?
    Mono and Dragunov21 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    Hmmm ? looks suspiciously like a set of CGI images !
    does this machine actually exist ? ..or is it just a "virtual " design ?
    Why be suspicious about it? Anyone can see that these are obviously computer derived vector graphics and is, therefore, a virtual design. As to your one semi-valid question... "...does this machine actually exist?" ... what do you think? With tiny bean hoppers getting baked all to rat shit by the Fukushima levels of heat coming off the machine, with very short steam wands situated behind the steam taps what do do you honestly think? Seriously!

To me it comes across as a cute but still meaningless graphic arts or design project where someone tried to marry together two of Italy's most revered icons... caffe and Rome's Colliseum
    Last edited by Vinitasse; 1st September 2013 at 05:42 PM.
    TC likes this.

TC
    Yes- very clearly vector graphics.

Ambient plan to exhibit a prototype at HOST in October. Having seen the attention to detail in the design of some of the other designs they are planning, I have little doubt that they will have considered heat. As always, more detail when I get the ok to release it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Ambient plan to exhibit a prototype at HOST in October.
    Prototype..or mock up ?
    This type of machine would presumably be a custom build, commissioned for a specific customer.
    Few outlets would be able to install and utilize such a beast ad hock !

TC
    Prototype..or mock up ?
    This type of machine would presumably be a custom build, commissioned for a specific customer.
    Few outlets would be able to install and utilize such a beast ad hock !
    They say prototype.

In a custom built in the round workspace, it would be sure be a crowd puller.

Ambient plan to exhibit a prototype at HOST in October. Having seen the attention to detail in the design of some of the other designs they are planning, I have little doubt that they will have considered heat. As always, more detail when I get the ok to release it.

Chris
    Hey Chris... no offense meant by my comments. Was simply exasperated by the usual "stupid is as stupid does" (to quote Forrest Gump) line of questioning. I, for one, can clearly see that this is a design in progress and do look forward to seeing the end result.

Keep us posted

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    Hey Chris... no offense meant by my comments. Was simply exasperated by the usual "stupid is as stupid does" (to quote Forrest Gump) line of questioning. I, for one, can clearly see that this is a design in progress and do look forward to seeing the end result.

Keep us posted
    And none taken Vinitasse ;-)

I too am very curious to see what will become of these renderings. I plan to take plenty of happy snaps while I'm over there and will post up whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinitasse View Post
    ... Was simply exasperated by the usual "stupid is as stupid does" (to quote Forrest Gump) line of questioning.
    ??..Since when did asking "does this machine actually exist ?" ..become a stupid question ?

My question stems from the endless stream of CGI visualized "3D ideas" ( not necessarily coffee kit) such as those frequently seen on "kickstarter", dreamed up by keyboard jockeys who have no comprehension of how to actually produce a hardware product let alone the commercial reality of market acceptance.

I will be intrigued to see if this actually ever becomes a finished product.

TC
    Just to enlighten a touch here, the keyboard jockey is none other than the guy that dreamed up the Izzo portfolio of machines. He was also their export manager- now doing his own thing.

I'd reckon his comprehension of hardware product and commercial reality is actually better than many here.

Without even thinking too much about this, I reckon the Asian market would go nuts for it.
    Last edited by TC; 3rd September 2013 at 06:32 AM.

They say prototype.

In a custom built in the round workspace, it would be sure be a crowd puller.
    I agree - I can think of one NZ bar I visit semi-regularly where this style of machine would complement the 'in the round' layout of beer taps very nicely - in excess of 40 taps I believe, no duplication.

Beer - the other beverage where I consider quality to be more important than cost.

If "novelty" or unique design is considered a requirement to draw customers, then the "Modbar" system would seem to be a option for forward thinking coffee bar owners..giving the flexible choice of various brew methods in a customer friendly layout.
    Modbar :: home
    ..and not just a design, but already in commercial use.
    slider_3.jpgesp_tap_3.jpgespresso_tap_slide_1.jpg

TC
    One of their design ideas...Airport business lounge anyone?
    collo10.jpg

If "novelty" or unique design is considered a requirement to draw customers, then the "Modbar" system would seem to be a option for forward thinking coffee bar owners..giving the flexible choice of various brew methods in a customer friendly layout.
    Modbar :: home
    ..and not just a design, but already in commercial use.
    slider_3.jpgesp_tap_3.jpgespresso_tap_slide_1.jpg
    I don't think I would ever consider a novel design to be a requirement (although obviously there will always be some customers who are attracted by such), but given the cost of commercial space nowadays I think that new designs and layouts that give the most efficient working space coupled with the maximum customer space need to be explored, even if ultimately they turn out to be dead-ends.

As a customer I like the Modbar design at first sight - everything is visible to the customer and I've bought enough dodgy cappas for my wife that I now try to see the state of the steam wand before ordering - there's some terrible crusty brown tubes out there, which not only don't inspire confidence in the milk drinks, but in my experience it generally doesn't bode well for my short black either.

TC
    A crappy happy snap from the fair:

colosseum.jpeg

Paolo informs that the grinders are to be upgraded, doser/doserless as required and that any configuration of groups will be available.

Profiled extractions via the Vesuvius controller will also be possible. Once surprise was that it's an oval, not a circle as I had interpreted from the renderings.

Why in the 3D image are the dosers half full of stale coffee?
    I hope this is not representive of their level of understanding of how to make good espresso.

Stale virtual coffee. That's a new one!

My question, is what impact would this have on the perskn pulling the shots. Not many cafes around these days, where you can see everything the barista is doing!

Good on them for seeing through a fairly "out of the box" idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bames View Post
    I hope this is not representive of their level of understanding of how to make good espresso.
    You obviously take yourself far too seriously.
    TC likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bames View Post
    I hope this is not representive (sic) of their level of understanding of how to make good espresso.
    They have just designed and brought to market the first variable pressure profile gear pump driven PID prosumer machine.

Given a choice of sides, I'll take the designers thanks