Thread: Expobar Rebuild

Expobar Rebuild

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Thanks for the feedback Coffeesnobs

I measured the boiler up, its about 190mm in diameter and 180mm high

so 2(pi)r2 + 2(pi)r x h = 0.165 m2 with the longest strip about 0.6 meters in length.

With regards to heating up a small boiler (and from my homeostasis classes at first year uni) the rate of heat gain/loss is explained by the surface area : volume ratio. A small boiler has a small volume (less energy to heat up), but a comparatively larger area to loose the heat from. A larger boiler may take more energy to heat, but the surface area to loose the heat to is comparatively smaller, the potential rate of heat loss is slower. Think of the heat loss/gain of a small child in the cold as opposed to an adult. This was my justification for the insulation anyway.

I have included a couple of pics of my machine. Im a bit embarrassed, its still a work in progress.

The first shot was taken when I picked it up, note the milk residue on the steam wand (the grinder hopper is out of the photo) I thought twice about getting the two in one grinder/machine combo, but space is a bit of an issue. The grinder turns out to be the makings of a Cunill Marfil so I was pleasantly surprised.

Photo two is the current state. See if you can count how many parts have been removed? Im keen on insulating it, now I have access to the spotlessly clean and naked boiler. Ive had it for two months now and it is yet to pull its first shot. Not sure I can hold out much longer!

Fingers crossed someone may still have a bit of silicone left over.

Cheers

ExpoMCM

Resized image to 640 x 480 profile

Mal.

Re: New Poll to firm up Pricing for Boiler Insulat

And here is photo 2. *Photo isnt the best quality, but once it is all hooked up Ill take some decent photos. *Looks like I need to work on my posting technique as well.....

Photo two is the current state. *See if you can count how many parts have been removed? *Im keen on insulating it, now I have access to the spotlessly clean and naked boiler. *Ive had it for two months now and it is yet to pull its first shot. *Not sure I can hold out much longer!

ExpoMCM

Youll be pretty happy when all the work is done though MCM,

Sitting back and enjoying one God Shot after another...... Bliss 8-)

Mal.

Thought the volumetric touch pads looked familiar -- same as on my Grimac.

Nice to know I can probably buy them from an alternative source, and probably cheaper -- if ever the occasion arises.

Good luck with the project,

--Robusto

Re: Expobar Rebuild

Mal thanks for the help.

The electrics are branded Gicar and are quite common parts....nice.

Might have another go over easter doing some tinkering. The only bits I havent removed (accept for the electricals) are the water/steam handles. I have worked my way back from the boiler and have removed both of the wands, but cant seem to get the white caps off the handles (and assume there is a relieving nut under the cap). They dont seem to want to flick off and there is no visible thread on them either. Any advice?

I also found this part sitting under the motor during the disassembly. I canít find a spot where it fits, does anyone know what its for?

ExpoMCM.

Guess the mystery item.... :-/

Cooling fan for the motor? Any chance it fits on the motor shaft at the other end from the pump.....

Or maybe it was off the previous motor..... the serviceman got slack and left it there......

Found lots of redundant bits left in my machine. ::)

Looks a bit like a propeller.
    Robusto might know.

Its a computer keyboard!

No, seriously...fans that are made with staight blades like the one in the pic are generally used in conjunction with low revving motors. They are noisy and inefficient at high speeds, so that might give you a clue???

The pump is powered by a water wheel? ::)

Haha thats what i was thinking to:P

Not much chop as a propeller, and not quite the right vane shape for an impeller.

-Robusto

Thanks to Dean, the fan problem has been solved, you were all around the mark.

The fan attaches to the spindle at the base of the grinder and is meant to cool the motor as it spins. Not so sure how effective it is.

ExpoMCM