Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brendogs

Thread: BoEma 2 Group Restoration - Circa 1960's

BoEma 2 Group Restoration - Circa 1960's

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ok!

So I've got my hands on this machine, as per title it's a circa 1960's BoEma lever machine which I acquired a few months ago and haven't had a chance to start cleaning it up.

Now that I've come back from oversea's I've decided to dig into this machine and see how it all goes!

Initially I wanted to purchase a vintage lever machine and do a nice restoration to it and get it looking original and operational. Upon receiving this machine I realized that a handful of items were missing (ie; drip tray, group handles, steam wands and the other steam wand seems to have been modified) and/or non original so I now know that my idea of doing rebuild/cleanup is off the cards because I'm going to have to get new part's made up. Some panels are warped so they'll also need some panel beating to get them back into correct shape. I hope to keep it as original as possible so wish me luck!

Plan of attack so far is this.

-Dismantle machine and clean all parts
    -Replace all seals/gaskets
    -Acquire grouphandles somehow
    -Possibly repaint frame and panels
    -Get new drip tray somehow, possibly remake
    -Clean all shiny bits, possibly polish all stainless steel plates
    -Reassemble machine
    -Drink awesome coffee

I really really really wanted to stay away from repainting and polishing but I'm afraid I have no choice because it look's like I'm going to have to get a new drip tray made up and it's going to be brand new so it will stand out compared to the rest of the machine!!! Grrrr

Anyway I've attached a few photo's and I'll keep adding progress pics!

Enjoy

-Brendon

SAM_0298 (Medium).JPG

SAM_0299 (Medium).JPG

SAM_0308 (Medium).JPG

SAM_0309 (Medium).JPG

SAM_0310 (Medium).JPG

No Asbestos? Maybe someone beforehand, removed it.
    Restoring vintage machines is personal. Some like to do a full restore, so it looks like new, others like the "aged" look. It depends on the type of machine, model, scarcity etc, etc. I have seen a Boema lever refurbished so that it was like new. Actually better than new, as it was a work in progress and was being pimped up with new panels etc. It looked fantastic. The owner went this way, as he believed his machine did not have the antique value of a Faema or Gaggia. It also had a bit of damage, so a rebuild was easier.
    Anyway, good luck with your project and thanks for sharing your progress.

Well that's the position I'm taking on this machine. It doesn't have the vintage value of the Faema or Gaggia but does hold it's own history in this land. I have no choice but to restore it to brand new condition ie repaint and repolish the whole lot. I can't afford to have brand new shiny group handles and a brand new drip tray while the group heads and the stainless backing plate look aged, it just won't look right. By the looks of things it's been rebuilt in the past 10 years or so. I didn't come across any Asbestos which leads me to believe it was revived at one stage.

All parts have been cleaned up fairly nicely so I'll get these photo's up tonight!

PS, part's are proving haaaaaaaaarddd to find!
    Pretzal likes this.

So after one cleaning session this is where I'm at. It's going to need a couple more cleans though but it's progress!

Bit of pre and post citric bath

SAM_0347 (Medium).JPG

SAM_0357 (Medium).JPG

SAM_0366 (Medium).JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

A shot of the boiler

SAM_0382 (Medium).JPG

G,Day ..I am restoring or more like just polishing up and replacing seals of an A3 1964 boema 2 group ...it's going smoothly . I should post some pics ..it's very similar to yours