Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By aaronpratt
  • 2 Post By Paolo

Thread: question for 10k budget

question for 10k budget

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I spoke to a barista once who was getting me to try out his coffee and after a few days he changed machines and the coffee had become very strong, he mentioned a certain type of machine that it was (not brand) and I want to know what it would of been?

I am after something that can compete with the 30k faema at the cafe I go to. I want very strong coffee that won't give me the jitters.

Also I understand the big price tag on the faema may be due to its ability to churn out coffee all day and I may be able to get the same output quality on a much cheaper machine than what my budget is if so I'm liking the faema carisma but the quality must be up to par with a machine 10 times it's cost.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaFi0s0 View Post
    I spoke to a barista once who was getting me to try out his coffee and after a few days he changed machines and the coffee had become very strong, he mentioned a certain type of machine that it was (not brand) and I want to know what it would of been?

I am after something that can compete with the 30k faema at the cafe I go to. I want very strong coffee that won't give me the jitters.

Also I understand the big price tag on the faema may be due to its ability to churn out coffee all day and I may be able to get the same output quality on a much cheaper machine than what my budget is if so I'm liking the faema carisma but the quality must be up to par with a machine 10 times it's cost.
    I suspect that the "barista" was actually just a coffee maker and like so many button pushers, had no real grasp of the process.

A machine is not going to make stronger or weaker coffee, however the nut on the group handle may.

As for your machine, I think you will struggle to find one in Australia and if you do, service and support may be a challenge.

To state that a machine must be on par with a machine 10x its cost is ridiculous. How about you get what you pay for? I suggest you might find that an investment in some training will assist.

Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Going a little off topic here, but this whole "stronger-weaker" coffee thing is becoming one of my pet hates.
    I have people fairly regularly see my setup at home and go, "is that thing to make the coffee stronger...?" to which I just stare at them blankly for a good 5mins.
    THEN I have to spend the next half hour+ trying to explain to them that coffee isn't about being strong or weak...it's about honing in to what each bean has on offer, and enjoying the party in your mouth when you get it right.

Ok...rant over

-Aaron
    TampIt likes this.

In simple terms, it's the grinder rather than the coffee maker that will produce stronger or weaker coffee. Generally, the finer the grind, the stronger the coffee but, by making the coffee stronger in this way, it may also turn out to be bitter.

MaFi0s0, the best advice is to take yourself along to a place that sells espresso machines and get them to demo a few for you. Unless you are going to be churning out heaps of coffee daily, it doesn't make sense to buy a commercial machine. You will have to plumb it in and upgrade your electrical circuitry to supply 15 - 20amps. You will also need a matching grinder.
    My equipment cost me about $3.5K and makes coffee as good as or better than most cafes.

I would say that the 'weaker' or 'stronger' argument is the non snobs use for our 'thin' or 'flavoursome'. The way that we achieve this is a proper extraction which comes from proper training and proper technique - not equipment.

For example..If I pull a 30ml in 20sec shot at work on the Robur and FB80 it will still taste thin, 'weak' and astringent. If I pull a 30ml in 31sec (same bean..same age) on my 6910 and 0480 at home then it will taste sweeter, more body or 'Stronger'.

So save your moneys and get a decent machine and pull good shots and you'll be a happy snob. (If you do want to spend all your money, I would recommend a LM GS3 and a Mazzer of some kind. You will get fantastic, repeatable shots and quick steaming for speed!)

A friend of mine asked me to roast her some "stronger" coffee years ago.

I eventually realised that when she said that she wanted "stronger" she really meant "burn-the-bejabbers-outa-them-beans"....she was after that burnt taste that we here are all avoiding like the plague....
    aaronpratt and TampIt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
    A friend of mine asked me to roast her some "stronger" coffee years ago.

I eventually realised that when she said that she wanted "stronger" she really meant "burn-the-bejabbers-outa-them-beans"....she was after that burnt taste that we here are all avoiding like the plague....
    Agreed, I have had similar experiences with a couple of people. I think I may have had to go to an imaginary CS13 to please their taste buds.

You cant blame them, its what most people grow up with and or get served daily in their adult lives, takes quite a while to rebuild broken palates and learn about all those good flavours that are out there. Most do not have the courage and open mind to pursue new tastes. Taste EVERYTHING

"I'll take my coffee with 3 spoon full of instant coffee and 2 spoonfulls of sugar... because I like my coffee strong!"

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    "I'll take my coffee with 3 spoon full of instant coffee and 2 spoonfulls of sugar... because I like my coffee strong!"
    And make those soup spoons!!

[QUOTE "I'll take my coffee with 3 spoon full of instant coffee and 2 spoonfulls of sugar... because I like my coffee strong!" ----- And make those soup spoons!![/QUOTE]

You guy's had better watch out - if he really has a 10k budget for coffee, he might actually be what his name suggests. So if you poke fun at this this fellow you could wake up to find a horses head beside you !!
    Last edited by leograyson; 1st October 2013 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leograyson View Post

You guy's had better watch out - if he really has a 10k budget for coffee, he might actually be what his name suggests. So if you poke fun at this this fellow you could wake up to find a horses head beside you !!
    No no, there is nothing to worry about folks. I had a laugh

So I went to the distributor today with my fav beans and got the barista there to make me a coffee and it was good, bought the GS3 and a mini grinder.

nice... that is one hell of a machine to start off with
    have fun with the new toy...

Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Wow...wish I could just go down to a distributor and casually pick up a GS3.

Enjoy fellow snob! Will be an epic espresso journey starting off with a GS3!

Stay in touch,
    Mike

Nice buy, I would have at least asked them if you could try a kony v mini on one of their machines they have setup..

I fear you'll be tempted to upgrade your grinder later... ( which you will ). If not for the taste, which i personally couldnt tell the diff between my kony, k10 and mini mazzer, but just for the fact you will have a grinder that compliments your machine ( in other people's mind ) in monetary value ( and bragging rights, which is very strong in coffee circles ... )

Cheers

wonder

Stronger=more flavour
    Stronger=more caffeine
    Stronger=more bitterness
    Stronger=deeper roast
    Stronger=more concentrated
    Stronger=???

Whenever somebody says "stronger" I ask them what they mean. Only people who are really interested get any sort of explanation.

Greg
    finally old enough to be too old to put up with fools--and get away with it