Thread: Aurora Lever on Ebay

Aurora Lever on Ebay

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    First off I know it's not the done thing to discuss current Ebay auctions here, but at the moment there's an Aurora lever up for grabs so naturally using one myself I had a bit of a squizz.
    So here's what I can tell from the pics, compared to mine it is a later build I believe mine is a early 70's this one looks to be later.
    The surround and and top look non genuine, looks like they have been fabricated and not very neatly at that.
    These machines have two types of HX, a horseshoe type entering and exiting through the end plate and piped up to the group mount which this doesn't have, the other HX runs straight through the boiler to the group mount, but this one has the HX feed line disconnected, I don't know what's going on here.
    There's also a dipper tube model but the one seen on this site features a larger boiler.
    The drip tray doesn't look right, it looks like it's off something else to me, the drainer looks made up, mine is cast.
    And the knobs appear to have been cut down.
    A picture's worth a thousand words here's a link to a nice example with the earlier HX, Aurora Brugnetti Europa/Termozona
    If considering bidding I suggest doing a bit of research first.

I've been watching this guy eagerly and just as you are have been intrigued by the disconnected HX plumbing and non standard case. It really does look like someone has done some major fiddling at some point. I've been after a big project for a while and If I pick it up I was intending on reconnecting the HX. I can't tell if it even has the HX tube anymore so one may need to be fabricated. I'd also like to redo the case more like others I've seen of here and on other forums.
    I'd be very interested to know the history on this one.
    Last edited by Gustopher; 30th December 2013 at 01:18 PM.

I really don't know what's going on with the HX feed line, I can only guess it has been converted to a dipper tube, the rear of the group of mine is tapped 1/4" BSP for a tube, but the dipper model has a larger boiler, the one which was on this site had something like a 11 litre boiler compared to the 5 litre boiler of the HX model.

Either that or possibly the HX line has been replumbed directly into the bottom of the boiler? Making a sort if external dipper? It's really is quite intriguing. No real way to know without pulling the boiler cap off and having a look.
    The water feed is the HX type with a manual boiler fill and a second pipe fitting that stays connected to mains constantly, though it has been disconnected on this machine. That rules out any current HX connection.

jmc
    I went to have a look at it and IMHO it is a parts bin special. The case is non genuine, and rough, as is the cup tray and drip tray.
    No HX, but temps could be easily tamed by teflon Group / Boiler gaskets.
    I don't think it is viable as a project.
    But. If someone wants a Lever which will make great coffee and doesn't really care about the looks it may be a reasonable buy.
    The seller seems to be genuine and says he has had it for 15 years. ( probably true ).
    It fires up ok, has a working Sirai, doesn't seem to leak. It should be a simple matter of connecting it up.

Thanks for taking the time for giving us a report jmc much appreciated.

Winning bid was $1000.00 which seems a lot for what it was so maybe it was just a "vendor bid" and it will pop up for sale again.