Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimbali Rebuild (progress thus far)

Cimbali Rebuild (progress thus far)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I had promised to post details of where I was at with the rebuild. *Here is a couple of photos of where it is currently and I will work back as to how I got there. *As you can see, itís going to be a frame up rebuild. *There is a little bit of rust in the bottom corners so I may need to cut that out. *It is a little hard to tell due to all the crud that is around it. *I will break the frame down a bit more and give it a degrease and see what it looks like. *May just be a sand blast and a paint job. *All that remains to be removed is the pressure stat and the group switches.

Re: Cimbali Rebuild (progress thus far)

I cant seem to post more than 1 photo per post >:(, does anyone know why? I am using safari as my browser on a mac?

another pic, sorry not really my best photography.

You need to somehting like flickr to host the image then you type the link in. Thats the only way to get more then 1 photo in per post

How I got there. It has been a while but over the easter break I spent two days pulling it apart. I had previously removed the groups, and just had the pump/motor boiler other hydraulics and electrics to remove. I was a little distracted early on as I had another ebay impulse buy see pic. I mainly bought it as it was a cimbali and was in perth so no freight cost. It was advertised as ďthe bloke I bought it off told me it worked but I didnít have a 15 amp plug to test itĒ so I assumed not working. Anyway thought it would possibly be a source of parts or a test machine for parts off the other one. When I went to pick it up, the guy seemed genuine enough and had said he never actually tried it and his wife pointed out that she wouldnít let him have it inside anyway.

I got it back connected it up and turned it on. Elements work and it gets up to temperature. The buttons all seemed to work and the motor spun, however no water would come out of the groups. After checking pipes for blockages I removed the pump and motor. Looks like the pump may be broken. It spins but the seals on the shaft had obviously been leaking for a while as there was water and rust inside the casing end of the motor where the pump connects. Fortunately I had another pump that I had prepared earlier, so connected that up and it was all systems go. One group works perfectly with 30ml and 60ml shots coming out the from the respective buttons. However, one group or the volumetric counter thing (technical term there) may not be working properly as there is only a dribble coming out and it runs for ages before turning off. Machine appears to be well looked after. It is very clean inside although there is a fair bit of mineral build up around some fittings. There is also a fair bit of rust on the frame and the frame clips for the screws. But I think all it needs is a strip and clean and a new pump.

I will keep this one aside for now until I finish the 3 group one. I think I may be selling the 3 group and will keep the 2 group eventually, will see what transpires.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Kid link=1176082581/0#2 date=1176083130
    You need to somehting like flickr to host the image then you type the link in. Thats the only way to get more then 1 photo in per post
    ok thanks, I might try that.

another pic

Clinto Ive sent you a PM with instructions on how to use Photobucket for hosting and posting.

Photo of the cup warmer and business end of the boiler. *That crud is pretty much everywhere. *There is also petrified milk all over the place. *I had thought the piston for the manual fill lever had ceased. *I was wrong the whole mechanism was one lump of hardened milk residue which was preventing the lever from moving. *I had to use a screwdriver and a hammer to chisel it off. *Smells good too.

Great shots there Clinto....

Somewhat worse than mine when I got it - but not much!

You wonder why the internals look like a combination of a knock box, a garbage bin and a home for all sorts of creatures - whilst the externals (where the customers can see) are generally quite pristine....

But it gives real satisfaction finding out what is really under all that "crud" ;)

sorry I got called away and didnt finish.

cup warmer

A dedicated heating element for the cups? Thats the first time i seen one

a few more assorted ones.

and yes this machine was filthy. *even the exterior was grimy. *I will post some pics of the milk residue later (i forgot to take pics) on the outer body panels.

i had vacumed up all the loose bits too. *there is glass coffee beans insects everywhere. *two of the group heads were filthy but one was ok, so they must have just been using the one. *The other 2 roup machine is spotless. *rust internally but other than that all ok. *Although the water coming out of it is milky, but that is probably due to it sitting with water in it for over 12 months.

one of the steam mechanisms

buttons... yes that is blue tack holding the cup warmer button on.

bad photo of a group still attached

another.

just about to be removed. appologies for the multiple posts but i cant seem to upload pics to photobucket. also I like to look at pics of other peoples projects so thought I would post a heap in case others are interested. Always fascinating looking at other machines in various stages of dissasembly

really bad photo of group removed, but the only one i had

close up of the guages. you literaly cannot see the sight glass. which was probably not an issue for them as the dried milk had siezed the manual fill lever so they were just relying on the auto fill. but given teh amount of scale build up on the float that would have stopped working eventualy.

main water inlet etc. you can see the pump in the background

another

another boiler shot

other end. i must have had the shakes

boiler out and end plate removed. I got about 1/2 a bucket full of this

another

closeup

Yuck! Its like Javas but orange

final remnants of the hydraulic system

Whats the hydraulic system for?

Wow! Id hate to think I was the sod who drank the last latte this boiler steamed before being decommissioned.

How do they allow things to get out of hand to that degree? No respect for machinery.

Clinto, thats very handy having a boiler with an end cap like that. Cant imagine the difficulties of descaling and flushing out the debris otherwise.

What was the condition of the element? Any pix? Judging from the condition of the boiler it must be well and truly insulated with scale.

-Robusto

Yeah Robusto....

Thats the last time Ill say my machine was badly in need of restoration.... By comparison it was pristine.. sparkling... clean (It wasnt by the way.... but comparing the two La Cimbalis....)

Id have to agree.... how could anyone let a machine get into that state? Ive been lurking here watching the pictures appear and getting more and more disgusted with the condition it was allowed to disintegrate into as each shot appeared.

Fortunately La Cimbalis are very well made - and Im sure it will clean up a dream.... with time. citric acid and elbow grease....

Also interesting the pump is a Procon .... so cant be original. (I just rememberd Clinto said he changed it)

And this is a VERY good example of why you need to run a Commercial (or any HX machine) on a water softener here in Perth. :o :o

Well, JavaB, dare I say it, dare I boast it ... :-/

I thought my Grimac was disappointing because it had some coffee grounds on a frame member under the drip tray. :o

But having seen pictures of the various stripped down machines, the Grimac by comparison, looks as though it walked straight out of the showroom! ;D ;D ;D

The conclusion can only be that despite being so-called professionals, some cafe operators are no credit to the industry they serve. They cannot be relied upon to care for their machinery as far as maintenance and preventative maintenance is concerned.

Luckily these commerncial machines, though, take the abuse meeted out, resist the urge to corrode and give up the ghost.....

And that augers well for us tinkerers who get them for comparative bargains and scrub them up to their former glory. ;)

-Robusto

I cant believe the places you find coffee grinds. I mean its meant to go in the filter basket and into the knock box, not become impregnated into every single nook and cranny of the machine. My only explanation is that there must be some rather mischievous nocturnal pixies afoot that sprinkle coffee grinds throughout a machine after everyone has gone home... My daughter is about to lose another tooth and were planning to lay a trap for the tooth fairy. Maybe I should try and nab one of these pixies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky link=1176082581/30#32 date=1176123528
    My only explanation is that there must be some rather mischievous nocturnal pixies afoot that sprinkle coffee grinds throughout a machine after everyone has gone home... My daughter is about to lose another tooth and were planning to lay a trap for the tooth fairy. Maybe I should try and nab one of these pixies as well.
    Unfortunately (or should that be fortunately) those pixies only visit commercial coffee establishments...

They dont seem to like doing their thing in a home environment for some strange reason... ;) ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Kid link=1176082581/15#28 date=1176115712
    Whats the hydraulic system for?

not sure if that was a rhetorical question. but by that i meant water bits

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1176082581/15#29 date=1176116310
    Wow! *Id hate to think I was the sod who drank the last latte *this boiler steamed *before being decommissioned.

How do they allow things to get out of hand to that degree? No respect for machinery.

Clinto, thats very handy having a boiler with an end cap like that. *Cant imagine the difficulties of descaling and flushing out the debris otherwise.

What was the condition of the element? Any pix? Judging from the condition of the boiler it must be well and truly insulated with scale.

-Robusto
    yes was pretty grubby. makes you wonder what the kitchen in that place was like too.

I completely forgot to take a pic of the element. yeh it was pretty much solid down by the end plate end of the element. so solid it is still welded to the end plate. it has been soaking for the last few days in citric acid and wont budge. I am thinking i might go and buy some hydrochloric as I am running out of citric. had a hard time tracking citric acid down in a large quanity. managed to buy a 1kg from a pool shop, but was the only one they had. I think I can get away with hydrochloric provided it is reasonably diluted and i wash it all out properly afterwards? I seem to recall that the commercial repairers use it for boilers??

but having the whole plate come off does make it a little easy. although the boiler is longer than the rubbish bin I am using to soak it in so I have to turn it over eventually when the other half is clean.

Im back, we had people over for dinner so I didnt get to finish.

onto the electrics now.

a close up of pressure stat, excuse the photoshop adjustments but it brings out the detail of the coffee beans etc. in the corners

that white powder in the background is dried milk that I chipped out with the screwdriver and a hammer from the manual fill surround

some more electrics, but down the business end of things. note the pad and pen. I had to draw up my own wiring diagram

where does that wire go?

group head switch

an earlier pic. *yes that is fried cockroach

and for those that are wondering what it is they are looking at. in all its original glory

another. In my haste, I always forget to take before pics.

last one

really last one. Even the knobs are grimy. they all absolutely stink of rotten milk and coffee oils. I have had a bash at cleaining them but think I will just fork out for 8 knobs from coffee parts. I think they are beyond salvage. Unfortunately the badges are also banged up and scratched. I would like to try and restore them, but will have to see how I go with them. I dont think you can buy them or am i wrong? it would be nice to bring them up to close to original.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1176082581/30#30 date=1176117016
    Yeah Robusto....

Also interesting the pump is a Procon .... so cant be original. (I just rememberd Clinto said he changed it)

And this is a VERY good example of why you need to run a Commercial (or any HX machine) on a water softener here in Perth. :o :o
    nope that was the pump that was on it. I swapped that procon pump over to the other machine as pump on my other one has packed it in. the motor on this one is also different to the two group machine. so maybe they changed them both. unless the 3 groupers have a bigger motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Kid link=1176082581/0#10 date=1176114623
    A dedicated heating element for the cups? Thats the first time i seen one
    yeh dont quite understand the need for it, given the proximity to the boiler and lack of boiler insulation.

looks like you got a bit of work ahead of you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast