Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hornoscous

Thread: Project: Expobar Megacrem 2 Group Coffee Station without mains water plumbing

Project: Expobar Megacrem 2 Group Coffee Station without mains water plumbing

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a while but thought it was my time to finally post and share my little project i completed over the Christmas break.

I picked up what I think was a pretty good 2nd hand (but great condition) deal:

Expobar Megacrem 2-group compact (5 years old but low usage and serviced annually)
    Fiorenzato F5 Grinder
    in line water filter
    1 x single and 2 x double group handles
    A whole swag of accessories including tamper, jugs, about 70 cups and saucers (crap cups but cups nonetheless), syrups, boxes of tea, sugar, chai and choc powder.

All up cost me $2050.

Despite being the compact version, its still too big to fit in my kitchen. I decided to build a cabinet for it and run it off bottled water pumped with a flojet pump. I bought the cabinet and bench top from IKEA and the Flojet pump from the US through Amazon. All up the whole project cost me $2800 and its now making me better coffee every day

Below are some photos from the project which is now up and running and forcing to learn the finer arts of coffee very quickly I had a laugh.

I'm hoping if there are people out there that are looking to do the same thing that this might help. It is a VERY easy system to set up.

The thing I love about this mahcine is that it runs off a 10A plug so is perfectly suited to my coffee station. it reaches boiler pressure in about 8 minutes. While I'm still learning the principles of making good coffee, this setup should give me great practice which I can hopefully use to get a part time job as a barista somewhere on the weekends.

I would love some feedback regarding this, especially since I am new to this and if something doesn't look right with my plumbing, or all the pro's out there can give me some tips or pointers, I would love that. On the contrary if anyone wants any more info on this, I'd love to share to fellow coffeesnobbers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (338.8 KB, 127 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (336.7 KB, 110 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (324.8 KB, 119 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (286.5 KB, 125 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (356.5 KB, 123 views)
    smokey likes this.

great job, looks terrific, well done!

Nice one, I am building something similar but on castors. Currently playing around with size to see how small I can make it while still being functional. Hoping to get away with 600mm of cabinet with around 850mm of benchtop.

Terrigal, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
    Hi I'm starting a coffee cart and need some help?
    iv been looking for a 2group machine that will keep up with the demand at events/markets etc..
    Found and a 2 group expobar mega crem compact 10amp 6lt boiler, will I have any troubles with this machine??
    need help

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneo View Post
    Found and a 2 group expobar mega crem compact 10amp 6lt boiler, will I have any troubles with this machine??
    need help
    Most likely unsuitable as the capacity is too low. My advice is that you will need a 2 group conventional with a larger boiler. This level of machine will generally require 15A

TOK
    +1.

If the object of getting set up to go to events is to make money, you need to buy a full sized espresso machine in very good condition (ie, no cheap rubbish that will break down and cost money). Suggest a relatively late model...again no cheap / older stuff as it will only let you down and suck away the hard earned...

Hi Kaneo,

I agree with the others here. I have that exact machine and its great for me and also for when i have guests over. It can handle quite a bit as far as personal use goes, but I think if you started using one for events the 6L boiler would start to let you down. I don't think it would handle a rush. Go for a larger machine with a larger boiler. If it takes up more space and costs you slightly more, but keeps your customers (and the event organisers) happy then its a much better investment.

Let me just say that for home use, while a little self indulgent and possibly a bit extravagant, the expobar megacrem 2 group compact is fantastic and has kept up very well with everything I've thrown at it (I haven't thrown an event at it yet :P)

Thank you all for your response's, it has given me a few other machine choices
    to go with. I have been told though that the expobar machine had been used at past events and went well.

Following up on what you guys have said and a few other coffee machine suppliers have told me you all have the same answer.
    Thanks again. Time to do some more coffee machine homework

Hi all just an update, getting still a mega crem but it's a high two group 15amp and a compac k6 grinder
    ended up buying a stainless steal cart with all the trimming. Got a few markets already lined up and a couple of regular spots to go to and that's all before I'm up and running, will be doing a few test runs to work out any kinks.
    coffee is local so will be fresh and also at a good price.
    Thanks for all the help on here.