Thread: ECM Veneziano A1 Help...

Bon

ECM Veneziano A1 Help...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I want to bump my machine up about 0.1 bar, how do I do this? ;D

TC

Re: ECM Veneziano A1 Help...

Bon- this is done via adjustment of the pressurestat with a flat blade screwdriver.

I would not run over 1.0 bar as there will be a temperature increase at the grouphead, potentially leading to bitter espresso.

2mcm

Bon

thanks, dude!

Its on 0.8 atm, going to jack it up to 0.9.

Do I have to take the top panel off where all my cups, etc. would sit to get to the pressurestat?

TC

Yeppers- thats correct. It will be pretty obvious. NB your machine will be live as you do this, so the normal safety caveats apply. If youre unsure as to how to go about it, get a service guy to do it. Its a quick adjustment.

Bon

Is that similar to a computer with regards to grounding, etc.?

Gonna give it a whirl now, thanks mate! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bon link=1176768978/0#4 date=1176773733
    Is that similar to a computer with regards to grounding, etc.?

Gonna give it a whirl now, thanks mate! :)
    NO Mate, it definitely is NOT....

If you ground yourself and manage to contact a live conductor and you dont have RCD protection on your switchboard, you can be killed. Sounds to me like you shouldnt be doing this job.... call a Techie and play it safe,

Mal.

Mal...I realise youre looking out for this bloke...but seriously..its not hard to explain to someone, all you have to do is pull out the power plug, make sure the machine isnt hot...pop the hood and turn a little screw. Very unlikely hes gonna kill himself doing the above steps.

Calling a techie and spending heaps of money for a 2 minute piss of a job.... ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1176768978/0#3 date=1176770841
    Yeppers- thats correct. It will be pretty obvious. NB your machine will be live as you do this, so the normal safety caveats apply. If youre unsure as to how to go about it, get a service guy to do it. Its a quick adjustment.
    If you read 2mcms post above, youll note that this adjustment is carried out with the machine LIVE, hence my warning,

Mal.

oh must have a rotary pump...my bad

at work all i have to do is lift the drip tray and contort my body some how to get that screw driver in....1/10th of a turn later im all good

I think Bons concern was that he would zap the machines electrics with static.

However, cant the machine be turned off at the wall, the pressurestat adjustment made, switched on once more, pressure reading checked, and the procedure repeated until desired pressure is reached?

Im not familiar with the Veneziano pressurestat, but thats how I adjust the Sirai pressurestat.

-Robusto

Sounds logical

Doing it while running is better. Especially if it is a commercial machine. Flush water out and watch the pressure drop and build back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes link=1176768978/0#11 date=1176866102
    Doing it while running is better. Especially if it is a commercial machine. Flush water out and watch the pressure drop and build back up.
    Yes, undoubtedly so. But were giving advice here to someone where the primary consideration should be safety first.
    It only takes a few seconds longer, too.

-Robusto

Bon

So does anyone wanna tell me how to do it live, and safely? I promise if I hurt myself, Ill do it good enough so I wont live to sue you. :D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Bon link=1176768978/0#13 date=1176920267
    So does anyone wanna tell me how to do it live, and safely? I promise if I hurt myself, Ill do it good enough so I wont live to sue you. :D
    Its simple bon, the pressurestat is pretty easy to identify....the sparky bits are wires and they hold that nasty stuff....avoid them ;)

Hey Bon, Im just wondering if you managed to change that setting.
    If you did, what was the result? I have the same machine, but I havent really tinkered with it because Ive been happy with it they way it was delivered. Id be interested to hear about this and any other adjustments youve made.

Regards Bart.

Bon

Hey Bart,

I tried changing the pstat... I saw the pressure go up to just above 1, but it keeps dropping back down to 0.8. Not sure what the go is, steaming power/pressure is no different.

I am going to have to keep fiddling with it, or get someone to help me.

Whats your machine set at now?

Gday Bon, mine sits on 0.8 and produces really thick microfoam. I upgraded from a San Marino CK Compact which was a good machine but I have to say the ECM leaves it for dead. Steaming milk on the A1 is a bit slower than the CK, but the results are much better.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Bart link=1176768978/15#17 date=1177679335
    Gday Bon, mine sits on 0.8 and produces really thick microfoam. I upgraded from a San Marino CK Compact which was a good machine but I have to say the ECM leaves it for dead. Steaming milk on the A1 is a bit slower than the CK, but the results are much better.

Hi Bart,

there is a set of mods for the A1/S1/Giotto which provide 1.2bar boiler pressure whilst retaining correct group temp- i.e better thermostability- Say goodbye to flushes to cool- I flush only to rinse....I am getting some kits of bits and can do it....for a price ;)....The results are FANTASTIC!

I have run mine in this configuration for 6 months and would never consider going back....

Chris

And what kind of bits would those be 2mcm? Im asking for the sake of transparency...3rd wave ;)

Bon

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1176768978/15#18 date=1177721505
    there is a set of mods for the A1/S1/Giotto which provide 1.2bar boiler pressure whilst retaining correct group temp- i.e better thermostability- Say goodbye to flushes to cool- I flush only to rinse....I am getting some kits of bits and can do it....for a price ;)....The results are FANTASTIC!

I have run mine in this configuration for 6 months and would never consider going back....
    Its not possible to jack the machine up to 1-1.2bar without these mods? Ive tried, but its still sitting on 0.8.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Bon link=1176768978/15#20 date=1177770562
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1176768978/15#18 date=1177721505

Its not possible to jack the machine up to 1-1.2bar without these mods? Ive tried, but its still sitting on 0.8.
    Possible but not advisable as you will be waaay too hot at the group head....

Bon

what about pushing the probe in?

Quote Originally Posted by Bon link=1176768978/15#22 date=1177811472
    what about pushing the probe in?
    Bon,

Im not sure what you mean by probe.... boiler pressure and temperature are both determined by the pressurestat.... increase pressure = hotter boiler...

The brew pressure is determined by the flow of water through the group and through the heat exchanger.....which depend on boiler temperature -- and without changing flow restrictors and thermosyphon pipes etc the brew temperature will increase in line with the increase in boiler pressure / temperature.

Tuning a commercial or prosumer machine for good performance is a lot more than rotating a screw on the pressurestat.

I think he was referring to the Water level probe which will change the water to steam ratio in the boiler and change the heat X-fer to the water in the Hx i.e if your running at a higher pressure then you could lower the water level so less heat is transferred to the water in the Hx.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Segrave link=1176768978/15#24 date=1177812811
    I think he was referring to the Water level probe which will change the water to steam ratio in the boiler and change the heat X-fer to the water in the Hx i.e if your running at a higher pressure then you could lower the water level so less heat is transferred to the water in the Hx.
    :-? Which would lead to a greater fill of the boiler and therefore less volume of steam if Im not mistaken??

I really wonder why you feel that you need to increase the perssure anyway. The A1/S1 had plenty of quality dry steam..If you are having problems texturing, you may need to adjust the nut on the group handle ;) ;D

Bon

segrave is correct.

I have no problems texturing milk (just slow)... yet, when I go to another machine that is set for a commercial environment, Im overwhelmed by the amount and power of the steam so I wanted to jack my machine up to be more like one set for a commercial environment.

Plus, I also wanted a higher temperature in the group head... there is one particular blend I have been trying to pull for a while which keeps coming out astringent - Im told I need a higher temperature which is really the only thing left to try as I have been through a variety of baskets, dosed less, dosed more, etc. and I can get a decent shot out of just about everything else I put through the machine.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Bon link=1176768978/15#26 date=1177843997
    segrave is correct.

I have no problems *texturing milk (just slow)... yet, when I go to another machine that is set for a commercial environment, Im overwhelmed by the amount and power of the steam so I wanted to jack my machine up to be more like one set for a commercial environment.

Plus, I also wanted a higher temperature in the group head... there is one particular blend I have been trying to pull for a while which keeps coming out astringent - Im told I need a higher temperature which is really the only thing left to try as I have been through a variety of baskets, dosed less, dosed more, etc. and I can get a decent shot out of just about everything else I put through the machine.
    In which case, Id be looking very closely at the coffee...Have you cupped it and seen the same astringency....Sounds like a fault to me....Some roasters blend to a recipe and as coffee does change, its not always the way to go....

2mcm

Whoa! this is getting way too complicated for a simple fireman, my enquiry about modifications was really only out of curiosity. I am actually very happy with the performance of the A1, if there were minor adjustments to tweak things up a bit, I might have a crack. But this is too deep for me. My motto, if it aint broke, dont fix it!

Bon, are you sure the commercial machine hasnt got more and bigger holes in the steam wand tip?

-Robusto

Bon

Yeah, that too... mines only a 2 hole steam tip opposed to a 4.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Bon link=1176768978/30#30 date=1177920653
    Yeah, that too... mines only a 2 hole steam tip opposed to a 4.
    ..as it should have....You have a 1 group machine with a 2.5L boiler ;) Faster does not necessarily mean better.....

Bon

I have since bumped my machine up to 1.2..... coffee isnt burning.

Im yet to pull the blend I was originally having trouble with though.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Bon link=1176768978/30#32 date=1181196227
    I have since bumped my machine up to 1.2..... coffee isnt burning.

Im yet to pull the blend I was originally having trouble with though.
    There will be an increase in temperature at the group head as higher pressure = higher boiler temp and *therefore the water in the HX will also be hotter. This machine ships at 1.0 bar for good reason ;) Have you thermologged it?

Bon

Nope, dont have that equipment...

Ive got the basic thermocouple and filter with a small hole that you can try. Not exactly a Scace device but gives you some idea of temp.

Bon

yeah man, next time youre over bring it round.

Bon

Update: the machine is now up to around 1.5... the depth of flavours coming out in the coffee is the best Ive seen to date. Sourness seems to have been eliminated now too, so Im going to give Campos Superior Blend, etc. a crack and see how they go.

My Faema Due was set up for a busy commercial setting, even though it was not in one....and the steam pressure was always sitting well over 1.2 bar - the steam that came out of the 4 hole tip was totally insane. The pump pressure was also set high, so that with both groups running and the auto fill cutting in there was still about 9 bar, but stick in a blind and the thing would charge up to 11-12 bar!

Long cooling flushes had to be used - in a busy cafe it wouldnt ahve been a problem probably. With the help of the guys here I tuned in down to a more managable home level - it now runs at about .7bar - .95 bar. And for the pump in the middle of the 9 bar part of the guage. Before tweaking my wife would sometimes forget to flush and the coffee was burnt and bitter because of it. Now the coffees are consistently great.

The steam power I had started to get used to, but it was very unforgiving - now its much easier to use and creates lovely thick micro-foam, but concentration is still required and the volume is still very high.

Just some thoughts for you....dont know if they assist.

Cheers