Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: Vibiemme Domobar Super 2b

Vibiemme Domobar Super 2b

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello All,

I just thought I'd start a thread for any Vibiemme Domobar Super 2b owners out there.

ESPRESSO

I've had mine for about 1 month now, and it's performed faultlessly. Then again, I've never had to make more than two coffee's in a row in that time, so I don't know how it goes with more - does anyone know?

I find it needs about 30min minimum to make espresso, but 45 min appears to be better, which means it may be closer to the hour mark to reach true temperature stability. I will generally wait the hour now, and I'm never disappointed by the quality of the espresso - it comes out with a very think crema every time.

The heating seems to take longer than my old Expobar Minore 3 - I'll put that down to the somewhat larger E61 grouphead.

STEAM PRESSURE & MICROFOAM

For anyone that tries one in store - be aware that the stock steam tip has a plastic 'restrictor' (I don't know the proper name for it) on the inside, that once removed, increases the amount of steam by a bit more than double.

I previously owned an Expobar Minore 3 - it made wonderful espresso, but I was always disappointed in the steam pressure. Even increasing the pressurestat on the Expobar and changing to a larger steam tip did not noticably increase steam pressure. I now put that down to the set up of the 'no burn steam wand' which has a plastic tube on the inside of the wand - separated from the wand. This means that the plastic tube itself restricts the steam. I noticed that the Rocket r58 has a 'no burn steam wand' and I steered away from it for that reason.

By contrast, the Vibiemme (and I'm sure many that don't have no burn steam wands) has a large passage for the steam to travel down - meaning you can make use of the full range of steam pressure.

Prior to the discovery that the plastic restrictor was removable, I was having trouble achieving microfoam. From what I read, I seem to be one of the few who finds it easier to microfoam the more pressure I have - I even prefer that this is done quicker. With that restrictor in the steam tip, there was no swirl, and definitely no (as I prefer) rolling swirl (it sort of folds back in on itself as it swirls) in my milk jug. After removing that little plastic restrictor, I suddenly had both swirl and roll going, and without really trying, ended up with microfoam.

STEAM TIPS (as in the tip of the steam wand, not tips on how to microfoam)

Prior to discovering the plastic restrictor in the stock steam tip, I tried ordering other 10mm steam tips...but there's a problem with this. The Vibiemme's steam wands thread stops about 1mm before the conical part that is supposed to meet up with the steam tip...but aftermarket steam tips have thread right to the end. What this means is that when you put an aftermarket steam tip on it, it doesn't meet up with the conical part of the steam wand that it is meant to join with...and when you turn the steam one, water then leaks out.

Does anyone know suitable steam tips? I've tried doing searches without luck.

ROTARY PUMP

The rotary pump is a lot quieter than a vibrating pump, but I was still surprised by the level of noise. Don't get me wrong, it's not at all irritating - I was just under the impression that they were fairly silent - but this is obviously in comparison to a vibrating pump. Overall the rotary pump is much quieter - you can actually have a conversation while pulling a shot.

ASCETICS, STAINLESS STEEL, and FUNCTIONALITY

The Vibiemme is a wonderful looking machine. It sits well on my standard sized kitchen benchtop.

The stainless walls looks like about 1.5mm thick, but that's just a guess.

The thickness of the stainless steel cover of the driptray is quite thin - you can feel flex in it with even a moderate amount of pressure. This however is only minor criticism...and one I make probably only because I was so spoiled by the thickness of my old Expobar's stainless steel.

I do have a more major criticism of the drip tray. Once you remove the drip train and empty it - it is rather fiddly to re-insert. First you have to fit the drip tray down over the vertical walls - but in order to do this on my machine, you have to push one of the walls in so that drip tray can hook over the top of both vertical walls. Then when you push it forward - it has to squeeze under a horizontal piece of metal just prior to the main machine - meaning I have to lift the drip train on an angle and 'force' it under. It's not difficult to do this - but it is really poor designing to make something that should be simple, fiddly.

You will need space above it to allow the water tank to be removed - you have to lift it upwards.

The water reservoir itself is a pathetic 2L. This means plenty of refilling. It is also an open top water container, which means you can't fill it all the way to the top, as when you put it in the machine, you would be likely to spill some (if it was too full). I prefer tanks with a hole in the top.

But I would rather use the water tank than plumb it in, because I have a very good water filter, and using filtered water saves on maintenance and machine life...and I don't want the coffee taste tainted by chlorine. Likely one would be able to attach a filter in a way that allows the 'plumbed in' to work, but I don't think I can be bothered.

OVERALL IMPRESSION

Despite some shortcomings, the actual espresso making ability of the Super 2b is absolutely wonderful. To me it is a definite step up from the old Minore 3.

Good read. Thanks for sharing. I have the Domobar Super Lever and was wondering whether to upgrade to the double boiler. Didn't know of the restrictor in the steam tip nor the smaller size of the water reservoir and wondered if the rotary was quieter than the vibrating pump. Seems you have answered most of my thoughts in one go.

Many years of great espresso to you.

Cheers.

Interesting read. I own a super lever, yet I got a free upgrade when I bought it to a rotary pump. I notice that it is quiet, as I had a rancillio Silvia before that.
    The only issue I have is that low water level does not trip the cut off switch for the pump. I just need to fill the water before it gets to the bottom.
    Apart from that it is a fantastic machine

Quote Originally Posted by Woopee View Post
    Good read. Thanks for sharing. I have the Domobar Super Lever and was wondering whether to upgrade to the double boiler. Didn't know of the restrictor in the steam tip nor the smaller size of the water reservoir and wondered if the rotary was quieter than the vibrating pump.
    I imagine you could buy a rotary pump and install it out get out installed if noise is a problem

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenz View Post
    Interesting read. I own a super lever, yet I got a free upgrade when I bought it to a rotary pump. I notice that it is quiet, as I had a rancillio Silvia before that.
    The only issue I have is that low water level does not trip the cut off switch for the pump. I just need to fill the water before it gets to the bottom.
    Apart from that it is a fantastic machine
    What the? Is the machine being run from the tank or plumbed in?

If it's being run from the tank, the job was decidedly dodgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post

Hey, no it is a factory option that you can get. It has the option of running from tank or plumbed in. There is a switch on the bottom of the machine for the water source. Plus option for drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post

Wow! - a Site Sponsor working on information that is at least 12 months out of date!

Sorry mate, but the Domobar Super HX with rotary pump (standard version) has been available for at least 12months in NZ as a tank/plumbed in option - the base unit comes with tank as default but the plumb in additional parts are included in the pack - buy it, decide, make it happen.

I thought the whole concept of buying from a site sponsor was that you got accurate and up-to-date information?

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Wow! - a Site Sponsor working on information that is at least 12 months out of date!

Sorry mate, but the Domobar Super HX with rotary pump (standard version) has been available for at least 12months in NZ as a tank/plumbed in option - the base unit comes with tank as default but the plumb in additional parts are included in the pack - buy it, decide, make it happen.
    Well Mike- whilst you might think that NZ is in fact the centre of the universe and that everything which happens there also happens in Australia, that's not so.

ECA (Sole Australian importer) imports the rotary pump only in 2B configuration. Our super lever comes with a vibe pump only and no plumb option. To the best of my knowledge the only source of rotary pump super lever other than a possible one or two evaluation machines that the importer might have checked out would be grey imports. I recall seeing a rotary pump electronica, but this was a V1 plumb only machine.
    Barry O'Speedwagon likes this.

OK. I got my machine from Di Bartoli around a year ago.
    I ordered a hx with a vibration pump. They only had this one in stock that was rotary pump with plumbing options. So they offered this one and I took it. Much better deal for me! From memory it was worth $500 more for these options.
    They mentioned this model didn't sell, and were happy to offer it to me since the dual boiler was around the same price as this machine.

TC
    Thanks Beenz. I would suspect it may have been an evaluation machine. I speak with ECA 2-3 times a week and this model was never offered as part of the ECA range.

Yeah. I was and am very happy with the upgrade. Free rotary pump and plumbing options on the vbm super! Love the freebies. The machine is great. Have it paired with a Compak k10 and have nothing to complain about.
    Di Bartoli were very helpful too with the whole transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Beenz View Post
    I imagine you could buy a rotary pump and install it out get out installed if noise is a problem
    No mate, noise isn't a problem, she's been a great machine to date. I've had the SL for four years. Had its first service last month and the only replacement part needed was a group seal. Can't complain about that.

Just wondering if the after market steam tip issue was ever solved? I have the same machine and have removed the restrictor and agree, much better but the steam holes are too far apart and I feel 3 holes closer together would make much Bett microfoam. Any ideas?.

Quote Originally Posted by r_usty View Post
    Just wondering if the after market steam tip issue was ever solved? I have the same machine and have removed the restrictor and agree, much better but the steam holes are too far apart and I feel 3 holes closer together would make much Bett microfoam. Any ideas?.
    Hey guys, just bought myself a 2B and i love it. Came from a Gaggia Classic so its world apart.

I'm also really struggling with the 4 hole tip on mine, i usually only steam about 300ml of milk so i just blast the crap out of it and before i can texture it it is hot.

I might just give coffee parts a ring to see if their advertised 2 hole will fit

Edit:

I did find this

http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/shop/ro...steam-tip-set/

Wonder if it fits

Contact Chris and find out would my suggestion but there is a chance that they may not fit the VBM, don't know if the Steam Wands are the same...

Mal.

TC
    Nope- the VBM uses an unusual 10?mm (I think) female tip. I have seen the same anatomy on Makin and also some BFC.

Izzo and Giotto are both 8mm male but with different thread pitch.

Pedro (Coffeeparts) may be able to assist with something else. I did see a 1 hole which would fit, but it's a narrower diameter tip- think carbon date the stale milk ring...

ECA should also have stock of the standard VBM 2 hole, but it's still a more challenging tip for some. If your technique is sound, it will be fine...

The BZ99s is a 10mm female tip. I bought a 2 hole one from a US site from memory...

Pedro from Coffee parts is looking into it. No answer as yet... I have installed a full ECM cool-to-touch wand. Much better. Had it second hand but I'm sure you can buy as well.