Thread: Rocket R58 versus GS3

Rocket R58 versus GS3

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    Do you think the GS3 is better than the Rocket r58 dual boiler?
    More specifically do you think the GSR justifies the extra price?
    Thanks

I vote for the GS3

GS/3 isnt E61 and also which GS/3 the Automatic or the Semi-Auto model?

TC
    • Both will make great coffee. Nail a shot with either and you won't pick the brand blind.
    • LM comes to temp more rapidly and temp changes can also be made rapidly- you pay a premium for the saturated group
    • LM tanks- suck They're irritating to fill
    • LM steam- way better pressure
    • LM chassis- fragile. You move it with care and preferably on the supportive skid it was delivered on
    • LM packs a price premium for the brand. Parts are exxy.
    • LM software- nice. I love the inbuilt timer to switch on and off.
    • Rocket = bling!

In summary, both are excellent. If you're considering the Rocket, you should also have a look over the Alex Duetto.

Happy shopping

Chris

Damn just found out that GS meant Gruppo Saturo (Saturated group)

Just an itty bitty of info on the LM GS/3

If you are looking at the GS3 I recommend having a perusal of the Vesuvius Similar price range and incredible functionality.

I've been mulling over a GS3 for a while. I don't think the 2-3k price differential over say the Alex or R58 is reflected in the functionality of the machine, and I think Talk Coffee's points above are a good analysis. But the reasons I'm still thinking about it are:
    The compact size really appeals to me, it's amazing to get such performance from quite a small box
    I like the visuals - I didn't when I first saw one years ago, but it's really grown on me.
    The resale value of a GS3 is going to be really strong, not sure if this is because of brand, build quality or just that there's not much to upgrade to from it, but I figure that if I buy one and have to sell for whatever reason, the loss in value won't hurt me.

The Vesuvius clearly has better functionality on paper than the GS3, (and no doubt a stronger chassis!) for about $1k less. However, the LM brand, to me at least, has more appeal. Maybe my view will change over time, particularly if the Vesuvius takes off in popularity, but I'm not much of an early adopter.

Jonathon - agree with all your comments. That is why I have my R58 for sale in the hardware section. GS3 ordered and to be delivered next Thursday.
    GS3 resale value was also a consideration for me as well as the footprint, the front loading water reservoir is of appeal to me as well.
    ca

Sorry final comment was meant to say can't wait to try the saturated head...

Faatshank I just sent you a pm.

Resale value shouldn't really be a consideration when you buy machines at the pointy end. You will always loose more in $ than on cheaper machines e.g. if a machine only cost $1000 that's all you can lose! Buy for performance, taste, reliability and ease/cheapness of maintenance...not resale value.

Disagree - in my humble view resale value is an important consideration. If we took your view then you would never spend more than $1,000! I change over and try new machinea regularly so important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Faatshank View Post
    Disagree - If we took your view then you would never spend more than $1,000!
    Completely confused how you get to the above opinion from what I said??

Sorry to confuse - agree that you buy for performance, taste and reliability. I guess at the pointy end I personally take some comfort in knowing that a high quality machine will generally have good resale value. A good example is the VBM Domobar Junior I purchased two years ago (2nd hand) for $1,600 with grinder. I sold the VBM last week for $1,400 and the grinder 12 months ago for $300. Agree you take more of a hair cut on a brand new machine.