Thread: Brasilia Portofino Del 2 pressure adjustments

Brasilia Portofino Del 2 pressure adjustments

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've scoured the web as best as I can and found the information for adjusting the pressurestat, but I can't seem to find any literature on adjusting the brew pressure other than a setting of 9 bars. According to the user manual it can be adjusted by "using the screw located on the pump bypass". I adjusted what I thought was the pump bypass (blue arrow), but had no change in deflection- I'm universally at 6bar with occasional fluctuation. If this is not the pump bypass or from where brew pressure can be adjusted, please educate me . If it is, what are some other T/S steps I can try to get the pressure up?

On a separate note, the green arrow is pointing to what I believe is the boiler water level. Just curious if anyone can confirm that for me.

Thanks, all!

Brasilia Portofino 1997 2GR/P project Hi I just acquired a Brasilia Portofino 1997 2GR/P which I gather is similar to yours at a local auction. My intention is to use it on occasions when we entertain in numbers and have installed in a covered area in an verandah. I plumbed it in to a gulley trap (with a bombora filter) and use a 15A extension cord to a dedicated 16A circuit (usually for an air conditioner) which has a safety switch. Not sure if it is poor etiquette to post here but I am a relative newbie and not sure how to go about it. My apologies if I should not have jumped in. If a moderator can move it to a new thread I would be happy to post pics. Anyway I built a mobile trolley for it and now in a position to test it. Checked it out OK and it appears to basically work. The autofill worked, the heater controls work and it came up to 9 bar on the gauge. Steam and hot water work. However problems with the group heads One seems to work but dirty brown water, the other appears clogged. They are the old style Brasilia groups. Believe it needs a descale. Have read all the Brasilia posts here and some others and now have a pretty good general idea what to do. However would appreciate any tips on especially descaling the HX part of the unit including the groups. Also I only found out after I bought it that Rossi went broke last year and bought some ceramic steam valve parts, a spare element and Group seals from Coffee Parts. Are there any other parts I should get while they are available, especially needed for the old style groups?

[QUOTE=
    On a separate note, the green arrow is pointing to what I believe is the boiler water level. Just curious if anyone can confirm that for me.
    Thanks, all![/QUOTE] Believe that is correct. Is called the autofill (water level) probe on the Cafeparts page Coffee Parts | Brasilia Spare Parts - Water Level Set-Ups

Thanks, Ted. Your link was very helpful. I identified the water sensor, but it was not the green arrow. It's actually out of the picture, a little further to the right and driven directly into the broiler. The green arrow is pointing to something that looks (to me) like a pop off valve, and it's on it's own separate copper run. Not sure why there would be one as the actual pop off valve is on the right side of the picture.

More troubleshooting/trial and error have educated me on some things:
    the blue arrow is the adjustment for brew pressure. The 6 bars i was getting was my pressure from the spigot. The motor is not running. Haven't tested the cap yet, but the owner mentioned smelling burning electronics a while back so i'm adding two and two and assuming i'll need to replace or rewind the motor. Yay...

Quote Originally Posted by mgarst View Post
    Thanks, Ted. Your link was very helpful. I identified the water sensor, but it was not the green arrow. It's actually out of the picture, a little further to the right and driven directly into the broiler. The green arrow is pointing to something that looks (to me) like a pop off valve, and it's on it's own separate copper run. Not sure why there would be one as the actual pop off valve is on the right side of the picture.

More troubleshooting/trial and error have educated me on some things:
    the blue arrow is the adjustment for brew pressure. The 6 bars i was getting was my pressure from the spigot. The motor is not running. Haven't tested the cap yet, but the owner mentioned smelling burning electronics a while back so i'm adding two and two and assuming i'll need to replace or rewind the motor. Yay...
    Glad that was useful. You should find all the diagrams in Coffeeparts Brasilia spare parts useful. I also downloaded all the manuals I could find for various Brasilia Portofino models from the Brasilia USA site. What I found was that different manuals covered more than others. Some include wiring diagrams and give some service tips while others did not. I am trying to build up a composite service manual for my unit by cutting and pasting these and other info. I have decided to dismantle the Groupheads and clean them before descaling. Can anyone advise how to remove the solenoid valve plug (Part Number: 615978) from an early version Brasilia group (eg does it just pull out or does it need to be unscrewed etc). The schematic is here Coffee Parts | Brasilia Spare Parts - 1a / BE Group Heads and Portafilters

Quote Originally Posted by mgarst View Post

The motor is not running. Haven't tested the cap yet, but the owner mentioned smelling burning electronics a while back so i'm adding two and two and assuming i'll need to replace or rewind the motor. Yay...
    I am no expert on coffee machines but know a bit about electronics and motors. Think it unlikely the motor has failed unless the pump has jammed. Easy to check by taking the pump and motor out and by putting 240V (carefully) across the motor with the pump removed. For safety use a fused circuit with a safety switch and be aware that 240V can kill. Think there is a small electronic part in one of the small boxes in the unit which may have caused the smell and need replacing. Could also be the cause of the pump not working. The capacitor should be pretty easy to replace if faulty though I doubt it caused the smell as there does not seem to be any burning signs on it. Lets hope someone knowledgeable about Brasilias jumps in.

[QUOTE=Ted2013 However problems with the group heads One seems to work but dirty brown water, the other appears clogged. They are the old style Brasilia groups. Believe it needs a descale. Have read all the Brasilia posts here and some others and now have a pretty good general idea what to do. However would appreciate any tips on especially descaling the HX part of the unit including the groups. [/QUOTE] With some help from Coffeeparts I have got my Portofino working properly. The unit certainly needed descaling. The reason one group was not working was a clogged jet in the top of the group. From a suggestion from Coffeeparts I descaled the boiler by filling it with descaler from the top after unscrewing the pipe to one of the steam valves. After leaving it for an hour or so I drained it by removing the tap in to bottom of the boiler. Did this a couple of times with a number of coldwater flushes in between and after. This was with the machine not connected to electricity or water. Also descaled the HX by removing the Groupheads and soaking them in Coffee detergent and then descaler and by filling the HX systems with descaler and later flushing. I was very impressed by the Portofino design which makes servicing a breeze. Even though Rossi went broke last year most critical parts are common to other machines so will remain available and the Brasilia specific parts are currently available from Coffeeparts. Potential purchasers should not be put off buying a Brasilia but should
    consider stocking on these critical spares while they are available.

Potential purchasers should definitely be put off buying Brasilia machines as they are now obsolete. They are no longer supported by the manufacturer which no longer exists. Consequently, aftermarket support for these machines will also diminish. Look what happened to VFA-Expres, dead five years now. You can't even repair steam and water valves anymore because parts are not available. Is it a sound decision to buy an obsolete machine that will require hacking and cobbling to get them repaired again? The answer is no. Everyone is trying to sell espresso machines for the same amount of money, therefore it is easy to find blue-chip machines at the same price with all parts still available direct from the manufacturer. Why shoot yourself in the foot?

[QUOTE=skydragondave; You can't even repair steam and water valves anymore because parts are not available. Is it a sound decision to buy an obsolete machine that will require hacking and cobbling to get them repaired again? The answer is no. Everyone is trying to sell espresso machines for the same amount of money, therefore it is easy to find blue-chip machines at the same price with all parts still available direct from the manufacturer. Why shoot yourself in the foot?[/QUOTE]

Skydragondave, what you write is not correct. Coffeeparts currently have the parts required to refurbish steam and water valves for Brasilias as well as other critical parts. I bought a spare set while they are available along with a spare element and seals. Most of the other parts likely to fail are not unique to Brasilias and are commonly used. I do not regret buying mine which admittedly will only be getting light use from here on in. I was particularly impressed with the design of the Brasilla Portofino 2Gr Semiautomatic which makes it a breeze to service. Are most other commercial machines made as well in respect to ease of service?

The ones I would avoid for home use are the fully automatic ones as the electronic parts in them would be problematical to a novice like me. I use mine in a semi outdoor area when we entertain larger groups and at a tad over $500 it was very affordable.

If it came to a crunch I would be happy to cobble and hack as you put it given the innate quality of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by skydragondave View Post
    You can't even repair steam and water valves anymore because parts are not available.
    We service quite a few Portofinos, and while ceramic tap rebuild kits are still available we just retrofit the 'new model' steam taps that are identical to taps used on several other brands, apart from the smaller thread diameter where the steam wand adapter attaches. They are readily available aftermarket, and use Rancilio tap washers and 010 size o-rings as shaft seals which are also a commonly stocked part (they are the same part as used as seals on 3 way valves).

Quote Originally Posted by MorganGT View Post
    We service quite a few Portofinos, and while ceramic tap rebuild kits are still available we just retrofit the 'new model' steam taps that are identical to taps used on several other brands, apart from the smaller thread diameter where the steam wand adapter attaches. They are readily available aftermarket, and use Rancilio tap washers and 010 size o-rings as shaft seals which are also a commonly stocked part (they are the same part as used as seals on 3 way valves).
    MorganGT that's good news

The only quirky thing I have found with my machine is that a previous owner seem to have replaced one of the gigleurs (jets in the top of the Groups) with one with a smaller jet (I think 0.6mm instead of the standard 0.8mm). At the moment we get a much better crema out of the standard one. Is this a matter of technique or should I drill the smaller jet to .8mm?

Gigleur jet mod

Quote Originally Posted by Ted2013 View Post
    The only quirky thing I have found with my machine is that a previous owner seem to have replaced one of the gigleurs (jets in the top of the Groups) with one with a smaller jet (I think 0.6mm instead of the standard 0.8mm). At the moment we get a much better crema out of the standard one. Is this a matter of technique or should I drill the smaller jet to .8mm?
    Think I might have the answer to my question about the gigleur jet. Cannonfodder at Home Barista explained about using bike carb jets in expresso machines. I expect that was has happened in my machine. Anyway with a bit of experimentation I can now get good crema out of the modded GH so all is well. Might make a trip to the bike shop though to see if I can get some different jet sizes to experiment with.

Just to recap on my original post. Ted, you were right, the motor was fine. I'm almost embarrassed to admit what happened. I took everything apart in anticipation of having to replace the motor (a new one sits on the floor in my bedroom), and found that the pump had seized. I broke it free and ran vinegar through it for a while and now it's turning smoothly. After, I checked the motor and found it wasn't getting power.... More troubleshooting revealed a blown fuse on the electronics circuit board which I replaced from Ace Hardware for 45. Made some adjustments and now everything is running smoothly. Too smoothly in fact- I'm getting called out to look at other machines now!