Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Canelli
  • 1 Post By Morgz

Thread: Extreme Machine Shortlist

Extreme Machine Shortlist

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello Snoblanders,

I posted this into the I'm new here thread but it appears it is seldom read so I'm guessing I'll have more luck here.

I'm not new to the forum, been poking around here since 2008 but I finally joined the other day with the intention of putting out my wishlist to the sponsors. I've been using a Jura superautomatic since 2007 and it has finally shuffled off its mortal coil which means it's time to indulge a little.

Living in Brisbane makes it harder than you would think to access high end domestic machines locally. With that in mind I'll probably make a few calls this week to the usual suspects but I have a shortlist already and also a long shot on a machine that appears may make an appearance in Australia later this year. The shortlist consists of three strong contenders and two maybes:

Diadema Junior Extra PID

VBM Domobar Super 2B PID

Rocket R58

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2 (Maybe)

Diadema Junior Extra PID Rotary (A new zealand store suggests it will be released in october so would be very interested - I won't link but google "BFC JUNIOR EXTRA DUAL BOILER ROTARY PUMP")

I've not seen any of these machines in the flesh which makes it difficult to cross shop as aesthetics are also an important consideration when spending this sort of coin. This is another reason I've crossed the Alex off the shortlist, from the pics and to my eye it's not sexy enough (personal opinion, please don't be offended. I know there is a large contingent of Alex owners here).

I also plan to control the machines power with automation and it was pointed out by a smarter man than myself that the VBM appears to have a 2 step start up procedure, first to fill the boiler and second to start the machine. This may preclude it from my shortlist if I can't turn it on remotely. Does this apply to any of the other machines on my list?

Will also be needing a grinder and the Chrome stepless Macap M4 will be my weapon of choice.

Feel free to bounce some ideas off me and maybe some suggestions for something I've overlooked. I'd also love it if a certain someone could confirm of deny the pending Rotary Diadema possibility, I'm very interested in this. A fellow CS member and friend of mine has a Unico splendour which I adore so I have a leaning towards Diadema.

Anyhow, thats good to get off my chest and no doubt you will see me around asking all sorts of stupid questions as my journey into the mysterious black art of making the perfect espresso begins.

Hi,
    Its tough making a choice when you cannot see machines in person isn't it? Try living in a small town rather than Brisbane!
    I upgraded my VBM single boiler to a double boiler 3 years ago and read/looked around/googled/talked to people etc.

My advice is find a dealer that you trust and like, see what they recommend and then go and visit them, so you can have a play and look at the machines in the flesh
    I went to MLB and bought an Alex Duetto 2 from Talk Coffee- I already had a Macap MD4 grinder. I am really happy with both. Chris has given great after sales service
    Good luck
    Dr Dave

TC
    Thanks for the kind words Dr_Dave.

Welcome (belatedly) Breno,

Nice shortlist you have there and all will do an admirable job for you. It comes down to the differences between them and what best suits your needs- and that might not be a dual boiler machine! We'd be delighted to talk you through some pros and cons.

W/R to the Diadema Junior Extra PID rotary, I am not even sure if it's coming to Australia. Needless that it would be priced similarly to the offers from competitor manufacturers. It's probably best to speak with CosmoreX coffee on that one. Attilio was a sponsor here until recently and had been a comprehensive source of great information.

Hope that helps...

Chris

I reckon the Orchestrale Nota is sexy enough, and good enough. The Giotto is my current " straight" favourite.

Hi Breno

I too have a VBM 2B, got it from Chris at Talk Coffee about 15 months ago, great service, fantastic knowledge from Chris. I cannot comment on the other machines on your list but all look very good. I stepped up from a VBM DS to the 2B, great machine, excellent results. As Chris wrote - its what best suits your needs.

I have mine running off an HPM electronic time switch (??$20ish from Bunnings) it has programs that can be set to start/stop multiple times a day, multiple programs per week etc etc. Yes the VBM does have a 2 stage switch to turn on however this has been fully on since I got it (15 months)and the previous VBM DS was on for about 5 years. The HPM switch does the turn on/off. Please confirm with Chris that this is the correct way to operate however I am not sure if your note about the 2 stage switch is relevant as the time switch controls it.

Chris

Breno, how about the Elektra Sixties T1

Sponsor Jetblack has them .. last time I was there I took a look .. very classy and build quality is superb

Elektra Sixties T1 1 Group

Thanks for all the responses so far, I'm thinking I really need to see these in the flesh before committing. I have an impending trip south so I'll try to get to one of the sponsors. BeanBrat, that Elektra looks very nice but it's really getting up there when it comes to price compared to the others. Thanks TOK, knowing that the Diadema rotary is coming just makes it even harder for me now. I tend to over think purchases like this going round and round in circles.

Talk_Coffee, I agree a dual boiler is probably not needed but I'm trying to avoid upgraditis and I'm more interested in having the PID more so than the dual boiler aspect. I also like the ability to turn off the steam boiler as I'd mostly only use steam on the weekends although my wife drinks long blacks and I assume the hot water comes from this boiler. Damn, too many variables are doing my head in.

Thanks for the info on the VBM chrismelb, for me the PID on the VBM is the neatest integration of a PID I have seen. I intend to control the machine via automation which also gives me the ability to switch it on with my iPad remotely. I like toys I had a laugh.

Dr_Dave, I feel your isolation. It sometimes seems Brisbane misses out on some of the specialty stockists and related service professionals.

My main concern is servicing, is there anyone in Brisbane/Queensland who really "Knows" what they are doing servicing these machines?

Hi Breno,

If access to local service is a priority (btw, I totally agree with you), then consider a machine from Chris at Bezzera Australia. The head office and workshop is based in Brisbane. They carry a full range of spare parts and have a service technician on staff.

I purchased a Strega from Chris a year ago and have been impressed with his level of service. Back in February, I had to take the machine in to fix a leaking water tap. The machine was ready to be picked up on a Friday but due to a car breakdown I couldn’t get there in time. Despondently, I phoned Chris to tell that I couldn’t make it. I was going to have to somehow survive the weekend without my beloved Strega! He checked his calendar and said that he could meet me at the workshop on Saturday morning to get my machine.

I’m not sure if a Bezzera is on your shopping list. The Strega certainly cured my case of upgraditis. After a year, I still look forward to each shot that I pull with the machine.

If you’re anywhere near the western suburbs of Brisbane I’d be happy to give a demo.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Dimal, thebookfreak58 and Breno like this.

TC
    Another worthy member of this list will be the forthcoming Vesuvius by Ambient espresso. CS discussion thread is here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Breno View Post
    My main concern is servicing, is there anyone in Brisbane/Queensland who really "Knows" what they are doing servicing these machines?
    Sure, don't forget the site sponsors.

Caffe Silipo, Coffee Roasters Australia, DiBella and Gilkatho and Veneziano are all in QLD and other site sponsors around the country freight into QLD and handle service there too.

I too have a VBM DS2B. Great machine, I can highly recommend it. Chris also sold me a Duetto II and a Macap a few years back and it's a great machine as well. I use both, depending on which city I'm in at the time Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and for mine the VBM is a little softer on the eye. The VBM steams like a demon, the Izzo is quieter. Swings and roundabouts and you will be happy with either. Don't discount the Duetto until you see one in the flesh.
    TC likes this.

Breno, servicing with Mark and Wayne at coffee roasters Australia on Northern end of the Gold Coast is good. They stock a number of quality machines too.