Thread: Turn a plumbed machine into a portable machine

Turn a plumbed machine into a portable machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys! Long time reader, first time poster! I need some help, not sure if this is the right spot to post this. I have a two group Wega machine that is plumbed in but I wanted to change it so it can be portable. I was just seeing if this is possible, how I would do it and what I need. Cheers.

TC
    Welcome Forky,

Assuming your inlet hose is long enough, You will need to purchase a suitable non return valve and a drum for your water. Site sponsors such as Coffeeparts will be able to assist.

Good luck!

Chris

Hey, I converterd my machine at home the same way. I have a 2 group (15A) San Remo Capri. It's a plumbed in version. I just bought one of the Brita 5L rectangle water jugs with the spout. Took the spout off and went to a hose and fittings shop to find the right fittings so I could plumb it in. So basically, I run my machine off a filtered water container.

I also installed a shut off valve in case I needed to remove the hose for servicing in the future (didn't want to have to empty a whole 5L jug by tipping it out before I can remove the hose). I didn't do this but ideally you'd also run a one-way valve so that you don't get back-flow into your filtered water container.
    20131031_113830 (576x1024).jpg20131031_113845 (576x1024).jpg

Hey guys,
    Cheers for the quick responses. I have a one way valve and hose already I just needed to know where to fit that into the machine end and does it need any pressure to actually pull the water in or will it do that itself? Like once I fit this valve and hose and they attach a length of hose to it into the water container it will pull the water up?
    I have water containers and wastage containers ready to roll.
    Also, why doesn't my enter button work? haha

Quote Originally Posted by Forky View Post
    Hey guys,
    Cheers for the quick responses. I have a one way valve and hose already I just needed to know where to fit that into the machine end and does it need any pressure to actually pull the water in or will it do that itself? Like once I fit this valve and hose and they attach a length of hose to it into the water container it will pull the water up?
    I have water containers and wastage containers ready to roll.
    Also, why doesn't my enter button work? haha
    Not sure if I follow what you mean about where to fit the hose and one-way valve on the machine end.

As far as feed/line pressure goes, you'll have to consult your manual. Mine only has a max feed/line pressure rating. I believe my pump has a 6 bars max feed rating and the manual said that I would need to install a pressure regulator if my feed pressure was greater than 6 bars. My pump worked fine for pulling water out of the container which would have negligible feed pressure.

Hope this helps!

Hi Ben. I think you pretty much answered my question. There is a pump in the machine which draws the water up yeah? Like I don't need a separate pump if it is coming from a water container with no pressure. Follow?

This is the cord I have and was told it is what I will need.

Quote Originally Posted by Forky View Post
    Hi Ben. I think you pretty much answered my question. There is a pump in the machine which draws the water up yeah? Like I don't need a separate pump if it is coming from a water container with no pressure. Follow?
    OK, so it sounds like your machine has an internal pump. Some machines require an external pump. If your pump does not need to see any pressure at all to work then yes all you need to do is hook it up directly. Not knowing exactly what your machine is and what your pump specifications are, I can't quite say one way or the other. It doesn't hurt to just try and hook it up and run it.

To err on the side of caution, just make sure you're quick on the "off" in case the pump doesn't suck and is running dry. Dry-running pumps over an extended period will damage them.

That looks like your standard braided hose (3/8" I think) with a nipple coupling to a one-way valve I think? Pretty standard fit-up usually. Is there a braided hose line that already comes out from your machine though? Usually there's one already coming from the pump.