Results 1 to 4 of 4
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By jbrewster

Thread: Commercial Coffee machine (expobar compact 2group) electrical fault

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1

    Cool Commercial Coffee machine (expobar compact 2group) electrical fault

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

    I've been a Barista for 7 years and started a mobile van 2 years ago with a broken down old Expobar Compact(90's) that I bought cheap at an auction, fixed and retro stress painted.

    Anyway all it needed were new heads, seals, showers, group handles and water pump. It ran like a beauty for couple of years until recently after moving up to Burleigh Heads and leaving it for about 3 months. I pulled it out to teach a local kid how to make coffee like a pro, when I noticed that it was very slightly electrocuting me. This occurs as long as the machine is plugged in, whether the machine is switched on or off!

    Now i wasn't wearing shoes and it doesn't do this when I am. So my father reckons it could have had the problem from the start and I never noticed. Also a few people have said this is probably the earth.

    Basically I'm not an electrician so I was wondering if anyone knows how this could be occurring? and how to fix it?

  2. #2
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,999
    Don't play around with it mate - Too dangerous...

    Best to get a licensed sparky to check it out for you, if you intend using it again. Otherwise, just scrap it...

    Mal.
    (Licensed sparky, among other things )
    Mariner, TC and smokey like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Best to get a licensed sparky to check it out for you, if you intend using it again. Otherwise, just scrap it...
    Does your house have an RCD ("Safety Switch")? Leakage like that ought to be enough to trip one... If not get the sparky to install one while he checks the machine out
    Dimal likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ozscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    BRISBANE
    Posts
    1,998
    You would be the first person in history to be slightly electrocuted but yes certainly don't use until a sparky checks it. My machine runs on its own circuit and has a RCD for that circuit. I had the sparky also put in a 15amp outlet downstairs on the same circuit so I can switch off my machine and go down and plug in my inverter welder.

    Cheers

    Cheers



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •