Thread: Faema Lever 2 group

Faema Lever 2 group

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Found this video clip on youtube , just wondering how popular were they back in the 60s 70s before the volummetric models become available, and is there any cafe around melbourne still running them? Just one beautiful machine.

1951 faema coffee machine - YouTube

TC
    As I recall, Journal in Flinders lane had one. Haven't been there for ages so I am unsure if they still do. Coffee was not the best of the CBD though.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    As I recall, Journal in Flinders lane had one. Haven't been there for ages so I am unsure if they still do. Coffee was not the best of the CBD though.
    Yes they still have their lever and yes the coffee there isn't the best in the CBD, heck it's far from the best within a 1 min walk. (dukes, cup of truth, little king, etc)

TOK
    I have a couple of reference books and will check tomorrow or Tuesday on this when I am in the office.... in the meantime, are you sure that's not 1961 rather than 1951? I doubt any manufacturer would have kept a body style running 10 years, but will be happy to be corrected if it is the case.

That's not to say it isn't a beautiful machine.....just sayin'.......

TOK
    ....and....freshly extracted from the bosom of my reference texts....this is most probably a 1960 series 2 Faema President....its certainly *later" in the particular model run given certain cosmetic attributes of the body and frame......1960 is a far cry from the 1951 year date of the ewechoob clip, and there was a huge difference in body style as well as in the groups over the various models produced in the decade 1950 to 1960.

Who's going to tell them ?

Tok, can you upload few pictures of each models for us to look at, pls.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by summercrema View Post
    Tok, can you upload few pictures of each models for us to look at, pls.
    I really don't think TOK's going to have the time to do that...

Might be best to grab a copy of Faema Espresso 1945-2010 by Enrico Maltoni... There you will find roughly 300 pages of pictures which cover each model released...
    FaemaEspresso1945-2010-low_Page_01 CROPED.jpg

TOK
    That is a great book.....mine was personally autographed by the author !

But...this and other of my references are in the office, and I don't go there often. Suffice to say if you would like to see what earlier models look like, or how they progressed over time, see if you can google up the Urania model which was I think directly before the President (say at a guess, running from 1953 to 1957). There were a couple of other models earlier in the decade but off hand I cant remember their names. They have a much older look about them however, and quite different looking groups. More ornate, some might say kind of gothic etc. The machine in the ewechoob video is definitely around 1960 mark and much more modern.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post
    That is a great book.....
    Agreed. It's a must have for any machine lover. Coffeebooks has it at 50% off at the moment too. BARGAIN!

Hi all

Another great book by Enrico Maltoni and Giuseppe Fabris is "Espresso, Made in Italy, 1901 - 1962"
    Lots of pics of old espresso machines which were as artistic as they were functional.

Mike

thanks everyone .. books more books, just purchase the Blue Bottles Craft of Coffee.