Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonathon
  • 2 Post By TC
  • 3 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By Firstslayerinoz

Thread: La Marzocco GS3 - Setting Up Advice

  1. #1
    Senior Member E-Gene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    323

    Question La Marzocco GS3 - Setting Up Advice

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

    Just received my GS3 AV today and I've just unboxed it. Tempted to just plug it in a run it but I've been reading quite a lot of different things about setting up the machine but can't seem to find anything really detailed. Also, I don't want to break anything.

    GS3 Owners and coffee machine gurus, any advise on how to properly set the machine up? I'm planning to run the machine unplumbed for now, just want to get it set up nicely.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    558
    Wow I can't believe your patience! I can't imagine many CSers could stand the agony of looking at a brand new GS/3 on their kitchen bench without using it.
    E-Gene likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member E-Gene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
    Wow I can't believe your patience! I can't imagine many CSers could stand the agony of looking at a brand new GS/3 on their kitchen bench without using it.
    I guess I just don't want to break it! Going through the manual now.

  4. #4
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    It will have been bench tested by LM and (hopefully) by your vendor too.

    1. Fill
    2. Switch on and let heat
    3. Use and enjoy
    E-Gene and chokkidog like this.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3
    I think you also have to bleed the group when you fill the boilers?

  6. #6
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Will have been done by LM Aust as part of their bench test.

  7. #7
    Senior Member E-Gene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    323
    As Chris said. I thought that I would have to bleed the group head myself, but turns out that LM Aust have already set this up. Didn't take much to fill up the boilers too, that's probably why it weighed a ton!

  8. #8
    Member MrWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Gene View Post
    As Chris said. I thought that I would have to bleed the group head myself, but turns out that LM Aust have already set this up. Didn't take much to fill up the boilers too, that's probably why it weighed a ton!
    How are you liking the GS/3 so far? Was it an upgrade?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    319
    I just upgraded from an Alex Duetto a few months ago and I love it. In saying that, the Duetto can produce some amazing coffee which I would say is on par with the GS3. Once you perfect each machine I think the end product is almost identical.

    Double thumbs up for both machines!

  10. #10
    Member MrWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by brendogs View Post
    Once you perfect each machine I think the end product is almost identical.

    Double thumbs up for both machines!
    I tend to agree having also moved from an e61 however there's not a day I'm not happy to see the GS/3 on the bench. The quality, consistency and character of the machine is hard to beat in my opinion.

  11. #11
    Senior Member E-Gene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    323
    Coming from an Faema S1, this is a massive upgrade for me. Love it to bits! I've always used La Marzoccos in my cafes, so the choice was simple when I was looking to upgrade to a machine that I can also do small functions with. That's why I went with the AV version and not the MP.

    Been tinkering with it all day and I'm probably seeing stars from having one to many espressos, but hey, more good than bad ones though.

  12. #12
    Member MrWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Gene View Post
    Coming from an Faema S1, this is a massive upgrade for me. Love it to bits! I've always used La Marzoccos in my cafes, so the choice was simple when I was looking to upgrade to a machine that I can also do small functions with. That's why I went with the AV version and not the MP.

    Been tinkering with it all day and I'm probably seeing stars from having one to many espressos, but hey, more good than bad ones though.
    Awesome. Enjoy!

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Gene View Post
    Hi all,

    Just received my GS3 AV today and I've just unboxed it. Tempted to just plug it in a run it but I've been reading quite a lot of different things about setting up the machine but can't seem to find anything really detailed. Also, I don't want to break anything.

    GS3 Owners and coffee machine gurus, any advise on how to properly set the machine up? I'm planning to run the machine unplumbed for now, just want to get it set up nicely.

    I believe you deserve an answer to your coffee machine...I am lucky enough to have a slayer 1 group and LM GS3, the advise that i am giving you is subjective and i would suggest it to experiment with them

    Coffee boiler temperarure: mine is set up at 97 degrees (that depends on your blend) the quality of the arabica and robusta makes a big difference....Would you like your coffee to taste intense and more caramalised? tghen dont be scared to play with the temperature because at the end your palette has to be satisfied and not the theory

    Steam boiler: Mine is set up at 123 degrees...feel free to play with that as well I have found the ideal temperature depends on the size of the jug (for instance tiny little jug does not require a high temperature)

    aftermarket basket filter in the 1 group handle tend to extract better cup not sure why but i have noticed that LM nasket is thicker and 10g heavier

    and last always used filtered water for best results and enjoy
    E-Gene likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member E-Gene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    323
    Thanks for the advice. The machine has been set up and running beautifully for the last 2 months. I even used it on a coffee cart in a furniture expo as part of Melbourne InDesign. In the process of getting it plumbed in over the next few days when my Brita filter arrives.

    Oh Happy Days!

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Gene View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The machine has been set up and running beautifully for the last 2 months. I even used it on a coffee cart in a furniture expo as part of Melbourne InDesign. In the process of getting it plumbed in over the next few days when my Brita filter arrives.

    Oh Happy Days!
    Which filter are you getting? I have the purity C 150

  16. #16
    Senior Member E-Gene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstslayerinoz View Post
    Which filter are you getting? I have the purity C 150
    Yup, I got the Brita C 150 with the tap.

    Brita C150 coffee filtration PLV and tap + connection to espresso machine | Talk Coffee



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •