Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: PID issue on brew boiler - Izzo Alex Duetto II

PID issue on brew boiler - Izzo Alex Duetto II

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice.....

The brew boiler display on the PID of my Alex has just started reading 54 degrees and not moving (it's set to 94 centigrade). The indicator light flicks on and off, I haven't had any issue with the steam boiler. Any trouble shooting advice would be gratefully received. I live near Merimbula, far south NSW and taking it to a service centre would be a huge task, so anything I can do locally would be preferred,

cheers
    rynnlic

TC
    Hi rynnlic,

Sorry to hear that.

Most likely a scaled or failing thermocouple. I can talk you through the replacement if you'd like to call during business hours.

Chris

Is it the boiler or steam indicator that is still blinking? If the boiler indicator is still blinking it suggests the PID is still working and if you pull a shot is it at the right temp?
    If the answer to this is yes then I bet that one of the segments of the PID display has died so that your 9 now looks like a 5 :-)

Thanks to you both,

I have a suspicion that the brew temp is correct, all be it tested with a thermometer as it pours, it is still hotter than the 54 read out. The coffee tastes as per our usual flavours, so I am leaning towards the failing display. In fact today, there is a segment of the steam boiler readout missing, so it looks like the display is on it's way out.

I have had an error message in times past where I have had to replace the thermcouple, and I'm not getting the error at the moment. This was my first thoughts too, Chris when the trouble started.

The next question is can the display only be replaced, and is it worth doing?

many thanks
    rynnlic

TC
    I still suspect a flaky probe rynnlic. We have PID spares in stock
    Dimal likes this.

Ok Chris, I will take it on board - and I'll have to do a bit of saving for the PID if that
    is what is required

Quote Originally Posted by rynnlic View Post
    Thanks to you both,

I have a suspicion that the brew temp is correct, all be it tested with a thermometer as it pours, it is still hotter than the 54 read out. The coffee tastes as per our usual flavours, so I am leaning towards the failing display. In fact today, there is a segment of the steam boiler readout missing, so it looks like the display is on it's way out.
    No probs, the only reason I suggested the display is I looked at buying used machine with the same PID and the seller noted a problem with the display like yours. One way to confirm it may be if you put the control into programming mode can you change the temp settings down into the eighties so all segments of the display should be on and see if that segment is still blank?
    I doubt that you could replace just the display unless you hacked it yourself

OK gents, I have had a look at the thermocouple and it looks clean. So have come to the conclusion that it is a failing display. Coffee still tastes as good (as long as the husband does not stall the roasts or for that matter incinerate them ;-))

Best start saving

Thanks again for your help

Rynnlic

If you ever end up replacing it, I would happily take the old one off you to have a play around with it.