Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 2 Post By chokkidog
  • 2 Post By Vinitasse

Thread: San Marino

San Marino

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive been using this machine for about a month on weekends to make coffee and they have offered to sell it for $2500, is this a good deal?

I think before I started using it, it didnt have much done with it. Maybe 6 months work and only low volumes on weekends. Its just like the picture except is has the 4 extra buttons above each head.

Would I be better off spending the money on something else?

Thanks for the help

Re: San Marino

jimmyb,

That is a serious machine and the extra buttons would be for dose I assume - making it an automatic (the picture is of a semi automatic)....

The price is probably reasonable based on your description... but it is hard to know without seeing it...

Now the question really is - will you use the machine enough to justify a 2 group? I do 20+ coffees at times (wife having friends over) and they are great for that... but they really need to be plumbed in, occupy a lot of bench space and really boost your power bill (but look great!!)....

The other option is a prosumer - a lot smaller, less power hungry (several models run from a reservoir - plumbing not required) and make every bit as good coffees as the commercials....

So if you want a real talking point (many / most of your friends believing you are totally crazy), have plenty of space, dont mind the power bill and the heat they give off - then seriously consider this - if you want something more manageable.... check out the prosumers.....

And one last thing to consider.... these machines are only practical is you can / will do your own maintenance..... professional machine service is expensive and you cant just pick one of these up and carry it under your arm into your local service centre.... spares for them are cheap and readily available.... but expect to pay heaps for labour (or do it yourself).... no such problems with prosumer machines.

I should say it wont be for home use =)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb link=1176265343/0#2 date=1176266727
    I should say it wont be for home use =)
    Ah.... different story then ::)

Yep, probably a good value purchase if it really is in the pristine condition as you describe it..... and if you believe the history (as you have been told) is correct..... You would be paying about half new price for a very capable coffee machine.

It is always difficult buying second hand commercial machines... often they will look good on the outside.... but internally its a different story.

Good luck...

These San Marinos tend to run very hot and have a lightning rebound. That means that you need to flush a lot of water to get to an acceptable brewing temp and it doesnt stay there for long. More often than not Ive had burnt coffee from one of these machines, so Im no fan. Theyre also endemic to these parts, so its not a one-off experience. Theres actually a thread on these machines over at the australasian forum of CG based around how hard itis to get good coffee from one. Ive actually spent some time on one and thermologged it, hence the statements about rebound and large flushes.

That said, they are very common machines and parts and servicing should be no problem. Im sure if they are set up correctly they may be tamed somewhat, but Im not sure how well.

I personally would steer away and look for a 2nd hand Faema, which are very nice machines that are relatively common and dont run hot. Of course there are others as well.
    Mariner likes this.

Ah, but Sparky --- its not for domestic use. It shoud therefore fit right in in the commercial environment where customers are used to being served sub-standard fare.

But enough of this cynicism....!

-Robusto

Picking up from second last post.

I also am not a fan of SM machines as stated they run very hot and burn coffee as made in this part of the world.

Also not a fan of Faema machines, they run much much better than SM but have in the past been over engineered especially in the electronic control department with very individual design, meaning you virtually have to go with "genuine" service all the time. Owners are therefore easily manipulated by the importer to go with their brand coffee otherwise service and parts can be made very hard to get (if you get the drift).

These are the realities of coffee and coffee machines in business rather than in the home environment.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb link=1176265343/0#0 date=1176265342
    Ive been using this machine for about a month on weekends to make coffee and they have offered to sell it for $2500, is this a good deal?

I think before I started using it, it didnt have much done with it. Maybe 6 months work and only low volumes on weekends. Its just like the picture except is has the 4 extra buttons above each head.
    They usually go for about $1k second-hand, but were talking older machines here.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb link=1176265343/0#0 date=1176265342
    Would I be better off spending the money on something else?
    Like Sparky, I havent really met a San Marino that I liked. Well, thats not true ... our tech modified a very old San Marino for kicks and it produced some reasonable shots, but Im not sure what became of it, nor exactly what the modifications were, much less how involved it would be!

It is difficult to recommend other stuff without knowing what you intend to use the machine for.

Cheers,

Luca

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1176265343/0#7 date=1176292386

It is difficult to recommend other stuff without knowing what you intend to use the machine for.
    its in a church cafe, gets used saturdays and sundays mainly and also if there is something bigger on during the week. I do want to be able to get the best shot I can for $2500 because if I tell them to get it for that price then they will.

The other good thing is that its there and plumbed in already. Its a long story as to why its there now already if they dont own it.

Also Im pretty tired right now so what ive said could be a little hard to read.

My SM doesnt run hot anymore. Ive got it down to a pretty constant 94C. If left on for a long time, I only have to flush 100-150ml. My main problem now is brew pressure. I have no way of measuring it, so it doesnt get tuned.

However, it does produce a very nice shot, and the steaming power is immense. Quite a simple machine too, being semi-auto. No volumetric dosing electronics to worry about.

Anyone want to come by my place and give mine a tweak?

how do you know how hot its running anyway?

Site Sponsor

New the automatic version is I believe about 4800+, manual around 3800. I have a auto but use it as a manual.

Oh well off to work, and to play with the stainless steel fire breathing dragon :)

Quote Originally Posted by nunu link=1176265343/0#9 date=1176297808
    My SM doesnt run hot anymore. *Ive got it down to a pretty constant 94C. *If left on for a long time, I only have to flush 100-150ml. *My main problem now is brew pressure. *I have no way of measuring it, so it doesnt get tuned.

However, it does produce a very nice shot, and the steaming power is immense. *Quite a simple machine too, being semi-auto. *No volumetric dosing electronics to worry about.

Anyone want to come by my place and give mine a tweak?
    Is that a BYO portafilter with pressue gauge, Nunu? ;) ;D

-Robusto

Hi Guys,

just to clarify, in terms of the direction of this discussion with respect to overheating etc. In that kind of technical sense, there really is no comparison between the full commercial SMs and Nunus well behaved semi-commercial compact model.

You can tell how a machine is running (in terms of how hot it is) by watching and listening to the water as it exits from the group...(dont need thermometers or thermocouples)...and becoming familiar with its behaviour over a range of conditions.

Notwithstanding, people with experience in the service industry can just rattle off the models they know that generally display these "odd" characteristics without necessarily having to check an individual machine. *

Hope this helps.

Regardz,
    FC.

Quote Originally Posted by robusto link=1176265343/0#12 date=1176331901
    Is that a BYO portafilter with pressue gauge, Nunu? ;) ;D

-Robusto
    Cmon, Im not that cheeky. I would be keen to find out what the brew pressure is however.

Hi I have purchased a SanMarino 3 group with no manual and i cant seem to find thru google. Can anybody help me? Sorry to gatecrash this thread but im new to this and damned if i can work out how to start a new thread Doesnt give me much hope for a coffee machine with no manual does it!!!

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Welcome Booshka,

Not super form posting the same message across multiple threads. You'll probably find that you can't start a new thread until you've been here for more than 2 minutes i.e. 5 posts or so) When you get there, there are threads in each of the brewing equipment sub-forums devoted to documentation.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Booshka View Post
    Sorry to gatecrash this thread but im new to this and damned if i can work out how to start a new thread
    There's a big green button at the top of every sub-forum that says + Post New Thread.

Java "No minimum needed" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Ok Sorry, learning the rules!! Thanks for that, i will try to be more patient! So keen for info

Hi I have no green button Apparently have to post more to get that opportunity :0

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Are you looking at the page from within a 'thread', or from withing the main page of a 'sub-forum'? You won't see the button at the top of the current page, for example.

PS: the post limit I referred to earlier applies only to 'Sales' threads.
    Booshka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    These San Marinos tend to run very hot and have a lightning rebound. That means that you need to flush a lot of water to get to an acceptable brewing temp and it doesnt stay there for long. More often than not Ive had burnt coffee from one of these machines, so Im no fan. Theyre also endemic to these parts, so its not a one-off experience. Theres actually a thread on these machines over at the australasian forum of CG based around how hard itis to get good coffee from one. Ive actually spent some time on one and thermologged it, hence the statements about rebound and large flushes.

That said, they are very common machines and parts and servicing should be no problem. Im sure if they are set up correctly they may be tamed somewhat, but Im not sure how well.

I personally would steer away and look for a 2nd hand Faema, which are very nice machines that are relatively common and dont run hot. Of course there are others as well.
    San Marina Lisas are reasonably easy to tweak - although the HX design makes fitting restrictors impossible, if you turn down the boiler pressure on an unmodified one to 0.9-1.0 bar you get group temperatures around 89-90 degrees, and 1.0 bar is plenty for steaming milk.
    VERY easy to get parts for and to service/repair, if a tech can't service/repair one of those with their eyes closed they need to throw away their tools. I normally allow 1 hour for an onsite service of most makes/models of machines, but I've done 4 Lisas on one site in 1 3/4 hrs.

Hi I have purchased a SanMarino 3 group with no manual and i cant seem to find thru google.
    Welcome to CS Booshka,

Google? Too easy!!

Top of the first page............... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...rs-manual.html

Shakes head and mutters under his breath..... why am I so curious?
    Last edited by Javaphile; 30th January 2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Changed link to local
    Vinitasse and Booshka like this.

Hi Chokkidog!!! You are a legend thank you so much!!!

Hi Chokkidog!!! You are a legend thank you so much!!!
    Mr Google is a legend too
    chokkidog and Booshka like this.