Thread: Faema E98 S1 No boiler pressure

Faema E98 S1 No boiler pressure

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

My Faema E98 is no longer heating the water in the machine and it's not building up any pressure.

The last time i used my machine, the steam wand must have been left open ever so slightly. As a result I noticed that the boiler level indicator showed that the boiler had no water in it. It must've drained the water in the boiler because the steam wand was left opened, which must have caused the boiler pressure to drop.

I then refilled the boiler and the machine still won't heat the water or build up pressure. I thought that if there was not enough water in the boiler that it would automatically shut-off.

Any ideas on what it could be and how to fix it?

Thanks.

I suspect a new boiler element is called for Adam.

Yes, especially if the boiler ran dry. You could check for power at the element to confirm, assuming you are qualified to work with live power etc etc. Or check for continuity of the element with the machine (and element) unplugged.

Cheers

thanks for your replies. It seems like it is the element.

I actually had refilled the boiler after it happened - so I now have a full boiler that I need to drain as well as replacing the element.

I couldnt see anywhere where I could drain the boiler, is it possible to manually drain the boiler on this machine?

My Faema has a drain port on the side of the boiler. It is a barb you can attach a hose to, them crack the nut open on the barn and water drains out.

The other way is just unscrew the element and have a container to catch the water.

Cheers

TOK
    Or, if you cant readily find a drain plug, you could be super cunning and undo one of the unions on top of the boiler to insert a hose with which to syphon out the contents. Its a lot less messy..... I am not familiar with the specific machine but if the anti vac valve is on top of the boiler, that would be the first port of call.

I don't think the S1 has a drain plug on the side of the boiler like the A1.

I found this article on the LaCimbali Junior DT1 and I cant see a drain plug like they have in the photo.

LaCimbali Junior DT1 - Materials and Workmanship • Home-Barista.com

Ive taken some photos and I cant see anywhere that resembles a drain plug, - maybe I am missing something?
    Attached Images Attached Images

TOK
    Not really....lots of machines dont have drain plugs

The item labelled "d" in the second pic in your link is the drain. Looks like yours does not have it. As others have mentioned, drain it through one of the other fittings, the anti vac valve is probably the easiest. Either syphon or tilt the machine over.

Cheers

I think I'll siphon it as tipping it upside down might get messy.

To refill the boiler after I swap out the element, can I just use a funnel to pour the water directly into boiler through the hole where anti vac valve goes?

You could do that I guess, or just let the pump fill it.

You could disconnect the boiler element terminals initially if you were really worried about the element being dry on initial power up.

Not sure if your machine is the same as mine, but on mine if the boiler needs filling and there is not enough water in the tank, the element is turned off.

Cheers

TOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1982 View Post
    I think I'll siphon it as tipping it upside down might get messy.

To refill the boiler after I swap out the element, can I just use a funnel to pour the water directly into boiler through the hole where anti vac valve goes?
    Good idea to err on the side of discretion and do that instead of allowing it to fill itself under power.....just in case....

I drained the boiler and removed the element. I siphoned as much as i could out before removing the element and catching any water that was left in there.

New element will go in tomorrow.

I drained the boiler and removed the element. I siphoned as much as i could out before removing the element and catching any water that was left in there.

New element will go in tomorrow.
    Have you already purchased the element? From memory there was a safety cutoff somewhere which prevents the element burning out. Essentially all it was is a red button which you have to push pretty hard to get. Once you hear a "click" it should reset itself and heat up again. If you haven't purchased the element already it's worth a try.

But the element looks ready to be replace anyway from the pics.
    Last edited by saoye; 23rd December 2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: saw the photos

That red button sits on the end of the boiler. I pushed it, filled the boiler and turned the machine on and nothing happened.

The machine is about 11 years old and seeing the scale build up on the element really drives home the importance of using only filtered water.
    Last edited by Adam1982; 24th December 2013 at 05:36 AM.

Here's a picture.

I really love at how easy these machines are to work on

I picked up a new element yesterday from Coffeeparts and installed it.

The machine is now back up and running as normal.

Woohoo, great work. Christmas coffee!!

Cheers

One thing I forgot to mention is that the original LaCimbali element had two holes for where the thermostat should sit but the Coffeeparts one did not have these holes.

So if anyone was to do this in the future and wanted to keep the thermostat they would need to drill the two holes themselves into the boiler element.

I picked up a new element yesterday from Coffeeparts and installed it.

The machine is now back up and running as normal.
    Pleased to hear you got it sorted out Adam.